• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 148
  • Total: 148
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Canon EF300 F2.8L IS

Started by anglefire, September 05, 2009, 08:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

Unfortunately not a lens that I own, but one I hired for about 4 days earlier in the Summer.

First thing to say is that it is heavy. Very!

If you are not used to big long lenses, then you might struggle with this lens, particularly hand holding, when you first use it.

I've the 400mm f5.6L, which is not as heavy, but has no IS, so am used to holding long lenses steady!

Ok, The lens, well much is written about this lens, but all I will say is that it is everything that is said about it. The IQ is absolutely superb. The focus speed is so quick - quicker than my 400mm, which does say something!

The IS is very effective, I hand held it down to 1/30" and got sharp images. DOF wide open is very thin, but also sharp. Stopping down only increases the sharpness slightly, so stopping down is only needed to control DOF.

The bokeh (blur) is silky smooth, rendering messy backgrounds smooth.

Obvious uses are wildlife and sports, though is short for birding.

The IS has two modes, stationary and panning. Panning doesn't have to be either vertical or horizontal - the IS system can cope with diagonals as well. (Not many people are aware of this - its true of any lens with IS Mode switches)

Examples of wildlife:

And some motorsport.

Now, if I'm honest, the f2.8 version of the 300mm lens is generally over the top for motorsport, if you are panning in half decent light, as you stop down to get a slower shutter speed. But for Rallying, then the 2.8 can be useful when in the forests. But even then, I suspect the f/4 version will do 90% of what is needed, especially with modern cameras high ISO abilities.

Where the f/2.8 version does excel, is to be able to take both the 1.4 and 2x extenders very well. The 2x turning the 300 into a 600 f/5.6. and keep the IQ very high - it does loose something, but not as much as other lenses. Stacking the 1.4 and 2x means its a 840mm f/8- which will still AF with a 1series body.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

birel101

Stunning wildlife images,nice review ;)

Alfonso_Frisk

Absolutely stunning shots. I especially favour the wildlife set. Nice and sharp.
Well done fella
RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Eileen

Very nice shots. Like Alf, the wildlife images do it for me.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.