• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 21
  • Total: 21
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greypoint

Quote from: Tringle WP on May 11, 2010, 09:53:39 AM
. .  unless part of the reform is cutting Scotland loose, in which case it'll be a Conservative monopoly in England.

French politics is much more fun. What is really going on between Carla Bruni's legs?

You may have Carla Bruni but we had Anne Widdecombe ;D

hevans

Quote from: greypoint on May 11, 2010, 01:17:39 PM
Quote from: Tringle WP on May 11, 2010, 09:53:39 AM
. .  unless part of the reform is cutting Scotland loose, in which case it'll be a Conservative monopoly in England.

French politics is much more fun. What is really going on between Carla Bruni's legs?

You may have Carla Bruni but we had Anne Widdecombe ;D

Well, the thought of what's going on between AW's legs was not something I needed just after lunch. Bleagh! (where's the vomit smiley?)

Thanks,

Hugh

Eileen

Oh well, time to see what a Liberal/Conservative Govt can do. I've been thinking a good deal about how badly served we sometimes are by the press and news media generally, in that the facts are often of less interest than getting a good byline. I read something in one of the broadsheets the other day where the impression made in a headline was flatly contradicted in a small box on the same page which set out the facts of the case. I assume they relied on the fact that most people wouldn't get too far beyond the headline and a few paras of text. This doesn't just apply to politics: science and health reporting is often pretty poor too. The article in the link below makes interesting reading in that context. It shows the results of a number of studies which have found that attempts to correct misleading information often serve to reinforce any prejudice caused by the initial article. http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/may/01/bad-science-election-smears/print

This quote pretty much sums up the findings:

"All the studies found the same thing: if a dodgy fact fits with your prejudices, a correction only reinforces these. If your goal is to move opinion, this depressing finding suggests that smears work and, what's more, corrections don't challenge them much: because for people who already agree with you, it only make them agree even more."

For anyone interested in separating the wheat from the chaff and trying to make sense of the world around us, the article and the study underlying it is very interesting reading.

picsfor

Quote from: Eileen on May 11, 2010, 09:26:07 PM
For anyone interested in separating the wheat from the chaff 

Nearly got it Eileen.

Where reasoned and objective thinking is the concerned - the phrase is "separate the wheat from the chav's"  :2funny:

anglefire

Not today, but last Tuesday.

I was sat in the airport in Copenhagen waiting for my return flight, and the Daily Mail was available to read.

What an absolute load to tosh! It was so bias that I think Gengis Khan looked moderate.

I have been reminded as to why I don't buy newspapers - I want facts, not opinion, which is what I thought a newspaper should be reporting.

I also get pissed off when they say (All media!) "The government is going to announce..............." Which means they haven't yet, so its not a fact. News these days is reporting what is going to happen and not what has happened.

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Graham

Quote from: anglefire on May 15, 2010, 09:41:24 AM
Not today, but last Tuesday.

I was sat in the airport in Copenhagen waiting for my return flight, and the Daily Mail was available to read.

What an absolute load to tosh! It was so bias that I think Gengis Khan looked moderate.

I have been reminded as to why I don't buy newspapers - I want facts, not opinion, which is what I thought a newspaper should be reporting.

I also get pissed off when they say (All media!) "The government is going to announce..............." Which means they haven't yet, so its not a fact. News these days is reporting what is going to happen and not what has happened.

I've long since given up looking at newspapers (I don't think I've ever actually read one).
                         Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

hevans

Not today, but thursday (long weekend here).

Got to the boat, went to open the camera bag and realised that I had not only forgotten the CF card, and batteries, but also the camera itself. Lenses were somewhat useless without it. Shame the forum doesn't have a smiley with egg on the face.  :-[

H.

Oldboy

Quote from: hevans on May 16, 2010, 08:37:17 PM
Not today, but thursday (long weekend here).

Got to the boat, went to open the camera bag and realised that I had not only forgotten the CF card, and batteries, but also the camera itself. Lenses were somewhat useless without it. Shame the forum doesn't have a smiley with egg on the face.  :-[

H.

Getting old are we.  :doh: :legit:

spinner

Excellent reminder/timing for me though. Our long weekend is this one coming, so I'm going to put my kit together now so's I'm not disappointed.  ;D  :legit:
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

hevans

Quote from: spinner on May 17, 2010, 02:41:35 PM
Excellent reminder/timing for me though. Our long weekend is this one coming, so I'm going to put my kit together now so's I'm not disappointed.  ;D  :legit:

Just don't forget the essentials!
:D

spinner

Quote from: hevans on May 17, 2010, 10:55:01 PM
Quote from: spinner on May 17, 2010, 02:41:35 PM

Just don't forget the essentials!
:D

The beer? Never!
Ol' blue eyes

ABERS

Democracy gone mad??

Today we have a man who polled just 23% of the total vote telling us what is going to happen to our democratic system.

This is what happens when power hungry politicians roll over and have their tummies tickled and accede to anything just to grab the reins.

How can the 77% of those who voted not to have him anywhere near the offices of power take it seriuosly.
Tail, dog and wagging come to mind!   >:(

spinner

Alan, for the Paranoid among you. A brief tale of political woe. Around about the last recession, we had a Party leader elected as Premier of the Province of Ontario with less than 38% popular vote, but worse than that, he got a majority gov't and ruled for 4 yrs. A lot of people say he ruined the province with a huge deficit when done. And the really funny part was, the day after the election you couldn't find one person who admitted they'd voted for him.  >:( Politics is a strange animal.
Ol' blue eyes

hevans

Quote from: ABERS on May 19, 2010, 12:35:42 PM
Democracy gone mad??

Today we have a man who polled just 23% of the total vote telling us what is going to happen to our democratic system.

This is what happens when power hungry politicians roll over and have their tummies tickled and accede to anything just to grab the reins.

How can the 77% of those who voted not to have him anywhere near the offices of power take it seriuosly.
Tail, dog and wagging come to mind!   >:(

Dunno, but they seem to include a referendum on the changes, which would give the changes a democratic mandate. Unlike the last govt that changed the House of Lords to suit their own needs without asking the public at all.

H.

jimthetrain

This has been annoying me for a while now. My laptop decided a while ago not to boot up and display a screen with lines and blotches everywhere. After numerous attempts it finally decided to work so I took the opportunity to back up all my videos off the second hard drive which was a success. Then it wouldn't boot up again for a few days. Tried the recovery dvd and still got no joy as it wouldn't even read it. Just tried again now and it read the disc so I thought go for the full recovery and start a fresh. It read disc one and formatted 80% of the drive so I inserted disc two and this formatted the remaining 20%. Then as it was going to load the original content it through an error code up and duly shut down. As it restarted, it said that boot something or another was missing. Started again with disc one but this time tried the recovery from the hard drive. All was well until loading the original windows content and the same error code came up. Now I have a laptop that won't load windows on to it and having wiped the original drive this is now blank. Now the screen has gone all liney again. Would swapping drive two for drive one to load windows on make any difference? or should I put that six pound lump hammer to some practical use. :D
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.