• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 35
  • Total: 35
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Warm Up Filters And White Balance

Started by Just Dave, July 30, 2011, 11:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Dave

Hi

Someone has just pointed out to me on my blog Clicky Linky that if I use a warm up filter and my White Balance is set to Auto, it will cancel out the warm up filter is that true or not?, as Im sure yesterday when I used one I could see the effect of it, anyone any thoughts on if it does compensate for it, Id be interested to hear, as i cant do a test, as it was my friend John's filter I used, TIA

Dave
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

Graham

I suspect it will try to compensate for the filter.
  The pixies in your camera don't know that youve put a filter on and just think it's late evening.
  Best thing is to try it. Go outside on a nice sunny day (Like today), bolt your filter on, set the white balance to sunny and  take a pic. Now do the same thing with the white balance set to auto and see if theres a difference.
               Graham. :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Just Dave

Ha Ha pixies  :2funny:

Thaks Graham I'll try that  :tup:
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

picsfor

The thing with White Balance is - you can change it in processing to change the look of the shot!

I always shoot RAW, and rarely change the WB - even with filters on. When i import the pics into LR3, i often play with the WB settings to see what effects they have on the pic. It's only a drop down menu and a couple of sliders. As it's lossless, it makes no difference!

The Software provided with Canon Cameras allows you to access all the stuff that you might of set in the camera, but after you've taken the shot - so it seems like it really doesn't matter...

Just Dave

Many thanks Andrew i too also use the WB in CS5, but thought Id have a go with the filters, so never gave it a thought until someone mentioned it, so no need to go out and buy any type of warm up or cooling filters just do it in PP, thats saved me cash to spend on other essentials.

Thanks again Graham and Andrew, for your explanations and thoughts on the subject  :tup: :tup: :tup:

Jonathan

Depends on the camera.

Most measure whibal through the lens and so will balance back to neutral.  Nikon pro series measure it with a sensor near the prism so they won't compensate for filters.
It's Guest's round

Just Dave

Thanks Jonathan

My cameras are Canon 7D and 400D

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.