• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 45
  • Total: 45
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

The gentle art of commenting

Started by greypoint, September 08, 2009, 11:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

I comment on many photos and you can usually see something even in a bad shot. You don't need skill or indepth knowledge to say if you like a shot and what you like. I have upset people before with my comments and will do so in the future, what they need to remember it's just my opinion and it's not done in a nasty way. The only ones I don't comment on is those entered into the competition.  ;D

anglefire

Unless someone particularly asks for critique I won't give a negative comment, unless I do know the tog and how they will take any comment I make. But any negative comments I do try and be constructive.

However, I often to write critiques on the DPG forum on the monthly competition and some images I do write negative things about and often are not very constructive but only due to time constraints - writing 30 or 40 crits takes a fair bit of time! Its also why I've stopped writing them every month!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Trickee

i tend to comment on a picture that interests me.
i don't mind any kind of comments on my pictures, another set of eyes can see things quite different from me which often helps.

if you don't want negative,constructive or positive comments then don't post a picture. or say no in the upload options.

i have got to say that oldboy is the cranium king of the commentators. :tup:

Chris P

I tend not to comment too much but I'm always open to criticism from others (so long as they're better than me !!! :2funny:)

Jonathan

I tend to say what I think.  Occasionally this upsets people and I don't comment on their pics again.

As long as somebody says what they genuinely think in an attempt to give feedback ratehr than upset somebody I can't imagine why there would be a problem.

Say what you like about mine - it's unlikely you'll upset me.
It's Guest's round

anglefire

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

skellum

I recently commented on a picture and suggested a way of improving this type of shot in future. The person was not impressed and said "Thats the way I wanted it". The same person is still uploading shots that I want to comment on but I have to bite my lip. I am no expert but sometimes
another person can see something in a shot that is not obvious to the photographer. I thought that a photographic site was all about  commenting & helping each other. Nice comments on bad pictures won't help anyone so in future I will only comment on what I personally like........... :legit:

oRGie

Quote from: Jonathan on September 09, 2009, 07:44:40 PM
I tend to say what I think.  Occasionally this upsets people and I don't comment on their pics again.

As long as somebody says what they genuinely think in an attempt to give feedback ratehr than upset somebody I can't imagine why there would be a problem.

Say what you like about mine - it's unlikely you'll upset me.

That would be there loss :)   You give some very insightful feedback, as does mark and the 3 daves, andy, hugh, irv etc..  I tend to remember comments when I am out taking pics and its allways helpfull  :beer:     

I often answer back though lol, only because sometimes there are reasons why a shot is the way it is, but I think thats good too for others reading..  so bash mine as you guys like, I love it..

:legit:

spinner

I like that people comment on my photos. But I have to admit, sometimes I'm dumbfounded by their observations. Maybe I'm just to slow to see what they do. :-[
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Oldboy

I always try to comment on pictures posted, but it appears that some people take exception to this if I say why I don't like the picture. It's an honest opinion and we all should treat it as that. I even precede the comment with sorry to show it's not malicious, but alas people take it the wrong way.  :(

picsfor

if i'm gonna be offended - then i'm not gonna post em.

Any picture i post is up for grabs - comment wise. I've just got into making negative comments - but i have tried to explain what i am saying. Usually it is my opinion on a photo cos much better photographers than me utilise this site and i look at their comments, pictures and opinions for inspiration.

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank all those that have taken time to comment on my pictures - not very good at it because often i don't follow my own pictures after the first day of posting.
Too many other better ones to view! But at least they have taken time to look and i can ask no ore than that...

alan1572

i'm the same, say what you see, i'm here to learn. :tup:
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

spinner

O.B. comment all you want, sometimes I feel shots are sh*te but can't pinpoint why, an objective comment from outside is always enlightening.  8)
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.