• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 211
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 217
  • Total: 217
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Favourite camera mag

Started by chris@seary.com, November 13, 2009, 10:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris@seary.com

What's your favourite mag?

I discovered American Photo when I was over in Seattle a couple of years ago. Absolutely stunned by the idea of original photography, interviews with famous photographers, no repetitious seasonal articles and almost no mention of equipment.

How about you lot?   :)

picsfor

It used to be DCM - but that died with the conversion to 'Pradar' - although i think i had been losing interest about a year before then.

Very much enjoy the 'Photo Pro Mag' and 'Professional Photographer' - not because i'm a pro or that good, i just like to see what's out there and what the 'pros' are getting up to...

Bigbill

Hewwo from Stormy Sheffy,

I like Digital Photo,its not a particularly deep mag,but does usualy have lots of good practical advice in it,
Just lately though,ive moved away from mags,and more into books,Scottt Kelby and Dan Margulis being my current tomes on the go.
Photo mags seem to be going the same way that fishing mags whent,thinly disguised vehicles for advertising one brand over another,,,,,
you know the sort of thing,one major maker definitely favoured over another,you have to have sympathy for any newbies sucked in by this shallow approach.
This months DCM is a prime example,take out the reader shots and advertising,and whats actualy left ?

Shine On

picsfor

oh you had a look then?

Yes i quickly went through it - and as you say not a lot left in once you take out reader piccies.
What interested me was that 'Hotshot of the Month' is an old picture from Ken Wilson of Brighton West Pier. I know it's an old picture because it was taken using a Nikon Coolpix 8700.
Don't get me wrong, i'm not knocking the camera (i used to own its predecessor the 5700) or 'an old pic' - it just leaves me wondering why they haven't got any 'new pics' to offer up as hotshot of the month.
Another of the hot shots is an 'oldie' of the Taj Mahal framed from an archway with some one silhouetted sitting on the floor. Seem to recall seeing that on the DCM gallery a few years a go.

Magazine seems to be going the way of the site!

As for buying mags nowadays, generally too busy sorting out my library and learning how to use Lightroom to greater efficiency.

The down side to this though Bill is...

No mags - no one to sell your pictures to...

jinky

Well I cancelled DC Mag a few months ago because of the PR fiasco and have just cancelled Photography Monthly and like Bill looking at books now. Got a free copy of Scott Kelby`s new one for organising a Leeds PhotoWalk as part of his world wide event and although I set out to hate it because of their rubbish organisation when I finally got it I quite liked the little tips etc andhave read the lot in 2 days.
Talking of old shots those of you getting the magazine will see an old one of mine published this month  in the runner up bit of the Your Mission bit with my tree silhouette so should have said DC mag really - but I won`t. Might have to buy it when it hits the shelves though for the 5 seconds of fame  ;)

minky_monkey

I like DSLR Photography.

There`s usually a great range of shots, with interesting articles.  I`m also a subscriber to DSLR User, although that`s tailed of a bit lately.

greypoint

When I realised it took about ten minutes to read the interesting bits I stopped wasting £3-£5 on photo mags. Used to like Photography Monthly as that had more content than most. Not that interested in photography other than taking a few snaps I suppose ::)

spinner

I subscribed to Outdoor Photography Canada. It's actually a local (to me) publisher. It's about places to see and photograph in Canada, so there's a greater likelyhood I'll visit those, as opposed to European venues.  ;D
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

picsfor

Quote from: greypoint on November 14, 2009, 12:40:34 PM
When I realised it took about ten minutes to read the interesting bits

you mean you didn't watch the video and try out the exercises?  ::)

chris@seary.com

Has anyone seen PhotoIcon recently? I hope it hasn't stopped being published.

ABERS

I have just received the latest edition of Ag, a magazine that stands head and shoulders above any other that I have seen.

Sorry but no interminable pages of advertising and product reviews, just pictures and interesting takes on photography by those that produce images worth looking at, and one or two tips on how the images were achieved. It's not a magazine that promises to make you into a stunning photographer and is written in adult style using proper photographic terms. It may not appeal to those that are 'competition orientated', there are no Missions or Assignments to take part in.

There are a few 'news snippets' about what's going on in the photographic world, exhibitions etc.

The quality is stupendous, printed on heavyweight paper, and is the sort of publication that will build up into a library.

