• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 145
  • Total: 145
  • Bingbot
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

DSLR Advice

Started by eysha, May 15, 2012, 02:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eysha

I would love a DSLR camera but my problem, or one of them,  is which one? I was thinking of a Canon or Nikon but there appears to be loads of considerations to be taken into account and i am a bit lost - well a lot lost really.
I wouldn't be going into buying a load of lenses, a macro and long lenses is enough.
Why do i want it, for wildlife.
How much do i wanna spend, middle of the road i guess.
Is their any good bargains out there?
Since i understand they all do different things, or have different things Incorporated into them which one would be a good all rounder?
It would have to last forever probably. It needs to be light and easy to use too.
What is your suggestion to a newbie?
Thanks folks
E.
Please visit my site at
www.ThekavanaghCollection.co.uk

michaelb104

Hi Eysha,

What about Pentax or Sony?

If you are looking for a system where you can change the lenses but if you want something light, have thought about something like the Sony NEX system but if you want a DSLR then there is the Sony A57 or A65 which are getting good reviews.

The best way is to go to a shop and get hold of the cameras and see what you feel happy with.
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

jinky

Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony all do great cameras - the key thing to check out other than affordability is how doe they feel in your hand for size / weight and access to controls. Don`t tell anyone but back in film days I was a dedicated canon user (after having an Olympus OM10 for years) but when I went back to DSLRs after a few years break it was the Nikon D80 that suited my hands and chubby fingers best and been Nikon ever since. Once you commit ad startbuying decent lenses the main investment is made and it is hard to switch so see which feels best from the stat by using Jessops etc to try them in your hand. get them to power it up, take in a card if you can and see the results on your own screen - then buy check reviews and buy somewhere else.

Reinardina

Is your Panasonic FZ38 not a bridge camera?
Have you explored all the possibilities that camera has to offer?
There are people on this site, who get on famously with a bridge, and shoot brilliant pictures.

If it's not a bridge, the same applies: have you got to know all the possibilities and really tried out the camera to its limits? So when you pick up a new camera you know at least some of the things you want/need?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

DSLRs are nice - I rather like mine (Pentax K5, as you ask ;)), but I often use my compact (little Panasonic) or bridge camera Fuji HS20EXR) instead. They all have their pluses and minuses. On our recent trip across the pond I took 80% of my pictures with the bridge. Bridge cameras are really very versatile. They lack the quality of a DSLR, (especially in poor light) and separate often very expensive lenses, but they are truly jacks of all trade, and often masters of the macro world. I'll post an example here after tea . .

Here you are, nice pink flower thing:

As to which DSLR to buy, jinky is right - it's the one you like. For nature I'd probably go Nikon, but be prepared to shell out a few bob for the right long lens.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

eysha

Thanks for all the advice. I will follow it next time i am in town and time to spend in the camera shops playing.

I have the Panasonic bridge camera a Fuji finepix s8000 as wall as a little Sony pocket camera but i would like a DSLR which would be faster all round - wouldn't it?
Please visit my site at

Reinardina

Quote from: eysha on May 15, 2012, 06:51:02 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I will follow it next time i am in town and time to spend in the camera shops playing.

I have the Panasonic bridge camera a Fuji finepix s8000 as wall as a little Sony pocket camera but i would like a DSLR which would be faster all round - wouldn't it?

Not if you want to shoot something, and discover you've got the wrong lens on.

They're definitely a lot faster in eating a large hole in your pocket.

Hinfrance

Quote from: eysha on May 15, 2012, 06:51:02 PM

Sounds to me like you have enough to be going on with. Master these tools first and you'll have a better idea about how you want to move forward.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

eysha

I agee R  and Hinfrance but i still want one, lol.
Please visit my site at

Reinardina

Quote from: eysha on May 15, 2012, 08:30:01 PM
I agee R  and Hinfrance but i still want one, lol.

Eysha, you were asking about DSLRs on PhotoRadar a couple of years ago.
So just go out and buy one. They all have pros and cons, and you may as well learn about these things, while actually handling one.

eysha

Was it that long ago? wow. I would go buy one but i am in a dilemma, which is what to buy as i will never be able to afford another one so i msut make theright choice. It will ave to last forever, lol.
Please visit my site at

donoreo

It was quite a long time ago you were asking.  You have had some good recommendations.  It really does make a difference to hold them.  If it is not comfortable to hold then you will not like it.

I held a Canon 5D mkIII and it felt good.   Very good.  So good.    I resisted the urge or else I would not be celebrating my wedding anniversary today :)

Oldboy

Quote from: donoreo on May 15, 2012, 11:47:04 PM

I held a Canon 5D mkIII and it felt good.   Very good.  So good.    I resisted the urge or else I would not be celebrating my wedding anniversary today :)

Yes, but you would have something that you could cuddle anytime and great pictures to boot!  ;D :legit:

Hinfrance

Happy anniversary  8)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

donoreo

Quote from: Oldboy on May 16, 2012, 08:25:47 AM
Quote from: donoreo on May 15, 2012, 11:47:04 PM

Yes, but you would have something that you could cuddle anytime and great pictures to boot!  ;D :legit:
I know.  I will probably never get a FF, I may get whatever the 7D replacement is.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.