• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 62
  • Total: 62
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

UPS - for PC and not carriers ;)

Started by anglefire, September 23, 2018, 12:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

Bought a new UPS the other day and got around to installing it last night when everyone else was out of the house.

Got it from Amazon though it actually came from another supplier!

Its a 1700va/700w job from APC and has a replaceable battery and USB connectivity - has 6 outlets and came with 2 leads to connect from the UPS to the supported devices. No input lead - as you use the one that was powering the one device!

I had a few more of the right type of lead so have 5 devices supported - PC and 3 NAS drives as well as one of my switches.

Only pulling 98w according to the software!

Would be nice to find a way of shutting the NAS drives down in the event of a power outage..... But they should work for over 30minutes in any event.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

SimonW

I have a similar but probably older model APC unit. It has proved it's worth several times including recently when the mains failed half way through burning an expensive blue ray m-disk. It's also great for keeping the router (and therefore internet) going for use of phones and laptops when the mains fails.

On mine several of the outputs switch off when the PC shuts down. And the unit shuts down the PC if its battery runs low (controlled via a USB connection and the A PC software) though I normally play safe by shutting down manually before it gets that far. Would supplying your NAS from a controlled output not do the job?

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

anglefire

QuoteWould supplying your NAS from a controlled output not do the job?

The NAS drives don't  know they are on battery so can't cleanly shutdown before the UPS shuts down, unless I can find away of telling them to!
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

SimonW

Yes. What you need is APC software on each NAS and multiple USB connectors from the UPS. Try asking APC. They might be helpful - probably bèen asked before.

(Spell checker driving me nuts - APC and UPS  change to A PC and SUB every time).

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

anglefire

Simon, I don't believe that you can't send USB to more than one device.

But on the APC forum there is mention of using the event log to trigger a command to shut down the NAS drives (They are linux boxes at the end of the day.)

Give the number of power cuts we have that last longer than a few minutes - actually a few seconds is rare - I'll not worry at the moment unless I get either a lot of spare time, or a lot of power cuts happen!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.