• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 60
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 40
  • Total: 40
aliexpress
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelb104

Quote from: beauxreflets on July 26, 2011, 10:09:33 AM
Quote from: michaelb104 on July 26, 2011, 10:06:36 AM
Well not actually today but on Sunday.

Woke up Sunday morning and the other half said she'd go down and make a coffee (well tea for me cannot stand coffee), she went to the bedroom door, pushed down the handle, pulled the door, door will not open!!  me- yeah right, stop messing around and open the door, her – no seriously I cannot open the door.  So up I get try the door and NO it will not open............................... :o

So stuck in the bedroom, no tools, no phone, no keys – eeeekkkk anyway after a lot of messing about I manage to retract the (what is that bit called that goes into the strike plate to keep the door closed) thingy enough to get the door open with a pair of nail scissors.

Later after taking the door mechanism to bits I found the bit that operates the thingy (see above) had broken.  We now no longer have the bedroom door closed at night!!

I would change the mechanism, just in case the cat moves the slipper  :2funny:

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Hinfrance

Quote from: beauxreflets on July 26, 2011, 10:05:30 AM
"The growth of the UK economy slowed in the second quarter, with GDP growing by 0.2%, partly as a result of the royal wedding. "

So the upbeat atmosphere and an extra day holiday bonus makes people spend less and creates a downer in the economy?! - Perhaps the economy would have been even slower, given the reliance on oil prices and the effects following the earthquake knocking Japanese trading and of course previous recessionary aspect.

So sad to see the 'blame throwing attitude' still haunts, when the economic down turn is more likely the continuing knock on effect of organisations trading debts for profit (-x+will always=-)  :legit:

It's schoolboy economics 1.02 Andy. The UK has negative interest rates (inflation 4.5%, base rate 0.5%, real interest rate -4%), and that means one thing and one thing only - stagflation. Osborne is a moron. I have no idea what the MPC are thinking; I can only assume that sufficient political pressure has been placed on them that they have abandoned all that they know. Interest rates must always be positive for an economy to prosper, ideally roughly 2x inflation. But matching inflation would be a good place to start.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jonathan

Quote from: krennon on July 26, 2011, 09:16:41 AM
Have a fantastic trip (I really am envious) re  "Daytime dress code is "total cover up".  Really - there are lots of things that you don't want to see enough bare flesh to bite"  When my brother went to Peru lat year he took a tub of marmite with him, he reckoned it helped to keep some of the nasties off him as there is something in marmite they don't like, and he just had about 4 cream crackers (nice and light to carry) with marmite spread on them every morning....might be worth a shot if you eat marmite....

Thanks.  I'm pretty sure I've heard that about Marmite.  Sadly the Telegraph says it isn't true :(  But since I love it I'm prepared to risk it.  Along with DEET and clothes impregnated with Permerthrin, natch.

"The growth of the UK economy slowed in the second quarter, with GDP growing by 0.2%, partly as a result of the royal wedding. "

I don't know much about economics, but I know about the law of unintended consequences.  Yep, the Royal Wedding was supposed to buoy the public mood and make us all spend our way out of recession (this is actually the traditional reason for Royal Weddings).  Unfortunately, with a day's holiday coinciding with a bunch of others lots of people took a week off work and spent their way out of recession in other countries....  We also lost a lot of productivity that week - I bet it destroyed a few small businesses.

For another law of unintended consequences (aka how can the treasury possibly be that stupid).....tuition fees at universities were supposed to relieve the public purse from paying for degrees.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that.  Uni charges student, student borrows money, government underwrites loan.  Since some students will default and the majority will never pay off the full amount you have to make an allowance for this cost plus the UK treasury effectively funds a lot of the interest.  So....unis were allowed to charge up to £9K a year and lots and lots decided that this would be quite a nice idea.  I forget the figures but I believe it's somewhere in the billions that the UK has to borrow to pay for this wheeze.  It might have been cheaper to carry on paying for the places directly.
It's Guest's round

greypoint

Quote from: ABERS on July 25, 2011, 10:36:24 PM
Quote from: greypoint on July 25, 2011, 08:49:52 PM
I like the suggestion that said banned member could be Abers.....and there was me thinking his internet know how was on the same level as mine ...click on and hope for the best  :D

Blimey, fame at last. :dance: Nobody told me. :o

Sue, I'm embarrassed to admit I had to Google 'ISP' since I had no idea what it was, but I'm pleased to know I've got one, and I shall sleep all the better for it.
As Frank Spencer used to say, "Every day in every way........." :tup:

I'm really impressed - you're obviously going for the outright ban now  :knuppel2:

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Jonathan on July 26, 2011, 12:15:36 PM
Quote from: krennon on July 26, 2011, 09:16:41 AM
Have a fantastic trip (I really am envious) re  "Daytime dress code is "total cover up".  Really - there are lots of things that you don't want to see enough bare flesh to bite"  When my brother went to Peru lat year he took a tub of marmite with him, he reckoned it helped to keep some of the nasties off him as there is something in marmite they don't like, and he just had about 4 cream crackers (nice and light to carry) with marmite spread on them every morning....might be worth a shot if you eat marmite....

Thanks.  I'm pretty sure I've heard that about Marmite.  Sadly the Telegraph says it isn't true :(  But since I love it I'm prepared to risk it.  Along with DEET and clothes impregnated with Permerthrin, natch.

I don't know much about economics, but I know about the law of unintended consequences.  Yep, the Royal Wedding was supposed to buoy the public mood and make us all spend our way out of recession (this is actually the traditional reason for Royal Weddings).  Unfortunately, with a day's holiday coinciding with a bunch of others lots of people took a week off work and spent their way out of recession in other countries....  We also lost a lot of productivity that week - I bet it destroyed a few small businesses.

