• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 86
  • Total: 86
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Photo Feedback - Constructive Critique

Started by Beaux Reflets, April 16, 2013, 04:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andydo

Hiya jinky it's actually a road bridge so the train is a bit out of question also the vignetting was done on my phone as my laptop died so waiting arrival of a new 1 this week ?I use the Canon 550 the original photo as in colour but I just tried to give it more atmosphere all critique taken on board and my next visit I'll try a slight different angle hopefully with a bit of snow aswell if I can get while it's about
I WILL LOVE IT IF WE BEAT THEM, LOVE IT - KING KEV

andydo

jinky

Yeah sad days for us Toon fans - as ever!

And therein lies the danger of offering critique on others shots - me not knowing the layout or what I`m talking about  :).
Still think you should have got a train across it though - steam preferable  ;).
I like the mood anyway - lighter than our mood as Toon fans  :D

StephenBatey

Quote from: jinky on November 25, 2015, 09:53:41 AM

I`m not bothered about triangles and the like and just how an image hits me and trying to guess what the photographer is aiming to portray. Without access to the exif details  and the original I`m left wondering what camera was used  / how it was edited.

I'm not bothered about triangles per se either - they were just a compositional device that in this instance would/could have unified and strengthened the composition, even if the viewer couldn't see exactly how the effect was achieved. Art concealing art, in fact.

To me, the technicalities are relatively worthless. If I wanted technical excellence and complete mastery, I'd only photograph test charts. With real world photographs, what I look for are images that make me think, that make me pause for thought, that make me admire the craft and vision of the photographer. So I simply don't bother about technical points, and knowing what's in the EXIF data won't make a blind bit of difference to how the image actually looks. I honestly don't think you need to know it to be able to see the depth of field, camera shake, exposure errors or noise or grain.

Andy - is there any point in my writing up my notes? You seem to have moved on and I don't want to waste my time if all you want are technical points, because I don't do them (except in passing to indicate how a technical change could have achieved an improved/stronger artistic effect.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

andydo

Quote from: andydo on November 25, 2015, 02:05:41 PM
all critique taken on board
stephen if there was no point i wouldnt have posted the photo here

StephenBatey

OK, I'll write and post - but it might be a long post. The reason I wanted to know why you took the photo will need a lengthy explanation in itself. In the meantime, you might like to read this

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/tutorials/understanding-photographs.112/

It's a chapter from a book I'm writing, and is about understanding photographs. It concludes with a critique of a couple of photographs. Actually, two different critiques, one good, one bad, where the only difference was the starting assumtion as to intent. For present purposes, it's perhaps not quite relevant as the starting points were basically the same in that they ignore most of the different possible reasons for/types of photography, and this should be considered first.

I did read your earlier response as though you'd more or less considered the topic closed; and I have had experience (on another forum) that if you comment on a photo more than a couple of days after it's been posted your comments won't be read because the poster has moved on...
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

SimonW

Re your "Starting point as to intent". My local camera club recently ran a competition for prints showing a Scottish Landscape. I entered one showing hills and a loch with a castle fairly small in the foreground. I titled it the name of the castle, as it wasn't a well-known one. The judge gave it very low marks. He said that a photo of a castle should have made it more prominent. I'm sure if the title had been "Lochside" or similar it would have scored much better...

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

andydo

I took the photo as I liked the look of the view and wanted to show others

anglefire

Thought I would throw a couple of pictures in here - taken last Saturday at Mira in Nuneaton.

This is actually the winning car

and finally this one.

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jediboy

Hi Mark,

I particularly like the top photo of the three.I like the composition and that includes the track snaking away into the distance. The spray behind the car adds a sense of speed and drama. Good colours too.

The other two photos don't work quite as well for me. Nothing wrong with them per se, just not as good as the first for me. I find the wonky sign in the BWM photo a bit of a distraction but I understand that you may not have had the luxury at the time of managing this.

Just my thoughts and I'm certainly no expert. And I'd be pleased if I had taken them, especially the first one.
Good work.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

anglefire

I did clone out the sign (Its an arrow telling the driver where the track goes next!) and it does look a lot better - unfortunately I was limited to the position I could move to - and it wasn't possible to get the two shots (The high speed pan down the straight could have been taken from pretty much anywhere that I could access) - and I'm not sure that the tail happy BM could have been taken from a better position.

Not excuses just how it is with motorsport photography - up to about 2/3 years ago I would have been on the grass probably, using a much shorter focal length and not the long end of my 100-400mm.

To be fair, the first one is my favourite from the day - and yes the rain does make it - I have been to Spa 3 times (Not the F1) and the first one it rained and I got much better looking shots than the subsequent years when it was dry.

Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

jinky

Nice set - especially that first one  ;)

anglefire

Thought I would see what people thought of this one. Has some photoshop tweeks - which won't suit many images, but thought this one worked.

Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

jinky

I like it angelfire. It is dramatic and great colour. Couple of things for me:

• Crop is too tight for me - a bit more space around the model would be good for me
  • The skin tones are a bit ott

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.