• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 56
  • Total: 56
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinner

Quote from: Al Birmingham on October 02, 2009, 08:56:04 PM
My law teacher at college was always quick to point out that the two things are very different. If an 18 year old girl had been in trouble for the same thing there wouldn't be the same fuss and in the eyes of criminal law there is no difference between an 18 year old and a 78 year old because both are adults.

But isn't the law open to interpretation and that's why we have Judges. If someone's going to say there's no difference then do away with courts and just jail people.  Surely anyone with a modicum of intelligence could have seen this as a huge miscarriage of justice.  >:( Oops, forgot we were talking about a Judge here.  ::)
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

skellum

Quote from: spinner on October 03, 2009, 06:09:10 PM
Quote from: Al Birmingham on October 02, 2009, 08:56:04 PM
My law teacher at college was always quick to point out that the two things are very different. If an 18 year old girl had been in trouble for the same thing there wouldn't be the same fuss and in the eyes of criminal law there is no difference between an 18 year old and a 78 year old because both are adults.

But isn't the law open to interpretation and that's why we have Judges. If someone's going to say there's no difference then do away with courts and just jail people.  Surely anyone with a modicum of intelligence could have seen this as a huge miscarriage of justice.  >:( Oops, forgot we were talking about a Judge here.  ::)

We have just had a Judge arrested here for drink driving........ :legit:

greypoint

Awful news by phone - while we were out my friends dog managed to climb onto a work surface in the kitchen and steal a bottle of painkillers prescribed for their other elderly dog from the window sill - no trace of them so it's assumed she ate them all. Rushed to the vets and now on a drip as the outcome could be kidney failure. The end of a perfect day :(  She'll be devastated if anything happens to her as she's a bit special being totally deaf due to being hit around the head as a puppy and having had a lot of patient care and training to bring her round. Just goes to show the effect of a simple mistake of not putting things safely out of reach.

Al Birmingham

Hey, I'm no lawyer but yes, the law must be open to interpretation and not just by judges, the Police do a fair bit of interpretation don't they? I was just trying to show that although clearly an unfair and frankly morally wrong decision, in the eyes of the law it was probably a right decision - I'll get my coat! ???
Al Birmingham

Nemesis

Actually yesterday, finding that my G1 won't recognize my spare 3rd party battery - guess I should have checked the F/W version first  :doh:

Sarasocke

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

greypoint

Jonathan

Quote from: greypoint on October 02, 2009, 06:35:24 PM
My friend had an apologetic phone call from the secretary of tomorrow's show saying this 'pro' would be there and had  requested I did'nt take photos.

OK, let's inject a little reality here.

No I don't like any of those pictures - though I can't remember ever seeing a picture of somebody else's dog I would buy.

Yes I think it's a shame that Sue's friends won't get free pics of their dogs because Mr Pro has asked her not to take them.

But consider this......

Imagine you go to an event every year (dog show, horses, concert, supercars whatever) and always take a few sandwiches with you.  Some of your friends go and being a nice person you make some butties in case they are hungry too.  Of course you don't charge them because they are friends.  Time goes on and you notice lots of people turn up without food.  Now you always have plenty of food and there are loads of people at home to eat up any extras so you make loads of sarnies.  Anybody is welcome to have some but it's only fair you get paid for the bread and spreads and a little more for your trouble.

Then a guy notices that there are loads of people meeting there and that many of them are hungry.  He talks to the organisers because he has a burger van.  He has no real interest in feeding people but he provides burgers for money.  He could go anywhere that day and make a few quid to pay his mortgage, for the kids school clothes etc..  Of course being a responsible burger van owner he pays for health inspections, insurance, training courses to keep up with hygiene laws and for a license.  He also invests in the latest burger van (which, let's be honest he doesn't use for anything else) and several different ketchup bottles for different relishes.  Of course he pays taxes and vat on his hot takeaway food.

