• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 64
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 28
  • Total: 28
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Hit, Miss or Maybe - London Eye

Started by Darren1978, August 27, 2009, 08:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren1978

Ok, here goes then....this was taken before I really got into photography, and was a shot I was quite pleased with at the time., however, having progressed (I hope!) in my photography, I still look back at this shot now, and there is still something I quite like about it.  Its on my flickr page and is the only shot on there with 1 view, which either suggests that people can't be bothered to scroll through pages of pics to find this, or its a miss...so I thought it was an ideal candidate to post up on here - to find out of it is the latter  ;)

Fire away.....

Simple

Ok Darren, Here goes my tuppence worth.
It is a miss for me. It would be an absolute pass if the lighting was reversed. So as a negative this would be stunning.
Technically the picture hits all the right buttons, composition interest and lead in etc. But the eye is always guided to the lightest part in an image, and the lead-in from the metal structure leads you to a dark item. As soon as you arrive at the dark item the bright structure is pulling you down, making it hard to concentrate on the bubble with the people. Hence if it was a dark structure and light bubble it would be perfect. I would try to lighten the bubble in PS or LR. If you know your way around that, try a white to black gradient overlay set to soft light on the pic.
And as I said before, technically it is very good.
Simon

Chris P

It's a maybe for me.

I like the composition and I agree it would work better as a negative - I'd try a colour negative rather and a B+W.  I'd also try cross-processing it as I think the more unusual colour rendition would add something.

I love the lighting on the structure though.

jinky

A maybe for me too as I like the composition and if you could just lighten up the pod and get some interest in there it would work for me. Nice lead in and  interesting angle on a much photographed structure.

Oldboy

Could be a hit if you straighten the capsule and used curves to bring out more detail. Unusual angle really makes it standout.  ;D

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.