For another law of unintended consequences (aka how can the treasury possibly be that stupid).....tuition fees at universities were supposed to relieve the public purse from paying for degrees.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that.  Uni charges student, student borrows money, government underwrites loan.  Since some students will default and the majority will never pay off the full amount you have to make an allowance for this cost plus the UK treasury effectively funds a lot of the interest.  So....unis were allowed to charge up to £9K a year and lots and lots decided that this would be quite a nice idea.  I forget the figures but I believe it's somewhere in the billions that the UK has to borrow to pay for this wheeze.  It might have been cheaper to carry on paying for the places directly.

I can understand glitches in productivity on such events having run staffed small businesses, and those that close on that back are likely to have eventually closed unless time had offered a turn in fortune. The event was publicised in advance which will have helped many businesses plan ahead; Wimbledon week can often effect productivity too, and I guess it is hard to foretell how any match, game will end.

I'm no economist either, but I understand repayment, profit and loss; as too, like a pension crisis the ability to pass headaches on to the next generations.

Hope you have a good trip. A drop of Whisky in your water may well work as well as Marmite  ;)
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

Quote from: admin on July 26, 2011, 08:58:49 AM
Quote from: Reinardina on July 26, 2011, 08:35:00 AM
It's Reinardina's round

Haven't quite got used to your sense of humour. I'm a quick learner though, I'll catch up soon enough.

This thread might help you.  http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=1868.0

Jonathan has made use of a bit of code that's all.  [size=10pt]It's [you]'s round[/size]  The you tag just echos out the name of who ever reads the post, so when I look at it, it says, "It's Admin's round"

Thanks Admin for the explanation. Glad I know now. Thought it was a bit early in the morning to start buying rounds.

Can you do anything about the spell checker? Add Reinardina to the 'recognised words/names'? It seems to think I should be called Bernardina.

And erm ... I haven't worked out your name yet. Care to share?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Graham

Hi Bernie...( :2funny:)....His names Mick and he's a very nice man.
                 Graham. :dance:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

Quote from: Graham on July 26, 2011, 05:30:03 PM
  Hi Bernie...( :2funny:)....His names Mick and he's a very nice man.
                 Graham. :dance:

Not when he's working on lawnmowers!  :o  :P

Mick

Quote from: Reinardina on July 26, 2011, 04:34:31 PM

Can you do anything about the spell checker? Add Reinardina to the 'recognised words/names'? It seems to think I should be called Bernardina.

Done.  :tup:  ( I hope).
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Reinardina

Thanks Graham, Oldboy and Admin Mick.

Actually, Bernie does not sound too bad, does it? But I can't change now of course, after having Reinardina entered in the 'approved list.'

Can someone explain how to get a multiple quote in a message? That's another thing I haven't worked out yet.

I went out 'shooting' this morning, to catch some 'Summertime' photos for the competition. The rain had stopped in time, but I've tried to avoid including the sky. Just in case. Came home with loads of pictures (trying out burst mode) and there should be at least two or three suitable ones. Tourist season is definitely underway!

Just did a spell check and my name was not flash up! Thanks Mick, it works!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Mick

Quote from: Reinardina on July 26, 2011, 10:48:15 PM

Can someone explain how to get a multiple quote in a message? That's another thing I haven't worked out yet.

OK, to multi quote, all you need to do is, either hit the quote button for the first post you want to quote, then if you scroll down below the message box, you'll see the other posts below it.  Next to each one is a "Insert quote" button.  Put your cursor where you want the next quote to appear, and use one of those "Insert quote" buttons.  Repeat as required.  ;)

You can always test this in a new reply, and click the preview button to see if it works.  If you want to keep the post hit post, if you were just testing, then hit the back button on your browser, or another link on the site to back out of it.

Hope this helps
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Oldboy

Quote from: admin on July 26, 2011, 11:09:12 PM

OK, to multi quote, all you need to do is, either hit the quote button for the first post you want to quote, then if you scroll down below the message box, you'll see the other posts below it.  Next to each one is a "Insert quote" button.  Put your cursor where you want the next quote to appear, and use one of those "Insert quote" buttons.  Repeat as required.  ;)

You can always test this in a new reply, and click the preview button to see if it works.  If you want to keep the post hit post, if you were just testing, then hit the back button on your browser, or another link on the site to back out of it.

Hope this helps

Now, I didn't know that!  :uglystupid2:

I always used wordpad or notepad for more than one quote!  ;D

Beryl

I can't cope with one quote let alone multi

I can't read period ::)
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

ABERS

Do you find what is said here is typical?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/london_2012/14297897.stm

My grandchildren are all sports mad, all playing for teams at various levels in football, and hardly ever off the local public golf courses in the summer. However I can't recall any of them, or their mates, discussing the Olympics to any great extent. The eldest however did apply for tickets and has been lucky enough to get two for the day of the 200m men's final, the mens 800m final and the triple jump final. He's beginning to realise that perhaps it was a wise investment :)

greypoint

I'm sure that sport, and the interest levels in it in this country, revolves around things like football, rugby, golf, cricket etc. for the majority of people  - and that includes youngsters. If a child is good at running or swimming then they might well become an enthusiastic participant but I can't see too many simply deciding that watching the triple jump is as exciting as seeing how their favourite football team performs. Still, must'nt knock it, it has given Seb Coe a chance to earn a lot of money and provided jobs for lots of eastern european workers  :dance: :dance:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.