• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 193
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 113
  • Total: 113
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Could do with some help with photoshop tutorial in Digital camera mag

Started by Geoff, January 29, 2014, 04:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Hi in the digital camera mag the was a few months ago now there was a disc with photoshop video's on, now I do a lot of the lessons of these, I have just come across one that I have not done, the pic open's in photoshop camera raw but on the video there are lots of tools on there that when I try to do the lesson I have not got the same tools as it shows on the video, the video is  noir_before.dng does anybody have any idea of what version of photoshop raw they would be using   

Geoff   

Andrew

blimey- is that still going? (Not that i look at tog mags much now)

Have you looked on their site (do they still have one?) Such things usually have the old files on them  etc...

1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Geoff

Hi Andrew, I have installed the update 7.4 to photoshop ellements 11.
Yes they are still around I get the mag every month, its the video lessons I enjoy doing, but in the one I am doing the image opens up in photoshop raw but the problem I have is that on the video he has a lot more tools than I have when it opens up in mine and I don't really understand why.
I have added pic's to help show what I mean the 1st one shows what is on the video note the extra tools,, the second one shows what tools I have.

Geoff

hssutton

What version of Photoshop are you using and have you got the latest Adobe Camera Raw for your version. It's ACR 6.7 for CS5, whereas CS6 version of ACR is 7.3.
I guess this is where you are seeing a difference.

Harry

Hinfrance

Geoff, the ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) from your Photoshop is the version that comes with Elements. It has 'basic' 'detail' and 'camera calibration' adjustments; the full version in Photoshop Cs and CC has 7 additional editing tabs.

Do you have a version of Elements or CS/CC?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Geoff

Hi I  have ellements 11,  photoshop  7, cs2,  lightroom 5 so what software will have the right raw editer it just say's
on the video photoshop and  photoshop raw.  I have done a lot of these tutorials and never had any issues

hssutton

Geoff do you have ACR v7.4 installed, if so then you will have to use Lightroom 8 where the interface is  different to Photoshop, but should give you all the tools you require to work on your tutorial.
I never use ACR in CS6 as I'm a Lightroom user, so can't help you much, but will look at the tutorial this evening and run it through Lightroom  and see what's what.

Harry

2Beers

Geoff try downloading the trial of photoshop from adobes website and the you should have the full range of tools as has already been said elements uses a cut down version of the software so you only get the basics

hssutton

Yes that is correct and it will cost you £8.78/mth. What it will cost in the future is anyone's guess.

I had a look at the tutorial and using Lightroom for the initial stages in ACR is very simple as all you are doing is using the Crop Tool & Adjustment Brush. There are plenty of tutorials on the web, but here's one to get you going.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-lightroom-4/adjustment-brush-the-basics/

Harry

Andrew

Quote from: Geoff MW6GCN on January 30, 2014, 01:44:48 PM
Hi Andrew, I have installed the update 7.4 to photoshop ellements 11.
Yes they are still around I get the mag every month, its the video lessons I enjoy doing, but in the one I am doing the image opens up in photoshop raw but the problem I have is that on the video he has a lot more tools than I have when it opens up in mine and I don't really understand why.
I have added pic's to help show what I mean the 1st one shows what is on the video note the extra tools,, the second one shows what tools I have.

Geoff

looking at that screen shot of ACR, it has the same sliders as the basic sliders at the top of development screen in LR5  - so that part should be ok. Just look at the adjustments made using those sliders and duplicate and save to non RAW image (tiff or PSD, what ever they're working with) and you will probably find the rest of the 'tools' can be found in Elements.

Call me tight, but i worl in LR only, and if i need something clever done involving layers or PS - i send the image off to a nice lady who makes the adjustments for about a Fiver. A fiver twice a year sure beats the hell out of £20 pcm! And I do credit her for doing some of the prost processing if the image is posted online etc.
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!

Hinfrance

I was dead against the rental idea too. But the monthly price they were charging for Photoshop CC represented for me the only chance I would get at having Photoshop. The previous whole licence product price was just so high it was unaffordable. It works out at just over £100 a year, which is probably slightly less than I would spend on upgrading Lightroom and Elements anyway. I had an additional incentive in that I really didn't like the new UI in Elements.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Andrew

Quote from: Geoff MW6GCN on February 04, 2014, 12:36:39 AM

Hi Andrew that's a good idea I can see why adobe are doing yet it still makes me mad because I like many others
on here have bought software and have been doing so for a long time so adobe are not really thinking of us, however
I can see to a degree why they have done it they are hoping to stop there software being copied , on saying that I have read somwere that it has already been copied as it would be no matter what they so.

Geoff

yep - the piracy thing was destroyed before the licensing even started. I know some one who has tried it and found they can even get the updates. But as a devout Aperture user - they did not persist with their 'gift'.

2Beers

Adobe CC was cracked the day they launched it or even the day before  also as Adobe don't use encryption on their customer details I wouldn't trust them with my details.

Hinfrance

I know what you mean Geoff - for my part I would always have a pukka copy of software - I am averse to 'freebies' on moral and, of course, malware grounds.

I am no more worried about Adobe losing my personal data than I am about any other site being hacked for it, and heaven knows there have been a lot of those lately (Adobe, Target, Walmart, Korea Credit Bureau to name but a few), and paying less for CC than I do for my weekly newspapers is OK - I know it seems a bit frightening but it's less than the cost of a pint a week.

Anyway, did you manage to get your head around that tutorial?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

hssutton

Quote from: Geoff MW6GCN on February 06, 2014, 12:29:31 AM
Thanks guys, we have strade a little I understane why you are going with adobe cc but will not I like to save for what I want the way adobe are doing it yo will be paying for these rest of your life.

Geoff

Yes it makes sense for newcomers to Photoshop to use  the Creative cloud. The people who where/are upset about all this are such as myself who over the years have paid a small fortune to Adobe. Having used Photoshop since v6, now on CS6 will give you some idea why there are so many disillusioned Photoshop users out there.

Harry 

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.