• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 178
  • Total: 178
  • Google
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jonathan

I dropped my camera.

D3 + 70-200 4 feet onto stone floor with the whole congregation watching.  Lens and camera came apart and the lens bounced down some stone steps.

Lens hood split and crack to front part of the barrel of the lens.  Camera and lens both appear to be working OK but I should probably get them checked.  Camera had just been serviced and focus was absolutely spot on.  I have a wedding on Thursday, big one on Saturday and a party (to photograph) Saturday night.

Oops.
It's Guest's round

Graham

Quote from: Jonathan on September 18, 2010, 03:21:29 PM
I dropped my camera.

D3 + 70-200 4 feet onto stone floor with the whole congregation watching.  Lens and camera came apart and the lens bounced down some stone steps.

Lens hood split and crack to front part of the barrel of the lens.  Camera and lens both appear to be working OK but I should probably get them checked.  Camera had just been serviced and focus was absolutely spot on.  I have a wedding on Thursday, big one on Saturday and a party (to photograph) Saturday night.

Oops.
It's a strange feeling is'nt it, a combination of sickness and embarasment.
          Lucky it was'nt an expensive one!
                      Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

Quote from: Jonathan on September 18, 2010, 03:21:29 PM
I dropped my camera.

Oops.

Butter fingers!  :'(

That's why I always wear it round my neck.  ;D

anglefire

I do normally - but last year I'd hired a 300mm f2,8 and was using the lens strap - and forgot - so let go of the lens body when I took off the 300 - dropped about 2' on to the ground. Grass luckily! Still works fine.

But its not something to be recommended!

Can you get them to Nikon and back in Time Jonathan? I don't know what Nikon service is like, but my membership to CPS means about a 2 or 3 day turnaround with loan gear available if needed too - and I think its free if the repair is over the agreed time. I assume Nikon is similar?
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

picsfor

Quote from: anglefire on September 18, 2010, 07:48:44 PM
Can you get them to Nikon and back in Time Jonathan?

If not, he'll have to make do with a D3s  ;)

Though i should, by may of not tempting fate, there but for the grace of god...

anglefire

Yeah, but any pro would not go out without backups.

Which is handy he has the Blad at least  :tup:
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

rksmith51

Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

Jonathan

Thanks everyone.

I have shoulder straps on the Nikons but never put them round my neck.  Very bad for posture - do it a few times and you're half way to a bad back.

As for getting it checked before Thursday....in theory it's possible.  Courier pick up Monday, deliver Tues, techs look at it late Tues and get same day collection.  Back here Wednesday.  But really it's too risky.  Plus a lot of the loan kit and some of the techs will be at London Fashion Week.  Fastest way to get work done would actually be to crash LFW - there's usually a Nikon desk there.

But close inspection of the files shows they were both working fine after impact.  Bit of black dick tape and they will be good as new.
It's Guest's round

Graham

I think you mean DUCK tape sir.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

picsfor

crushed my right hand when stacking things in storage (and a whole pile collapsed).
thank heavens Mac's don't have  a right click on the mouse.
Pain is, well a pain  :o, and all swollen up, so no pint taking camera today - can't press the button  :'(

Sarasocke

I did my very first wedding couple of weeks ago. The results were OK considering I had no wedding experience. I put up this gallery for the bride to have a quick look.
http://picasaweb.google.de/herbcar/WendyDaniel?authkey=Gv1sRgCI61xt3v37n2Uw#
I sent her the original pics on a cd and she's made her own Picasa album, of course without my "sarasocke" on my photos and has mixed in a couple of photos from other camera wielding guests.
The link http://picasaweb.google.de/herbcar/WendyDaniel?authkey=Gv1sRgCI61xt3v37n2Uw# is being posted all over the place by the bride. Have a look a photo number 40 for instance. Or 42. Or 69 .....

I think I want to cry ....  :(

I really don't know what to do, I don't know where she's being distributing her own online album, and I don't know what to say to her.
Or just forget it and not look at the album any more?
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Oldboy

Quote from: Sarasocke on September 19, 2010, 09:36:53 PM
I did my very first wedding couple of weeks ago. The results were OK considering I had no wedding experience. I put up this gallery for the bride to have a quick look.
http://picasaweb.google.de/herbcar/WendyDaniel?authkey=Gv1sRgCI61xt3v37n2Uw#
I sent her the original pics on a cd and she's made her own Picasa album, of course without my "sarasocke" on my photos and has mixed in a couple of photos from other camera wielding guests.
The link http://picasaweb.google.de/herbcar/WendyDaniel?authkey=Gv1sRgCI61xt3v37n2Uw# is being posted all over the place by the bride. Have a look a photo number 40 for instance. Or 42. Or 69 .....

I think I want to cry ....  :(

I really don't know what to do, I don't know where she's being distributing her own online album, and I don't know what to say to her.
Or just forget it and not look at the album any more?

You've posted the same link twice.  If she has removed your copyright notice then she is breaking the law, unless you gave her the copyright. What you do about is upto to you and how far you want to take it. A gentle word might be best, but if that fails then you might need to seek redress in some form or other.  :(

Great set of pictures. Well done.  :tup:

Jonathan

Quote from: Oldboy on September 19, 2010, 11:02:53 PM
If she has removed your copyright notice then she is breaking the law, unless you gave her the copyright.

Sigh......  No.  No she's not.  It's possible that she's breaking the terms of a copyright agreement and infringing Carol's moral rights which are rolled up into the CD&P but I can't see how she is breaking one of the criminal sections of the act (sorry if this seems harsh - 99% of all forum posts on copyright are just flat out wrong.  Every time wrong information about the act is circulated it is weakened.)  Like most law it's more complicated than you think.  Section VI outlines the difference bewteen criminal infringement and civil infringement.

Out of interest, Carol may be infringing the act here by publishing a link to the pictures.  (NOBODY ever believes me about this - check out section 85 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/section/85)

However, I'm guessing we are talking about German law here.  And that's still pretty much a separate country...

I literally can't see what the problem is (cos you have linked to the same place twice ;) ) but it sounds similar to you buying her a painting of rare artistic beauty and watching her hang it next to scrawls by her cat.  Ignorant and extremely annoying.  But really what can you do.....?  Anybody with any taste and sense will spot the difference.  As for the others.....who cares?
It's Guest's round

Sarasocke

Sorry was so fed up last night, I posted the wrong link. The bride's own album is here

http://picasaweb.google.de/Crispysworld/HochzeitWendyDaniel#

I'm still on a steep learning curve as to what I supply to the customer and what not. In this case, they received a CD with all the photos reduced in size and with my copyright (as in MY web-album) + a DVD with posh picture printed on it containing the originals. The bride has posted photos taken from the originals without the copyright in her album but has a couple of duds in between. She has said herself that the others weren't "proper" photographers.

Quotea painting of rare artistic beauty and watching her hang it next to scrawls by her cat.
As long as the artists name is on the painting, no problem.

I don't mind her posting my photos wherever she wants, but it would have been nice to have a reference to me as the photographer, also to the others who took other pics. She also has no problems at all in me showing the photos I took anywhere I want. Her Picasa album is open to the general public, so there's no problem there either. Tbh I think she just didn't think about it.

The forum where she posted the link is a large dog forum and it's here where I find the occasional customer.
I've now posted something in the other forum about other togs taking pics which can be seen in Wendy's album, and posting the auth. key to my album.

Jessas it's complicated .....

Don't know if I'll ever do another wedding, but I've certainly learned a lot from this one!
For "normal" shoots I now only hand over digital photos in reduced size and with my copyright + a certain number of prints. That seems to be working out OK so far .....
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.