• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 49
  • Total: 49
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Kite Aerial Photography

Started by rksmith51, July 24, 2011, 04:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rksmith51

Thanks guys, yes its very adictive the first thing I check in the morning is the wind direction. One of great things about this is the possibility that you are the first to take a shot from there and capture the view, its most likley there will be nother shot like mine again.

Because it was a rush with the dog and Katherine along I was not able to focus as much on getting the angles I wanted, a few are good and that's true of most shoots of any kind.

I doubt if the D300 or D3s will ever be flown, but never say never  :legit:
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

hevans

Looks like great fun!

Next step: a blue tooth/WiFi enabled camera to send the shots straight down to the ground. I'm guessing that the pointing of the camera and pitch is achieved by guessing what is in the field of view or do you have immediate feedback?

H.

Jonathan

It's Guest's round

Graham

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

rksmith51

One from my latest outing  ;)

Oldboy

Cracking shot and love the colours.  :tup:

Hinfrance

Brilliant Bob.

Alas, although I am (or at least was) an avid kite flyer the problem around here is that there is nowhere really suitable to get them airbourne. So my kites sit sadly in the basement waiting for a windy day without turbulence. And there never is one - too many trees, valleys and hills. I think I've only managed to get a dual line kite airborne once since we moved here.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

irv_b

Yes Bob it is so good to see things from such a different view. I hope you are enjoying doing it as much as we are seeing the results!
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

rksmith51

I'm enjoying it very much Irv, I like flying the kite as much as taking the pictures. Its a shame your air is so bad H, I notice a vast difference when I fly at the coast the air is so much better.  At my home field " the local park " its surrunded by trees and it takes a little time to get the kite through the rough air, once its clear it pulls very strongly and its much safer to put the camera rig on. I have plans for a few more locations  but the family require my time now so I just have to be patient and get out when I can. Thanks for all the positive feedback.

rksmith51

Update, I now have a super little camera called a GoPro Hero HD, it has some handy features like built in variable time laps, movie etc etc. I set it up to take an image every 5 secs and so I can forget about the shutter and just fly the kite and change the orientation of the camera rig for different views.

Has anyone heard of Eye-Fi , well I got one of these with the intention of the card sending the images directly to my iPhone, I set it all up and it worked great in the house, but the range is very short and once the camera is in the air its out of range of the phone, the theory was sound but the hardware is not up to the job yet. I'm hoping they may upgrade the firmware on the card and boost the range, I've sent a request to the maker and see on their sight its a popular request.

Bob

Hinfrance

Looking forward to seeing the results Bob.

Glad to see that you are virtually single handedly trying to keep the world economy going  :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

rksmith51

Well, I don't smoke, don't drink, don't have holidays abroad, so I have to get rewarded some way for my endeavours  ;D

Hinfrance

That's just slacking Bob - you need to spend more :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

irv_b

Quote from: Hinfrance on September 11, 2011, 01:04:09 PM
Looking forward to seeing the results Bob.

Glad to see that you are virtually single handedly trying to keep the world economy going  :tup:

Not only that you becoming a real tech head Bob  ;D
I'm  really enjoying the project, so hopefully now you only got the kite to worry about flying, the shots will be even better!
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.