• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 59
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 56
  • Total: 56
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Help please!

Started by jinky, October 02, 2012, 12:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

Just been editing my shots from an event yesterday. Did them in Lightroom and exported at 300dpi or whatever it is and saved to files.

Needs to do some cloning out of objects so opened the jpegs in CS6 to do so. Some - but  not many see to be misbehaving. I do the cloning , go to save again and find that instead of being 12. 8 ins wide or so at 300 dpi they are showing up as image sizes of 51 ins wide at 72dpi.Got myself ina mess now as I cannot remember how I had the buttons set and currently have scale styles, constrain proportions and resample images ticked. Is bicubic automatic the best to pick if I do resize any? Why would it change 300 dpi images to 72dpi when ll I am doing is opening images exported at 300dpi by Lightroom? Stuck!!! Any help gratefully received  :uglystupid2:
Just checking sizes I opened a raw image in ACR and found that loaded at 240 dpi.  Where do I go to to ensure they all load and save at 300 dpi. I`ve not had CS6 long and have removed my previous version of photosho[p and canot remember what I must have changed to work smoothly! Help!

Oops just realised a common thread. I had converted some to blck and white using NX2 ( my preferred mode of conversion and it is there that they seem to have beenresized. Don`t know how. Never happened before!!!

Any suggestions re any of above would be helpful.

More confused!!!
If I turn off all the buttons for scaling and restrainign proportions and just change the DPI figure from 72 tp 300 dpi it reads as the proper size and I can then save it. Seems every image I open now is showing as 72dpi initially and no idea why. Do I hae to open every one and save at 300 dpi and smaller size? Will take me ages and no idea what is happening to stop it doing that in future.

HELP. Been modifyiung the files and fear I miught be doing wrong. For the same image  NX2 file resolution on image size is reading at 72dpi  and image measuring 55.46 ins x 36.9 ins . CS6 measures at 72ppi  and showing a size of 55.458 x 36.903 ins. I have been changing it in the box to 300 ppi and bringing them down to 13.31 ins x 8.857 sizes and saving at that. Am I worsening the resolution doin g that. I want to have the images showing at 300 ppi and 300 dpi in both programmes as I don`t save at 72dpi but don`t knbow what has happened!

donoreo

Maybe go back to Lightroom, since the originals would be there if you exported to a different location.  Use the "Edit In" feature and open them in CS6 rather than exporting them, this will send them to CS6 and back to LR once you are done. 

Or...go over to Lightroomforums.net and get some more help.  If you are using LR, it should be the centre of everything you do, NX2 conversions, editing in CS, whatever. 

jinky

Thanks for that tip. Still learning lightroom and don`t always use it but will try that edit in feature and see how it goes. I am less panicky now and thinking that the print quality is the same whether it is one larger size at 72dpi and another at 300 in cs6. Just never had this issue of changing numbers before that I have noticed and it has thrown me. I have edited them separately in CS6 / NX2 now so no good for me to go back to lR. I don`t use the saving catalogue there but will be doing so from my next big job when I teach myself a few more things.

In the meantime am I wrong in thinking as  do about the differing sizes. If they get a disc and want to print at photobox or wherever then they will be fine whether it shows at 300 pp at 12x 8 or 72ppi at 54x 36 ins?

Hinfrance

FWIW Paul, most RAW files are 240dpi, and JPG default is 72dpi. Any conversion from these densities involves interpolation, and thus some degradation, of the image - although you'd be hard pressed to notice the loss of quality tbh, especially if you use Lanczos 3 interpolation (not sure that's available in LR, as I never resize anything from there).

If you just change the dimensions of an image in an editor they normally automatically change the pixel density to match, but will give you the option of setting both to whatever you want if that's what floats your boat.

Don't forget that image dpi and print dpi are two different things despite having the same nomclemature.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

Cheers H. Not had this issue hitting me before. Every other time I have looked at images between NX2, Lightroom  and CS2 (now 6) they have always show figure of 300 as I export at that. This time going into CS6 they were showing at 72 at much bigger physical sizes. When I amended the box it showed the more normal sized print I`d expect. Going through it seemed to be every shot I had used control points or black and white conversions in NX2. Been crashing and goign funny generally lately so maybe needs a look at. Anyway images all done and seem to print off Ok on my home printer for the case covers. Had good fun at that 90th using my wedding booth props - had the oldest Viking in Huddersfield at 90!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.