• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 141
  • Total: 141
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

How far would you go?

Started by Beaux Reflets, September 16, 2012, 10:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaux Reflets

With the photograph row well and truly brewing over the privacy of William and Kate; how far would you go?

Interestingly the privacy laws in France may well be in for a testing, although until more details are revealed upon the photographer and magazine relationship, it is hard to guess what the outcome will be.

In my opinion everyone deserves privacy and respect regardless of who they are; and it will be very interesting to see how the new Laws (UK) upon Stalking are perhaps going to be useful, in determining where the lines of expectation upon acting within the Law are to be drawn.

From the reports on the BBC I think it is fair to surmise that the photographer working 'from off the street' did not ask the Royal couple to sign a model release form, and they might have been simply out 'bird watching' and got a lucky shot as they panned a tweeter on the wing; but my guess is that the outcome of all this, is to likely put the onus upon the photographer, and no doubt France will be asked to sign up to the International Laws upon Stalking that no doubt may follow.

So as a amateur or professional tog; Where do you draw the line?
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

ABERS

Complete and utter storm in a teacup.

What is interesting is the fact that there is a market out there for saddo's that want to ogle the thruppennybits of someone in the public eye. Is the girl blessed with a chest of remarkable dimensions? Or is it just to satisfy the prurient curiosity that wonders if behind all the pomp and ceremony the "Royals" are just ordinary people with the same appendages as every other person.

As far as 'the line' goes I wouldn't be taking pictures of people in their garden over a fence in the firstplace, so I can't make a judgement there, but if people want to do that that's their business. Some people make a living in curious and sometimes distasteful ways, ask any banker or politician!

Graham

I don't think anything will change untill The Papers learn the difference between "In the public interest" and "Of interest to the public".
                Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Hinfrance

I don't think these particular images (I haven't seen them) meet either criterion in my case.  :uglystupid2:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Who really wants to see the images?

Beyond the apparent peeping tom aspect and said media greed, there must still be a real security problem to afford such opportune timing; after all the time since Princess Diana's death, in some ways I am surprised by such an occurrence and then perhaps not.

SimonW

Apart from all the privacy issues, maybe there is a fairly serious security issue. That camera could have been a gun with a telescopic sight. If its position can be discovered from the photo then someone with more wicked intentions that the photographer might make use of it.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Karen

To be honest who (and especially her in her position and who must have a camera trained on her constantly) lies about a roof top terrace with their boobs out anyway.

Graham

On the other hand....If I'm paying for them, I should be entitled to see them!  :tup: :2funny:

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

anglefire

It is a storm in a tea cup, but on the other hand, they have a reasonable expectation of privacy in a private villa, wherever the hell it is.

And the excuse of them being beautiful images doesn't wash.

I would like to know what they would say if the're wife/girlfriends/daughters thrupennies were spread all over the newspapers.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

Quote from: Karen on September 17, 2012, 02:06:08 PM
To be honest who (and especially her in her position and who must have a camera trained on her constantly) lies about a roof top terrace with their boobs out anyway.

Why shouldn't she be able to? Loads of women had them out on beaches in the South of France when I was down there on Holiday this year, non of them, as far as I could tell, ad their pictures spread over the papers.
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Graham

Personaly I think she should just laugh it off, with a "What is it with you people" shrug. ::)

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

anglefire

Whilst I also think she should do that, I also think there is another point - and that is to test the legal system of France for everyone. If there is a law, then it should be seen to be effective, and not toothless.

Having said that, only the rich can afford the law.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Beaux Reflets

I am pretty sure the French legal system works as there is reportage that suggests the media do their maths, weighing the fines against the potential sales figures, because it is the financial benefits that steers the thinking over and above any moral reasoning; and in this regard, the media drive up celebrity value by increased coverage making profit upon the back of those they portray.

As for, "only the rich can afford the Law"; if its criminal Law then the money aspect should not matter! And there are additional insurance policies folk can take up to cover legal fees towards prosecuting or defence costs for areas not covered by their general liability insurance policies.

I think that in a world where so much more is now public, it is more about setting the line upon privacy so that folk are not hounded!

It could be argued that a photograph of a vehicle, in which more than 50% of it shows the interior and occupants of that vehicle could be deemed as an invasion of the occupants privacy and accordingly require a signed Model Release Form.

Karen

Quote from: anglefire on September 18, 2012, 12:00:57 AM
Quote from: Karen on September 17, 2012, 02:06:08 PM

Why shouldn't she be able to? Loads of women had them out on beaches in the South of France when I was down there on Holiday this year, non of them, as far as I could tell, ad their pictures spread over the papers.

Probably because they are not one of the most famous women in the world!! ???

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.