• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 24
  • Total: 24
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Upgrade Time

Started by stevebedder, April 19, 2009, 07:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevebedder

The time to upgrade from my trusty 10D has arrived - and the Mrs has approved too!  :tup:

I was originally thinking of going for a 50D so started looking into it, reading reviews, speaking to people etc and I'm now pretty sure that I'm going to get a 40D rather than a 50D.

The 50D doersn't seem to give much more and the extra megapixles don't seem to be an advantage, and from some from the reviews I've read they suggest that they actually serve as a disadvantage!

Looking at the prices I can also get a better deal on a 40D and get more for my money, although I can't seem to find the deal I'm looking for!

As I've got a Tamron 17-35mm and a Canon 75-300mm I'd really like to get a 40D with a 18-200mm or (similar) but most of the deals that are out at the moment for the 40D include a 17-85mm.

So rather than going for the bundle, now thinking of getting a body and getting maybe the Sigma 28-300mm - has anyone got one? Do you know what they are like?

What do you think?

Cheers

Steve

oRGie

hmm, decisions decisions.. I have a 40D and I do love it, but if I was buying a camera now I would get the 50D.  I also have the 18-200is and I love that too, so if you can get the 50D and 18-200 for the right price for your budget think about it. I cant remember where but I have seen good reviews of the 50D but I have and I've also seen quite a few good shots on the net with it, imho the reviews are particularly critical and I'm not convinced that in the real world there is any problem with it or that its actually inferior to a 40D.....  happy days though, shopping for a new camera, lucky chap  :beer:

jimthetrain

Hi Steve, I have the 40D and it is a nice camera. As for the sigma 28-300, that was my first lens when I had a 400D and if you want it I will even give you £40 to take it off my hands  :2funny: It is a very soft lens and to get the best out of it you need very bright light,industrial tripod and no wind. It's a starter lens really and you're not exactly a starter now are you? :tup:

Jim
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

Mick

Quote from: stevebedder on April 19, 2009, 07:47:30 PM

So rather than going for the bundle, now thinking of getting a body and getting maybe the Sigma 28-300mm - has anyone got one? Do you know what they are like?

What do you think?

I've got a Sigma 28-300 DG lens somewhere, I don't like it though.  Like Jim said, it's pretty soft and you need plenty of light to make it usable.   These images were taken with it, and they are the best ones I managed to get from it handheld. http://cameracraniums.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=16

Good luck with the body though, I wouldn't know which one to choose either.  Sticking with my 30D for now.  :tup: 

Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

oRGie

just to add, I sold my tamron 28-300 to put towards the canon ef-s18-200is, the tamron just wasnt good enough iq for me apart from in totally ideal situations, sounds like the the same as the sigma from whats been said.

Hinfrance

Most of the pictures I take are with my Tamron 28-300. The only limitation I find with it is that it is soft around the edges wide open. It's not a very fast lens, but it's not very expensive (relatively) either. Luckily I don't have a Cankon, so benefit from Pentax's up to 4 stop onboard image stabilisation. And that does it for me. Obviously I would prefer to replace it with Pentax branded lenses, but at 800 for the 60-250 and almost a grand for the 300 I don't think that is likely to happen any time soon.  :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

stevebedder

Thanks for all your comments\suggestions - I really am torn on what to do. Get a 40D and save a few quid to maybe get a better lens(es) and maybe a new speedlite - or get a 50D with the Canon 18-200 and have the latest model which should future proof me for a while!!!

I even thought of switching to Nikon for a minute or two - but I soon shook that one off  :P ;)

I was swaying towards a 40D yesterday but today I think I'm swaying towards the 50D. Theres a guy based up here in the north west on Flickr that has a 50D that gets some awesome shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88411058@N00/

Cheers

Steve

Colin

I currently use a 20D and yesterday a friend lent me his 40D (I have it for a week) I can't believe how much quieter the shutter is and the size of the screen is fantastic (I don't need my glasses to see it). I also recently had a play with a 50D in a shop. If I upgrade I will save the money and go for the 40D as I wasn't impressed with the low light focusing of the 50D in comparison with what I have found so far with the 40D, who needs 15 megapixels anyway? ;) IMHO you would be better off putting the money into lenses rather than the body. That's my two penneth FWIW.

Hinfrance

For what it's worth my neighbour the wildlife photographer has now had his 50D for a few months. The things he likes are the extra cropping power that 15mpx gives him over his other bodies, but confirming the last post, he is not happy with the autofocus.

Shooting wildlife involves quite a lot of low light situations and he says that the autofocus tends to hunt to a degree he finds unacceptable. He says that with moving objects (most wildlife doesn't tend to stay still for long) it is at its worst.

I wonder if their will be a firmware update for this?

Otherwise he is very happy with it as a day to day camera; he has chosen it over the others to take it with him to Rome for a holiday.

I have not used the camera, so this is just hearsay. :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

stevebedder

OK, I think I have finally come to a decision......

The winner is.......

50D with the Canon IS 18-200mm

I've spoken to quite a few people to get advice, including your good selves (thanks :tup:) and it's a pretty even split between more for my money with the 40D or new model with good lens. The more I looked into the 40D option, the more I realised that the cost for the body plus a decent lens wasn't going to be that far off the 50D bundle anyway.

Thanks for you helps all.

Steve

stevebedder

Just got round to ordering the 50D with 18-200mm IS lens from Warehouse Express  ;D.

Should be delivered on Tuesday - only problem is that I will be in Munich until late Wednesday night.  :(

I can see Thursday being a play day.

Cheers

Steve

stevebedder

I'm in Munich at the moment and back late tomorrow night.

Just had a message from my wife to tell me the new camera and lens has arrived  :'(

38 hours and counting........

Steve

Mick

Congrats on your new purchase Steve, shame you have to wait to get your hands on it.  But at least you have something to look forward to.  ;)

Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

oRGie

Dont forget to say hello to swmbo when you get in, maybe a nice prezzie for her will buy you some time for the new toy without risking divorce :)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.