It's not cheap, it is published four times a year and if you subscribe on line it's £37.50., that's a 25% reduction on the shop price. It's the type of magazine that I have been looking for for a very long time, and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone that is interested in pure photography, without all the bells and whistles that the popular magazines that grace the shelves of W.H. Smith have.

Have a look at
http://www.ag-photo.co.uk

Hinfrance

That looks very good Alan. Not really Ag anymore though, more Si - maybe it needs renaming?

I subscribe to le Monde de la Photo. Loads of good advice and tips, interviews and portfolios from successful (not necessarily famous) photographers and proper equipment tests done in a lab with no subjective twaddle from a journalist. In fairness most of the French mags that aren't full of 'fine art' are like this, but LMDLP is a bit more thorough - the article on panorama techniques was 35 pages long, and had 6 interviews and portfolio examples in it. Mind you I'm still rubbish at panoramas . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jan Hagen

The DCM subscription will run its course, but will not be renewed. Find the issues somewhat boring and too much advertisements. The downfall of DCM website, contributes even more to not subscribing any further. I'll soon have to find another magazine to subscribe to and browsed through your thoughts and recommendations.
I've bought both Digital Photo and Digital Photographer on and off the last two years, but must say I favour the first one. I agree with BigBill and I find that they offer good tips and good tutorial videos, for my level of photography at least. I find their website and gallery pages worse, although they have mended some flaws.
Photo Icon seems interesting, as is Outdoor Photography, which I have bought on some occasions (not the Canadian version though, I think...).

I think my pick will be Digital Photo, unless a better idea comes up on this thread.

Best wishes - Jan.

alan1j

I was subscribing to Digital photo. But like all the normal mags found on the local newsagent shelves after you have had them every month for a couple of years they tend to start repeating themselves. Giving the same information and articles, just told in a different way. I to have moved onto books and at the moment reading a great book by Tom Ang. Digital Photography masterclass. I was lucky to receive it as a present and finding it full of many useful guides to achieving all manor of things. Maybe one day I will be able to achieve a few of them.. :2funny:

chris@seary.com

Quote from: ABERS on November 17, 2009, 11:55:15 AM
I have just received the latest edition of Ag, a magazine that stands head and shoulders above any other that I have seen.

Sorry but no interminable pages of advertising and product reviews, just pictures and interesting takes on photography by those that produce images worth looking at, and one or two tips on how the images were achieved. It's not a magazine that promises to make you into a stunning photographer and is written in adult style using proper photographic terms. It may not appeal to those that are 'competition orientated', there are no Missions or Assignments to take part in.

There are a few 'news snippets' about what's going on in the photographic world, exhibitions etc.

The quality is stupendous, printed on heavyweight paper, and is the sort of publication that will build up into a library.

It's not cheap, it is published four times a year and if you subscribe on line it's £37.50., that's a 25% reduction on the shop price. It's the type of magazine that I have been looking for for a very long time, and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone that is interested in pure photography, without all the bells and whistles that the popular magazines that grace the shelves of W.H. Smith have.

Have a look at
http://www.ag-photo.co.uk

I like Ag as well - excellent stuff, and Alan has summed it up nicely. For anyone else who is into this type of quality journal, here are some magazines of similar calibre. I've only been able to find them in Borders, but I'm sure you can subscribe and have them delivered. They're printed publications, but I've included their websites so you find out about them, as they're not found in your average newsagent:
-Daylight Magazine (web site: http://www.daylightmagazine.org/) - documentary, quite political. Devotes each issue to a particulat topic. Previous issues have included subjects such as nuclear power and food production
-Foto8, just has the title '8' on the cover (website: http://www.foto8.com/). Some of the most amazing documentary photography I've ever seen. All about using the camera as a medium of communication. Published twice a year. probably the only product you will buy that doesn't have a bar code, for some unknown reason
-Photoworks (website: http://www.photoworksuk.org/publication/magazine/default.asp), again very pwoerful documentary photography, and also art photography. Also great for interviews with great photographers, and insight into their work.

None of the above mention cameras, technique, shutter speeds, lenses. Just photographs.

I absolutely decided this month that I'm not buying DC mag anymore. I looked through the magazine in the newsagents, and just couldn't find anything worth reading. It was the typical 'Autumn, so take pictures of leaves' thing. Next issue will probably be more of the same, with an in depth 8 page review of the 3 megapixel increase in sensor size that Canon have just released.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.