• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 60
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 36
  • Total: 36
  • Google
aliexpress
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

That is pretty much priceless. But as she is trying to put out a contract on her teachers it's lucky she is below the age of criminal responsibility :)

What bemused me today? Same as almost every morning. Between our house and town there is a new speed enforcement camera, which I am sure will be causing an accident sometime soon on its own account as most drivers suddenly halve their speed as they approach it. Anyway, that's not the bemusing bit; about half a kilometre before the new enforcement camera there is an advisory panel that flashes up your speed as you approach. Fine you might say, and I would agree, except that this panel uses radar to measure your speed, just like the enforcement camera. It can often been seen displaying a speed reading when there is nothing anywhere near it, and when approached at a constant speed the readings vary wildly.

A few days ago as I drove towards it at about 80kph it first lit up '95kph' then '71kph' and then as I got nearer it finally got it about right, '81kph'. So maybe the people who almost stop passing the enforcement camera have a got a point . . .

That was in the little Mercedes. With the Corvette it consistently under reads. :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on May 12, 2012, 09:00:34 AM
That is pretty much priceless. But as she is trying to put out a contract on her teachers it's lucky she is below the age of criminal responsibility :)

What bemused me today? Same as almost every morning. Between our house and town there is a new speed enforcement camera, which I am sure will be causing an accident sometime soon on its own account as most drivers suddenly halve their speed as they approach it. Anyway, that's not the bemusing bit; about half a kilometre before the new enforcement camera there is an advisory panel that flashes up your speed as you approach. Fine you might say, and I would agree, except that this panel uses radar to measure your speed, just like the enforcement camera. It can often been seen displaying a speed reading when there is nothing anywhere near it, and when approached at a constant speed the readings vary wildly.

A few days ago as I drove towards it at about 80kph it first lit up '95kph' then '71kph' and then as I got nearer it finally got it about right, '81kph'. So maybe the people who almost stop passing the enforcement camera have a got a point . . .

That was in the little Mercedes. With the Corvette it consistently under reads. :tup:

Try painting your car in anti-radar paint.  :legit:

Oldboy

Spent an hour running round the woods in Earlswood today as I kept hearing a Cuckoo, but every time I moved towards his position the sound came from another area. The first Cuckoo I've ever heard.  :-*

Graham

Quote from: Oldboy on May 12, 2012, 07:41:01 PM
Spent an hour running round the woods in Earlswood today as I kept hearing a Cuckoo, but every time I moved towards his position the sound came from another area. The first Cuckoo I've ever heard.  :-*

Oldboy. they'er very clever those Cuckoos...he was playing with you!  :2funny:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

John Doyle2

Any one with an old 'Leica'. That, they want to give away?
A prototype Leica camera has sold for 2.16m euros (£1.74m), setting a new world record for a camera. Source BBC.

Oldboy

Quote from: Graham on May 13, 2012, 06:57:01 AM
Quote from: Oldboy on May 12, 2012, 07:41:01 PM

Oldboy. they'er very clever those Cuckoos...he was playing with you!  :2funny:

Not that clever as I went back today and got this.  :2funny:

Click for bigger size.

Hinfrance

Well done Oldboy.

WBMT? Francois Hollande and God. God has had two goes at him today; first he soaked the b*gg*r to the skin during his inauguration, and then he hit his aircraft with a lightning strike.

Third time lucky God, third time lucky . . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Don't know if that was on the news here; if not, my husband will be pleased when I tell him!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

Quote from: Oldboy on April 14, 2012, 10:10:58 PM
Just seen this on the Grey's of Westminister website.  :o

