• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 84
  • Total: 84
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Speakers' Corner

Started by ABERS, December 20, 2012, 03:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

I think you may have gathered that I used to frequent 'The Corner' on a regular basis.

There is a move to archive all activity from as far back as possible, sound and pictures and I've been asked to contribute in some small way. More of that when it comes towards fruition.

I've been sent a link that you may find interesting concerning activity back in the '60's and '70's. I recognise two of the speakers and have pictures of them in action.

Have a look at

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist/ITN/1967/01/11/X11016702/?v=0&a=1

Cheers.

nickt

Well done Abers, that's great. I try to get down there about once a month.
Nick

ABERS

Thanks Nick.

We must meet up sometime  (when the weather gets warmer).

Oldboy

Quote from: ABERS on December 20, 2012, 06:22:51 PM

You mean when it stops raining!  :uglystupid2: :doh:

nickt

Quote from: ABERS on December 20, 2012, 06:22:51 PM
Thanks Nick.

yes, I'd enjoy that.
Nick

krennon

Give me enough notice and I could be up for joining you if you don't mind  ???
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

ABERS

Great to see you're back Keith. Let it warm up a bit before a 'Speakers' shin dig :tup:

Beryl

A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

ABERS

Attended a meeting at The Bishopsgate Institute in the City today and met a group of dedicated Speakers Corner adherents. It was amazing the amount of history and recall of speakers names and subjects they held forth on back as far as the '50's.

One chap bought along an autobiography of his grandfather who spoke there in the twenties when the subjects were more political and allied to the conditions of the populace in general, citing poverty, health, housing and the moral fibre of politicians. (What's new?).

Four current speakers attended, all of advanced years, and it quickly became obvious that they took their participation extremely seriously and worked hard on their particular subjects and were very proud of their ability not only to speak authoritatively but handle hecklers. All four had been 'banged up' for their beliefs when demonstrating. CND and anti-apartheid came up regularly. One proudly admitted to sharing a cell with Bertrand Russell for a while!

A wonderful day and I shall now look on the speakers as much more than photographic fodder but as people with a firmly held point of view and a capacity to express it forcefully and professionally using humour and wit!

Sandy

I would be interested in going to speakers corner again when it does warm up.

Sandy

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.