• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 23
  • Total: 23
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Astro Photography

Started by bones615, October 20, 2014, 09:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bones615

My latest project. I built a barn door tracker and it seems to work, follows the stars with the power of my index finger. Started off mounted on my tripod but too much movement so its now on an adjustable stand and clamped to my workmate once lined up. Got these last night ISO 1600, f8, 190mm one was 20 shots at 15 secs & 10 shots at 30 secs.

I know nothing about the night sky so learning as i go. Use google star maps on my tablet then point the camera, this time it was andromeda.

bones615

The tool.

Graham

Its people like you who go into the garage and produce something like that make me proud to be human. :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Quote from: Graham on October 20, 2014, 11:13:39 PM
Its people like you who go into the garage and produce something like that make me proud to be human. :tup:

It might have been easier to buy the Azimuthal mount motorised astro tripods, but so much more fun to build your own. Well done.  :tup:

bones615

Thankyou for the kind comments, and yes buying one would be easier but wheres the fun in that. I find the challenge of building it and making it work properly more stimulating and once perfected may never look at it again unless it perks an interest in star gazing. I can motorize it with a stepper motor and micro controller but it will then owe me £25 so i will wait and see if an interest develops.

Reinardina

The images are amazing, and the fact that you built the whole set up yourself, is even more amazing. (At least to someone like me.)

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

bones615

Thanks Reinardina, I cant take all the credit though, found these build plans and modified them to suit the materials i had to hand.

http://barn-door-tracker.co.uk/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.