• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 85
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 70
  • Total: 70
millets
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

Nikon D3

Started by anglefire, October 26, 2009, 08:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

I went to a Studio shoot on Saturday in Manchester, where one of the guys had bought a D3 to go with his existing 1DsMkII.

Not only had he got the D3, he also had the 14-24 and 24-70 lenses.

Forgetting the ergonomics, some of which I loved, some I didn't (But only due to lack of knowledge rather than anything else) the image quality was stunning, at least on the back LCD, the noise (Or lack of it!) at ISO6400 was truely amazing.

Credit where credit is due its a stunning camera and with unlimited funds I would love to have one with the appropriate lenses. But unless I get a lottory win it ain't going to happen!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jonathan

Yeah the LCD is pretty nice ;)

I won't show anybody a snap on the back of the D2 (partly because I have the contrast ramped right up) but occasionally I'll let them peek at the D3.  They go wow every time.

Wouldn't surprise me if they stop making it very soon.
It's Guest's round

picsfor

yes - they certainly are a nice piece of kit.

The LCD on the Digic 4 Canon stuff is as nice but i've not seen real world noise comparisons between the 2 systems though i'm pretty happy with what i'm getting out of my 5D MkII.
That's saying something considering that at Xmas i was looking to migrate to Nikon D3 because of the low light and noise issue.
Tried one out in Park Cameras with the 2 lenses you mentioned and cut myself on the images they were so sharp.

It will be interesting to see how the 1D Mk IV compares (i know it's new technology over 'established' technology) but you have to  have a bench mark some where and doubtless the D4 is sitting just around the corner! 

CML-1591

Quote from: picsfor on October 26, 2009, 09:01:21 AM

It will be interesting to see how the 1D Mk IV compares (i know it's new technology over 'established' technology) but you have to  have a bench mark some where and doubtless the D4 is sitting just around the corner!  

I want to see the comparison between the D3s and the Mark IV, since they seem to be roughly the same amount...
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

anglefire

Quote from: CML-1591 on October 26, 2009, 05:07:31 PM
Quote from: picsfor on October 26, 2009, 09:01:21 AM

It will be interesting to see how the 1D Mk IV compares (i know it's new technology over 'established' technology) but you have to  have a bench mark some where and doubtless the D4 is sitting just around the corner!  

I want to see the comparison between the D3s and the Mark IV, since they seem to be roughly the same amount...

Interesting, but largely academic for most I suspect :)
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

Here's a shot from Saturday's Diwali celebrations in Birmingham of a singer shot at ISO 6400.  ;D
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2458/4048421206_6059fa27c1_b.jpg

picsfor

Nice picture - one simple question though.
Has the saturation been increased on the skin tones - or was that the natural colour? Reminds me of a certain Tango advert!

Graham

Quote from: picsfor on October 27, 2009, 06:00:25 AM
Has the saturation been increased on the skin tones - or was that the natural colour? Reminds me of a certain Tango advert!
That's stage lighting for you!
               Nice pic Oldboy!
                            Graham. :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Jonathan

Quote from: Oldboy on October 26, 2009, 11:43:58 PM
Here's a shot from Saturday's Diwali celebrations in Birmingham of a singer shot at ISO 6400.  ;D

Yeah but to be fair this is part of the problem.  It's very very easy to make stuff look great on the web.  Small size and any processing you want can make pics from a shoebox look fab (or arty if they are actually dodgy quality).  Also as you'd expect there's a fair amount of chroma noise in the light grey area.  Unless you clipped the blacks (and most default raw processing does this now since Adobe said it looked cool) there's going to be plenty of noise in the dark area on the blacks.  But none of that is noticeable at web size.

It's only when people see things big or straight from camera that they appreciate just how awesome this camera is.

I've probably shown this shot before...

and it looked pretty nice on the back of the camera.  John (a mate who commented on it) saw it the next week on my phone and loved it.  But it's only when you see this on a 40" LCD or in a big print that you start to realise how much the D3 changed the game for Nikon.
It's Guest's round

Oldboy

Quote from: picsfor on October 27, 2009, 06:00:25 AM

No it's stage lighting. It's the Jpeg straight from the camera, but I have saturation increased and sharpness set by the camera.  It was also shot at dusk. :tup:

oRGie

Quote from: Jonathan on October 27, 2009, 09:41:13 AM
Quote from: Oldboy on October 26, 2009, 11:43:58 PM
Here's a shot from Saturday's Diwali celebrations in Birmingham of a singer shot at ISO 6400.  ;D

Yeah but to be fair this is part of the problem.  It's very very easy to make stuff look great on the web.  Small size and any processing you want can make pics from a shoebox look fab (or arty if they are actually dodgy quality).  Also as you'd expect there's a fair amount of chroma noise in the light grey area.  Unless you clipped the blacks (and most default raw processing does this now since Adobe said it looked cool) there's going to be plenty of noise in the dark area on the blacks.  But none of that is noticeable at web size.

It's only when people see things big or straight from camera that they appreciate just how awesome this camera is.

I've probably shown this shot before...

and it looked pretty nice on the back of the camera.  John (a mate who commented on it) saw it the next week on my phone and loved it.  But it's only when you see this on a 40" LCD or in a big print that you start to realise how much the D3 changed the game for Nikon.

Would be grreat to see the exif on that shot, so D3, but what lens, shutter, ap, iso ?   Really is a fab shot ;)

Jonathan

Quote from: oRGie on October 27, 2009, 12:07:27 PM
Would be grreat to see the exif on that shot, so D3, but what lens, shutter, ap, iso ?   Really is a fab shot ;)

Cheers :)

Just click on it and rummage around on the Flickr page....
It's Guest's round

oRGie

Quote from: Jonathan on October 27, 2009, 12:34:33 PM

tried that, its on a private gallery of yours ;)

anglefire

Quote from: Jonathan on October 27, 2009, 09:41:13 AM

Snip...  John (a mate who commented on it) saw it the next week on my phone and loved it.  But it's only when you see this on a 40" LCD or in a big print that you start to realise how much the D3 changed the game for Nikon.

I think that says it all - The D3 has been a massive boost for Nikon - and ultimately everyone else as they have been put on the back foot - particularly Canon, who have had good ISO performance for years and now play catch up. With any luck the 1DMkIV and subsequent 1DsMkIV will be somewhere close to the D3 / D3s to at least keep up the competition.

All good stuff in the end.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jonathan

Quote from: oRGie on October 27, 2009, 01:09:10 PM
Quote from: Jonathan on October 27, 2009, 12:34:33 PM

tried that, its on a private gallery of yours ;)

How strange.  You left clicked not right, right?  Should take you right to Flickr - it's public + in Explore ;)

Anyway....2,500 ISO, 1/100s f/2.8 200mm.  70 - 200 VR braced on the floor.
It's Guest's round

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.