6mm f/2.8 Fisheye-Nikkor
EXCEPTIONAL - NEAR NEW AND ULTRA RARE! Nikon stunned the photographic world at Photokina in 1970 by introducing a 220 º fisheye Nikkor with an astonishing speed of f/2.8. It is the world's most extreme wide-angle lens to cover of the 24 x 36mm image area (at the time) with a massive glass dome which dwarfs the camera attached. The 6mm is for scientific and industrial applications and special effects when shooting portraits, architecture and interiors, etc. Lens production began in March 1972 and was only made available to special order. 6mm f/2.8 Fisheye-Nikkor lens serial no. 628024, Lens construction: 12 elements in 9 groups, Picture angle: 220º , Diaphragm: Automatic, Aperture scale: f/2.8-f/22 on both standard and aperture-direct-readout scales, Weight: 5200g, Dimensions: 236mm dia. x 171mm long (overall); 160mm extension from lens flange, Distance scale: graduated in metres and feet from 0.25m (0.9ft) to infinity (?), Filters: built-in skylight (L1BC), medium yellow (Y48), deep yellow (Y52), orange (O56), and red (R60) Front lens cap: Slip-on, delivered in a rugged metal case.

MINT- £100000.00

Just found a picture of this lens with some information. http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/2012/04/nikkor_extreme.html#more  :o

Oldboy

No wonder you can't get hold of a D800.  :doh:

The two Nikon full-frame cameras, the D800 and the D4, occupy the top two places in the full-frame category. Simple and efficient. Still, be careful: as ever, in this review we are discussing only the D800's RAW-image-based sensor results. We will follow up with DxOMark results for compatible lenses for this camera whose small pixel size promises to be very challenging.

Returning to the sensor, the D800's Overall score is the best that has ever been achieved, and its use case scores are equally impressive:   8)

Hinfrance

I can't get hold of one because they want more money than I  have. . . :'(

And I don't actually want one anyway, so there you go :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

ABERS

Quote from: Oldboy on May 16, 2012, 08:42:30 AM
No wonder you can't get hold of a D800.  :doh:

The two Nikon full-frame cameras, the D800 and the D4, occupy the top two places in the full-frame category. Simple and efficient. Still, be careful: as ever, in this review we are discussing only the D800's RAW-image-based sensor results. We will follow up with DxOMark results for compatible lenses for this camera whose small pixel size promises to be very challenging.

Returning to the sensor, the D800's Overall score is the best that has ever been achieved, and its use case scores are equally impressive:   8)

Out of interest are they the sensors that Sony produce for Nikon? I seem to remember reading that Sony supply all Nikon's sensors.

Graham

Quote from: Oldboy on May 15, 2012, 09:37:56 PM
Quote from: Oldboy on April 14, 2012, 10:10:58 PM
Just seen this on the Grey's of Westminister website.  :o

6mm f/2.8 Fisheye-Nikkor
EXCEPTIONAL - NEAR NEW AND ULTRA RARE! Nikon stunned the photographic world at Photokina in 1970 by introducing a 220 º fisheye Nikkor with an astonishing speed of f/2.8. It is the world's most extreme wide-angle lens to cover of the 24 x 36mm image area (at the time) with a massive glass dome which dwarfs the camera attached. The 6mm is for scientific and industrial applications and special effects when shooting portraits, architecture and interiors, etc. Lens production began in March 1972 and was only made available to special order. 6mm f/2.8 Fisheye-Nikkor lens serial no. 628024, Lens construction: 12 elements in 9 groups, Picture angle: 220º , Diaphragm: Automatic, Aperture scale: f/2.8-f/22 on both standard and aperture-direct-readout scales, Weight: 5200g, Dimensions: 236mm dia. x 171mm long (overall); 160mm extension from lens flange, Distance scale: graduated in metres and feet from 0.25m (0.9ft) to infinity (?), Filters: built-in skylight (L1BC), medium yellow (Y48), deep yellow (Y52), orange (O56), and red (R60) Front lens cap: Slip-on, delivered in a rugged metal case.

MINT- £100000.00

Just found a picture of this lens with some information. http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/2012/04/nikkor_extreme.html#more  :o

It's sold for £100,000.00 to an unknown collector.

Oldboy?
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

jinky

I was going to get it but you cannot get filters for it evidently  ;)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.