• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 172
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 172
  • Total: 172
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

16 year old photographer detained...

Started by CML-1591, June 30, 2010, 10:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CML-1591

This is going around our #cuphot twitter thing so thought others would like to know...

http://photographyprison.tumblr.com/post/749968801/this-16-year-old-is-my-new-hero-photographer

The situation could have been avoided if the kid was a little less mouthy, good that he stood up for it all but a little less...
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

ABERS

What I found interesting was that the coppers were totally perplexed and unsure of their ground when he kept asking under what law he was being detained or warned under. They were reduced to grasping at straws in he end. It seemed that the fact he was recording everything was making them very nervous.

It only goes to show the large array of laws that are available to the police if they really want to nick you. ???

Full credit to the lad for sticking to his guns.

Hinfrance

Wrongful arrest - pennies in his pocket. That plod just cost his force a pretty penny.

He was being silly. Glad to hear that this is now a criminal offence.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Graham

Well yes, he's a gobby little sod but hat's off to him all the same.
     If he's in the way (No law against that.) let him do his job and ask to move along a bit.
     I suspect what gets most photographers backs up, is when police, security or whoever start talking about "Photographing children" and "Terrorism" with obvious and insulting insinuations.
     If there was an obstruction or breach of the peace then I doubt it was caused by a lone photographer....a photographer surrounded by a bunch of police officers, quite possibly.
                         Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

picsfor

I'm with the tog on this.
Photographing a parade, military or otherwise, is something that has been going on for years. In fact the news seems quite keen to report as many of these events as possible.
So what was Met Plod thinking of?

Yes, he may have been a gobby little sod but his arguments were well formed, his statements and questions were well presented and, it is this that I think, upset plod.
He didn't like it when it was pointed out to him that is actions were wrong on many counts.

The term "bully" comes to mind where this plod and his colleagues were concerned. Sue the police force? I would expect a variety of groups willing to stand up to take this on as a way of raising the profile of this issue once again...

hevans

Of all the voices in the audio, the photographer's was probably the most level headed, and none of his questions were answered by the police, who did appear to be grasping at straws. Of course he didn't seem to be answering their questions (but did provide his ID when requested, a sign of cooperation), but he didn't have to unless the police provide the particular law under which they are entitled to the details. 

I'm inclined to believe that the original police officer probably made an initial (small) mistake, and rather than admit it, and back down, had to keep going to avoid losing face, the illusion of authority and hope the accused capitulated. Not a strategy that should be heavily adopted by the police.

Is there any more to the story, i.e. a follow up on what happened after the audio went dead?

What is it with photographing children in public spaces? The law is quite clear: if you're in a public space you have no right to privacy, regardless of age. Or is there another law prohibiting photographing children entirely?

H

picsfor

Quote from: hevans on July 01, 2010, 09:21:49 AM
Or is there another law prohibiting photographing children entirely?

Yes, it's called "I'm a Professional Police Officer, Community Police Officer, Door Man, Bouncer, Work for a Security Firm, Wear an HVV as part of my uniform: all of which gives me the right to order any one about, whether legal or not, and have them arrested if they don't do as i tell them"

About sums it up.

Trickee

I think i would have taken the same stance as the photographer-sounds very unprofessional how the police dealt with this when true serious crimes are being committed.

Oldboy

It sums up the attitude of the Met police.  >:( Be interesting to see what happens if it goes to court.  :tup:

hevans

I wonder where the funding comes from that pays these fines (like in the Greek Embassy decision). Does it come from the police officer's wages, or from the Met's own budget?

If you or I are caught speeding while travelling for work, we're expected to pay the fine, not the company. Does it cut both ways?  I Doubt it.

£3500 × 2 is a pretty small amount for the Met to fork out, and it is the taypayer's money as well! Not much of a punishment for the Met. And it probably isn't enough to warrant a dressing down of the officers, probably looked on more as an occupational hazard.

H.

BTW, more info here: http://julesmattsson.wordpress.com/2010/06/28/the-romford-incident/, including links to other reports.

nickt

The police clearly have no idea what they're talking about. First they tried to bully him, then tell him he can't take photos of the military or of people in public places.They couldn't answer his questions and then accuse him of photographing children! On top of that, he gets thrown down the stairs and profanes. He's then told, he's an agitator. On this evidence if it goes to court, the police don't stand a chance.

Oldboy

Quote from: nickt on July 01, 2010, 07:27:16 PM
The police clearly have no idea what they're talking about. First they tried to bully him, then tell him he can't take photos of the military or of people in public places.They couldn't answer his questions and then accuse him of photographing children! On top of that, he gets thrown down the stairs and profanes. He's then told, he's an agitator. On this evidence if it goes to court, the police don't stand a chance.

Without the recording who would believe a 16 year old lad? The courts would take the word of the police officer everytime.  :(

picsfor

Quote from: Oldboy on July 01, 2010, 07:56:46 PM
Without the recording who would believe a 16 year old lad? The courts would take the word of the police officer everytime.  :(

And that's what makes it all so worrying - that our Police are turning out not to be the pillars of law that we should be able to put our trust in!

spinner

What I cannot comprehend in all of this, is why, after all of the publicity surrounding these incidents. Negative to the extreme for the Police. Why they continue to happen. Who the hell is in charge here? Either the Police have a right and a duty which can be clearly defended by a statute or they don't. If they don't, why hasn't someone taken them to task? And by someone I mean upper levels of gov't.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

spinner

And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.