The organisers say "sure, come along, don't go to the beach that day and sell burgers there, come here instead and feed our starving punters".  Money may even change hands (no, really).

Now of course his burger van doesn't stop you taking your own food (this isn't Disney after all).  But I can quite see why he'd want to make sure that nobody else was selling food to compete with him (after all he's given up a lucrative pitch outside a Weight Watchers meeting to be there).

And in all that, does it matter that his burgers taste like dog food?  Nope.  He's still paying for health inspections and licenses and probably for the pitch and taxes and vat and everything.  And he still has to eat.
It's Guest's round

greypoint

Jonathan I would agree if this chap had invested money in equipment and was doing it for a living - but he uses a budget camera with kit lens and is there because he's in with someone on the committee. We're not talking about some proper pro. I sell prints of stuff I've worked on as well as using photos in the ways I've said - it's just that record shot/snaps are available to friends FOC because they're A not worth anything [except as a thankyou for supporting our charity] and B the people I'm talking about would'nt buy anyway - the main reason I take photos at shows is because I like photographing dogs - some people enjoy photographing kids and weddings, I enjoy photographing dogs! I've been involved with the world of pedigree dogs for a long time and there are those of us who do like looking at pictures of dogs more than many other subjects - hard to believe but true. As I've said before, there appears to be a hierarchy of subjects among photographers.
But I'd point out that choice is good - I would'nt have the slightest worry if he took photos at one of our own shows - let people choose. I do object to being singled out when others take photos too -lots of people do in this digital age - should I be flattered because he's rattled. If a photographer from one of the weekly dog papers had been in attendance he would'nt have given a toss about me taking a few snaps because he would be taking show poses of BOBs and Best Puppies - pictures that would no doubt be bought by proud owners. I suppose the problem today is that everyone thinks they're a pro once they've mastered the basics of their DSLR.

Jonathan

Quote from: greypoint on October 04, 2009, 07:22:43 PM
the main reason I take photos at shows is because I like photographing dogs

Why did he single you out?  Because you're better than him?  Or because he thinks you're making money?

Did you talk to him about his concerns?
It's Guest's round

greypoint

I tend to collate my pictures and make stuff to sell during the winter months. During the summer when I'm out actually taking pictures at the weekend, I upload a selection onto Flickr - lots of people have the address and look them up - mostly we'll have a word at the next show and arrange of they want anything made with their dog on - eg I'll soon be sorting calendars. He complained that he was'nt selling because my pictures are on Flickr - my pictures are on flickr because I like to put my pictures on flickr not to advertise them for sale. It's actually a good way of contacting others interested in dogs in other parts of the world. I quite like having my stuff on foreign breed sites - some ask some don't - but they usually link back so I know. All I want to do is to be able to get on with my hobby as I've done for a very long time - and if I give stuff away it's usually repaid in kind - I've given up caring over much about money.

greypoint

Quote from: greypoint on October 04, 2009, 06:53:09 PM
Quote from: Sarasocke on October 04, 2009, 06:43:51 PM
Sue - hope she'll be OK.

Still waiting for news

After two days on a drip she's been given the all clear - being overweight helped I'm told. Expensive weekend though.

CML-1591

Quote from: greypoint on October 05, 2009, 06:35:39 PM
Quote from: greypoint on October 04, 2009, 06:53:09 PM
Quote from: Sarasocke on October 04, 2009, 06:43:51 PM
Sue - hope she'll be OK.

Still waiting for news

After two days on a drip she's been given the all clear - being overweight helped I'm told.

Good to hear.

I have deleted my London time lapse video off  my camera and forgot to back it up, anyway to get it off flickr?
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

hevans

Quote from: ABERS on October 06, 2009, 07:41:34 AM
Is it at all worth the bother? ::)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8291330.stm

I'd suggest bringing back the public stocks and let us chuck rotten vegetables at them. It would make a fine reality TV show and so potentially self financing.

H.

Hmm... seems the swear filter takes exception to tubours and other green things that are allegedly healthy for us.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.