• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 66
  • Total: 66
  • Google
7ds
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

Weekly or Monthly Challenge? POLL and comments

Started by Hinfrance, February 04, 2009, 12:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekly or Monthly Challenge?

Weekly
16 (84.2%)
Monthly
3 (15.8%)
Fortnightly
0 (0%)
Not keen on the whole idea
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: February 18, 2009, 12:29:44 PM

Sarasocke

Dave - I guess you mean the area or country each of us lives in, in my case Germany ?
Got lots of ieas already  :D
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Oldboy

Quote from: lurkalot on February 08, 2009, 05:28:32 PM
Quote from: Oldboy on February 07, 2009, 09:19:48 PM
That's OK with me.  :tup:
It says the poll is open until 18th but it is locked, and no I haven't voted.  :-\

Sorry oldboy, just noticed this.  ???   I've un-locked it again.  ;)
Thanks Lurkalot.  :2funny:

oRGie

Go for it Dave, start a thread with the subject  :tup:

skellum

Hello All,
I have sent Mick a PM so we should have somewhere to post to in the morning, I suggested ( International Weekly Comp Entries ) as there now seems to be members from all corners of the globe, plus it sounds quite impressive ( especially when you win )............Another thought was to make comments on posted images, be they in the gallery or competitions as this will generate a community spirit, but please remember constructive criticism helps but rudeness destroys confidence.  So good luck to all and we will see how it goes.     PS  if you have any suggestions let me know by PMs or the forum.

Bye for now, Dave.......... :legit:

hevans

I do like the idea of the participants (and others) providing a critique of the entered shots. It's not so difficult, you just have to look at the shot, and try to work out what would have made it better (ok, there's the odd filter99, or D. Bracher that produce something that I can't think of how to improve). The only trick is to make sure the comments are constructive and provide enough information to allow the photographer (and others lurking in the shadows) to learn.

From my experiences with critiquing on the DCM poll (a year or so ago...when I had spare time... and before fizzio started to do a grand job) I found that the critiquing probably helped me more than the photographer, as it made me think about why I do/don't like a shot, which I then started to apply to my own work. So, it's not just for the benefit of the author of the photograph.

H.

oRGie

I'd love to participate, but being at work mon to sat 9am to 8pm is going to make it hard if entries are to be taken mon to thursday each week..  good luck chaps ..

skellum

I also work strange hours covering football matches evening & weekends, Have you thought of taking a night shot.......... I wouldn't want anyone to miss out on the competition. Anyway the summer months will be here soon so plenty of opportunities for all after work.
Hope you can manage something for this week......Dave  :legit:

oRGie

I thought the point of a week long comp was to give as many people as possible the chance to get a shot, sure i could grab a snap at any time, but to think of a good shot, find time to go get it wont be possible after work, have to eat and do other mundane stuff too  :)

irv_b

Quote from: oRGie on February 09, 2009, 02:44:44 PM
I thought the point of a week long comp was to give as many people as possible the chance to get a shot, sure i could grab a snap at any time, but to think of a good shot, find time to go get it wont be possible after work, have to eat and do other mundane stuff too  :)

What was that saying "LUNCH IS FOR WIMPS"   ;) :legit:
It'll be a pity if you can't find time to get a snap in but how can we arrange it to make it more inclusive? short of making it a two week comp but that would still only leave you a sunday and I'm sure you'll have plenty to do to on that day :(
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

oRGie

lol Irv  :)  I was hoping it would be as discussed above, ie a week to take the pics and a week to set up poll, vote and post new idea, and a second comp if you like running consecutive weeks :)

skellum

The point of the competition is to build a photographic community on this site, to quote another saying " Its not the winning its the taking part ". Nobody will win a Nobel prize for photography, but someone will, I hope win our first competition.
Some weeks & weekends ( mainly summer ) I may have loads of time to think of possible photo opportunities and setups but most of the time I am like everyone else ( Preoccupied with daily life ).
We set this competition up as an extra / alternative to the DCM competition and need to keep it uncomplicated.

Hinfrance

This is the trouble with not having a table to sit around and discuss things all together - I have to admit that I thought we were agreeing that there would be a rolling weekly competition - a whole 7 days to get you picture, one or two to spruce it up and then four or five days to vote followed by a day to set up the next one.

However, Dave has put in the effort to set up this week's, so I think we should complete this one as it has been set up. Do we need to do another poll to sort out which system is preferred by the majority?

I'm happy to participate either way, but as I said, my preference is for the rolling format.

TTFN,

Howard
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Sarasocke

Although it doesn't make much difference to me as I am at home anyway, like Howard I was under the impression we had the sort of rolling version  :legit:

But I really don't mind either way  :)
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

oRGie

Quote from: skellum ( Dave ) on February 10, 2009, 01:35:30 AM
The point of the competition is to build a photographic community on this site, to quote another saying " Its not the winning its the taking part ". Nobody will win a Nobel prize for photography, but someone will, I hope win our first competition.
Some weeks & weekends ( mainly summer ) I may have loads of time to think of possible photo opportunities and setups but most of the time I am like everyone else ( Preoccupied with daily life ).
We set this competition up as an extra / alternative to the DCM competition and need to keep it uncomplicated.

Hi Dave,

I get that of course, same here, just want to be part of a growing community  :)  and whatever the setup I will if i can take part. I was just trying to say that imho the easier it is for a wider audience to take part the better, everyone has different schedules and by having it a rolling system with a week to take a photo it should suit the majority of people, those with only a free sunday and those with free time during the day during the week..  It seems to me also that the people who like the dcm weekend comp might join in here if they have made time for that one they can also do a shot for this one at the weekends.

:beer:

irv_b

I think you better get another poll set up sooner rather than later Howard ;D
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.