• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 70
  • Total: 70
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Photographers Rights

Started by Lifeboat1721, February 04, 2010, 07:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lifeboat1721

Have you ever had the police ask you to move on >:( or been stopped and searched under section 44??

I have been stopped a couple of times at Heysham once by the British Transport Police who just wanted to see what I had taken  ;D ;D The second was by the Nuclear Police with there guns and pistols wanting to know what I was doing there. I explained that I was waiting for a cargo boat to arrive while waiting they did a full ID check and I now keep a copy in my kit bag in case I get stopped again.

If so you may find this interesting.. V2 is the latest (Sorry if it's been posted before)
http://www.sirimo.co.uk/2009/05/14/uk-photographers-rights-v2/

Ian

Support The RNLI, As you may need them one day...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8749230@N08/

picsfor

Welcome to CC and the world of modern photography.

This is a well worn discussion. Surprised at BT Police - you're sure it was genuine BT Police?
Jim and i have never actually seen them despite asking for their presence on numerous occasions  :D :2funny:

As for the Nuclear guys, it is a sad fact they have to go pointing guns at any one with a camera as Jonathan has mentioned on one or two occasions down at his local Nuclear Plant.
I'm sure I've got a picture or two of a flask if you want one for your collection - and I'll even include some men in white suits waving Geiger Counters around!

It is a sad fact of life that you must get familiar with being questioned over your activities. I tend to carry a multitude of ID with me now for this very reason - sadly.

greypoint

The Metropolitan Police commissioner on Five Live this morning was questioned on the subject of photographers being stopped by his officers and said they had been given specific orders not to harrass photographers unless they really had good reason to believe their activities were part of some kind of 'terrorist' threat.

anglefire

Thanks for the update to the summary of the current legal position.

I've only been stopped once when I was photographing inside of a building in Birmingham early one Sunday morning - but when I showed them what I was doing they were ok.

I have said this somewhere else I think - I walked from Tower Bridge, through the city, past St Pauls and a bit beyond during the evening last year and wasn't stopped once, despite carrying a 5D and 24-105 (Or was it a 17-40?).
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Lifeboat1721

Hi guys, as regards it was BTP as he had a car and it was on his Jacket, And the Nuclear guys they were and still are fine with me if I'm on there side but on the other side of the fence they will stop and have a chat..

One new pair drove around the dock asked what I was doing and if I was taking pics of the "Power Station"?? my reply "NO I don't take picks of concrete blocks" they asked if I had been checked before and I showed them my copy of my check and he noticed that another officer had made a note saying that I had a Glass eye?? "I said yes I have do you want me to take it out"  ;D ;D They declined my offer got back in there car and went.

All part of the fun

Ian
Support The RNLI, As you may need them one day...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8749230@N08/

picsfor

Quote from: anglefire on February 04, 2010, 08:24:13 PM
I have said this somewhere else I think - I walked from Tower Bridge, through the city, past St Pauls and a bit beyond during the evening last year and wasn't stopped once, despite carrying a 5D and 24-105 (Or was it a 17-40?).

See, you just carried it around - you should try actually using it and see what happens  :tup: :2funny: :2funny: :D

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.