• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 60
  • Total: 60
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Old Cameras

Started by skellum, August 06, 2011, 10:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skellum

I decided I needed a bit more photographic interest in my shop window apart from pictures so I decided old cameras might be a good idea so of I went to ebay and came up with the three antiques below ( prices are what I paid plus postage ). The supprising thing was how cheap they were.

I went for the movie camera as it reminded me of my Dad and his Super 8 cine camera in the 60s & 70s with which he mainly recorded us waving at him or kicking a ball to give the film some action. What amazes me now is that at the time we lived in South Africa and he never  recorded any of the fantastic landscape and wildlife apart from a very embarrassing scene in the Valley of a 1000 Hills  ( Natal Region ) with myself aged 12 stood waving ( again ) at the camera while surrounded by bare chested native women jumping up and down. 

As for the bellows camera well I have allways liked the look of them and I am sure a lot of us can remember the brownie.

The second picture shows some of the gear I have collected / used over the years which are not worth a bean now thanks to the digital age ..... what a shame   :'( 

spinner

I still have my dad's old brownie (don't tell my brother). I want to put it in one of those glass display boxes. :)
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Beaux Reflets

My first was a little brown box camera about three inch cube - a Kodak I think  ;D - My Pa had a bellow jobby in those days too  ;)
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

I meant to dig out my 'collection' of camera's, and see if I could somehow work it into some sort of still life.
This post has revived the idea, and I'll start a rummage once I finished all the other things I meant to do.

It ain't much, but my Dad's 'bellows jobby' (I think it's a Zeiss Ikon, from the fifties), is the thing I started with as a child.

Thanks for reminding me!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

skellum

WillyP  Can't say I saw any Argoflex  cameras when looking on e.bay.   Howard  your Kodak Instamatic looks like new. 

Hinfrance

Thanks Dave, I do try to take care of things - not always successfully as I can be very clumsy  ::)

I don't have either of my first two SLRs, a Zenit B and then a Yashica TL Electro, but I do still have my Mamiya NC1000S which was number three.

I think as a passtime this week I'll empty the cupboards of all the camera related stuff I have hoarded over the years a photograph it.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

I was going to take a photograph of my old camera's, but got stuck at this one. In my opinion the most interesting one, as the others are just run of the mill things from the seventies and early eighties.

Has anyone any idea how old this camera could be? My husband thought it might be pre war, and that could well be the case. It was bought in Holland, in the early fifties and may well have been second hand. I don't know how quickly camera manufacturing restarted in Germany after the war. It's a Zeiss Ikon.

Oh, and it comes with a beautiful brown leather bag (?). Not sure what you call those leather covers camera's used to have.
And far as I can see, it is still in working order, only the selftimer is a bit sluggish.

krennon

Wow some old stuff there

Reinardina the old leather cases that used to fit over cameras were called ever ready cases as you just used to flip the top over and it would hang down under the camera leaving access to the buttons and levers (remember those LEVERS yep mechanical things)
Dunno if your Zeiss Ikon would have had an actual ever ready case though being a bellows type camera.
If you really want to know more about that camera try here http://www.nanites.co.uk/pccgb/ the Photographic Collectors Club of Great Britain, if you contact them with the shots you've taken I am sure they would be able to help, see if there are any markings/serial no's etc that you could give them as that would probably definately help identify it and maybe even narrow down the year of manufacture.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Reinardina

Quote from: krennon on August 28, 2011, 12:17:59 PM
Wow some old stuff there

Reinardina the old leather cases that used to fit over cameras were called ever ready cases as you just used to flip the top over and it would hang down under the camera leaving access to the buttons and levers (remember those LEVERS yep mechanical things)
Dunno if your Zeiss Ikon would have had an actual ever ready case though being a bellows type camera.
If you really want to know more about that camera try here http://www.nanites.co.uk/pccgb/ the Photographic Collectors Club of Great Britain, if you contact them with the shots you've taken I am sure they would be able to help, see if there are any markings/serial no's etc that you could give them as that would probably definately help identify it and maybe even narrow down the year of manufacture.

The leather bag (beautifully lined in red velvet) is not an ever ready! You have to pull out the whole camera to be able to use it.

On the other site, I had a bit of a go at identifying the thing, with the help of others of course. Think we pinned it down to somewhere in the late forties. Got sidetracked however and never went any further.

Thanks to your post,I had another look and just discovered the type number (Nettar515/2) and a quick look on the internet revealed one from 1937, which, however is not the same camera.

I'll have to go back to it now, sadly haven't got much time at the moment.

Cathus

Reinardina - check out Camerapedia for info on the Zeiss Ikon Nettar - http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Zeiss_Ikon_Nettar

I've been on that site loads this past week as I've been buying some vintage cameras myself.

Reinardina

I had a look there, but did not quite find what I was looking for. It's a bit of a puzzle.

Had some feedback on the other site, but still confused.

http://www.photoradar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6751

Haven't got much time at the moment, so I'll have to leave it.

Good luck wiht your old camera's!

Reading McKeowns guide, Reinardina, it does look as though yours is an Ikonta 521/2. The date of manufacture is a bit vague, starting from 1938, going up to "post war years".
Camerapedia has a similar (identical?) camera listed, but its manufacture date is from 1947 (link).

Reinardina

Quote from: Deegee on September 10, 2011, 04:49:03 AM
Reading McKeowns guide, Reinardina, it does look as though yours is an Ikonta 521/2. The date of manufacture is a bit vague, starting from 1938, going up to "post war years".
Camerapedia has a similar (identical?) camera listed, but its manufacture date is from 1947 (link).

This is from Camerapedia:
Ikonta C 521/2 with Tessar and Compur shutter

Year of release: 1947
Type: viewfinder folding camera
Film/framesize: 120 / 6×9cm
Lens: Tessar 1:4.5/105mm or alternative Novar
Shutter: Compur shutter 1 - 1/250
Finder: two-frame finder

Mine definitely has a Prontor-S shutter though!

Just had it out again and discovered yet another number on the metal case.
At the top it says Nettar 515/2, at the bottom: T  37 12

Could that be a date? Somewhere on the internet I saw a photo of a 515/2 from 1937, but it was not the same camera! Definitely a look alike, but not the same.

The more I find out, the less I know!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.