• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 26
  • Total: 26
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Oh my conscience

Started by irv_b, November 15, 2010, 07:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irv_b

A photography group I am with are proposing to do a Homeless shoot - now it is not what you would think in that we are to go around talking to, then snapping the homeless but to have models come dressed up as homeless people and put themselves in poses to depict that out in the street and somehow that bothers me more but I don't know why! Now I don't think that I will go but I just wondered what you guys think of that as a theme for a shoot?
Irv
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

skellum

I understand your thoughts maybe if the shoot with the models was in a closed/private location then it would not offend any homeless people.... :legit:

jinky

Yes I`d have as many issues with that as shooting a real homeless person if I was mocking it up on the street. In old DCM days I did a shot of myself behind the garden shed as a tramp to save me doing it on the street as it made me fell uncomfortable. I suppose it is hard faking it inside but that`s the only way I could do it.

skellum

Quote from: Dave on November 15, 2010, 08:27:19 PM
I understand your thoughts maybe if the shoot with the models was in a closed/private location then it would not offend any homeless people.... :legit:

But then it sounds like an excellent opportunity for this weeks comp  " Street Photography "

picsfor

interesting point Irv - but not all "homeless" people are homeless through bad life choices or unlucky breaks.
And sadly, homeless are not always willing to be subjects - they do still have pride.

Essentially you would be engaging in a fashion shoot - but the theme is the homeless.
You've been out with Jonathan - imagine if his assignment was not of models in wedding garb, but models dressed up in homeless look for a new line of clothing.
Remember when ripped and stone washed jeans were all the rage?
Do you really think the pro togs refused to go out and do the shoots because it might offend the homeless when doing the fashion shoots for those lines of clothing?

What you've demonstrated Irv is what those of us who met you already know - you are a thoroughly nice and decent chap who gives a damn.
Go out and do the shoot - it'll be great experience - and if you meet some real homeless and they look concerned - fund them for a cuppa.
Doesn't cost a fortune and if they're still decent people they'll be appreciative.

Is that shoot with a strobist group by any chance? And yes, agree with Dave - excellent opportunity for this weeks comp!

spinner

I'm like you Irv, the idea would make me very uncomfortable, if I were a homeless person and knew your group was doing this I'd be thinking you were taking the p***. Come to think of it if I were in you group I'd think the person who made the proposal was taking the p***. I'd rather take the extra time to go out a shoot the real homeless but in a surreptitious manner so as not to be offensive.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Oldboy

It bothers you irv because it's not real life just a fake. Most homeless people are ignored by too many people. Do what Abbers does and go and speak to them and ask if you can take their photos. I sure a couple of quid for a coffee would be welcome, and it would make you feel good inside.  ;D

irv_b

Quote from: Oldboy on November 15, 2010, 09:42:17 PM
It bothers you irv because it's not real life just a fake. Most homeless people are ignored by too many people. Do what Abbers does and go and speak to them and ask if you can take their photos. I sure a couple of quid for a coffee would be welcome, and it would make you feel good inside.  ;D

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject guys
As I said earlier I wont be going on the shoot anyway (it's in a few weeks time)  I have shot  the homeless in the past sometimes as a candid and sometimes I have gone and spoke to them but I have always tried to give them due respect and somehow I feel doing this is belittling them whether they see us or not
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

ABERS

Do what Abbers does and go and speak to them and ask if you can take their photos. I sure a couple of quid for a coffee would be welcome, and it would make you feel good inside.  ;D

Sorry Oldboy not me. I've said many a time that I don't take pictures of those that are obviously down on their luck, the bewildered or the inebriated. Their misfortunes are not to be highlighted and exposed to general view. They are people with enough problems without me making something of it. If you search through my web site or Flickr sets you may find the odd eccentric but none that fit the list that I made above.

I have no problem with those that do, that's their choice and it sometimes it is to highlight a good cause or the deficiencies in our society. One could fill a few GBs of cards in a day around London, but not me.

Why pick on the homeless for the exercise, why not dress up a few extras as chinless wonders around the bars in the city? :D

Graham

It all depends on how you  approache it and what your motives are.
    I strugle with the view of some folk who say they won't photograph the homeless, down and outs, disabled and so on. It would seem to me that the implication is that such groups are not worthy of the photographers talents. I think you'll find the homeless have as much dignity as anyone else, and are just as worthy of your attention.
    Iv'e never met you Irv, but from seeing your pictures and reading you comments I'm sure that you would approach any project sympathetically.
                              Graham.

NB   Alan made his post as I was typing mine and it would appear that we have different views, I do however agree that dressing up and being photographed as a "Homeless Person" would be a step too far for me.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Jonathan

Nothing is of itself good or bad but thinking makes it so.

Do you intend to demean, embarrass or exploit people by these pictures?  Didn't think so ;)
It's Guest's round

Oldboy

Quote from: ABERS on November 15, 2010, 10:34:28 PM
Do what Abbers does and go and speak to them and ask if you can take their photos. I sure a couple of quid for a coffee would be welcome, and it would make you feel good inside.  ;D

Sorry Oldboy not me. I've said many a time that I don't take pictures of those that are obviously down on their luck, the bewildered or the inebriated. Their misfortunes are not to be highlighted and exposed to general view. They are people with enough problems without me making something of it. If you search through my web site or Flickr sets you may find the odd eccentric but none that fit the list that I made above.

I have no problem with those that do, that's their choice and it sometimes it is to highlight a good cause or the deficiencies in our society. One could fill a few GBs of cards in a day around London, but not me.

Why pick on the homeless for the exercise, why not dress up a few extras as chinless wonders around the bars in the city? :D
Sorry Abbers.  :-[

ABERS

Eileen

I share your sense of unease Irv, though I'm not sure I can explain why. Our of interest, why is your group doing this - what are their aims?

Bigbill

Hewwo from Freezing Sheffy,,

Isnt it all about what the pics are to be used for ?
Its quite possible that good gritty shots of the appalling plight of the street dwellers(be it staged or not may in some way help them in the long run ??)
Anyway,your focus(get it) is on producing good quality photography,,,,,so GO DO IT !!

Shine On

today my beloved Owls are in the high court again,,,
and will probably not exist in a month.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.