• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 25
  • Total: 25
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What made you feel good today

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

Quote from: Graham on March 13, 2012, 06:56:23 AM
Quote from: irv_b on March 12, 2012, 08:33:40 PM
WMMFGT
After chatting with one of the salesmen from my company last year about photography, I was given a film camera a few weeks back that belonged to his father and was languishing in his loft. My first few shots have been developed and scanned at a local lab in Balham have come back. I'm quite chuffed with them considering it's medium format and I have only dabbled a bit with 35mm and the results of that haven't been to clever. Having not been into photography before the digital age, I think I may try to find the time to explore this a bit more. Any advice is welcome.

What is it? (Picture maybe?).
                 Graham. :)

It's a camera.  :uglystupid2:

Graham

Quote from: Oldboy on March 13, 2012, 09:10:36 AM
WMMFGT
After chatting with one of the salesmen from my company last year about photography, I was given a film camera a few weeks back that belonged to his father and was languishing in his loft. My first few shots have been developed and scanned at a local lab in Balham have come back. I'm quite chuffed with them considering it's medium format and I have only dabbled a bit with 35mm and the results of that haven't been to clever. Having not been into photography before the digital age, I think I may try to find the time to explore this a bit more. Any advice is welcome.

It's a camera.  :uglystupid2:

Kindly leave the stage. :knuppel2:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Hinfrance

I'm probably way behind the curve on this one, having only come into ownership of a smartphone fairly recently, but what made me feel good today was Google Sky Maps.

Just pointing the 'phone at the sky and seeing all the clusters, stars and planets labeled right where it is pointing is so cool.

I know, I know, I'm easily impressed.  :uglystupid2:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on March 13, 2012, 08:46:24 PM
I'm probably way behind the curve on this one, having only come into ownership of a smartphone fairly recently, but what made me feel good today was Google Sky Maps.

Just pointing the 'phone at the sky and seeing all the clusters, stars and planets labeled right where it is pointing is so cool.

How do you know if it's correct?  :doh:

Hinfrance

Quote from: Oldboy on March 13, 2012, 09:08:20 PM

Oh it is. I have a telescope and some knowledge of the sky. I pointed it at things I knew the names and locations of without having to look at my planisphere, Jupiter, Venus, M42, Rigel etc, and it's bang on. Makes a smartphone actually worthwhile despite the battery life :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

hevans

Quote from: Oldboy on March 13, 2012, 09:08:20 PM

Umm... you hold it up and compare the sky with what's seen on the screen. If they match, then they're correct. If they don't match, then reality is out of order.

H.

Hinfrance

Quote from: hevans on March 14, 2012, 11:14:24 AM

Umm... you hold it up and compare the sky with what's seen on the screen. If they match, then they're correct. If they don't match, then reality is out of order.

H.

I've double checked Hugh, the sky definitely hasn't got any labels on it - no text at all in fact. So I suppose reality really must be out of order . .   :legit:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

SimonW

It sounds a very useful phone gadget. Mariners can now navigate by the stars even when they can't see them!
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Graham

Quote from: Hinfrance on March 14, 2012, 12:20:53 PM

H.

I've double checked Hugh, the sky definitely hasn't got any labels on it - no text at all in fact. So I suppose reality really must be out of order . .   :legit:

I find reality to be overrated. :-\

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

ABERS

Just to put my mind at rest, is this the gear that Mystic Meg uses? ???

I get hammered to death by a mate that calls round for a cuppa, and without fail holds his iThingy up to the sky and say, "Bet you can't guess what stars are up there behind those clouds?". I think he's got the message now by the look on my face that I don't really care. :doh:

hevans

Quote from: ABERS on March 14, 2012, 12:54:48 PM
Just to put my mind at rest, is this the gear that Mystic Meg uses? ???

I get hammered to death by a mate that calls round for a cuppa, and without fail holds his iThingy up to the sky and say, "Bet you can't guess what stars are up there behind those clouds?". I think he's got the message now by the look on my face that I don't really care. :doh:

Well, if it's daytime, then you could answer "Sol". If it's nighttime then point at the ground and say you know which stars are below you, e.g. "Sol".

If you're in the UK and know where north is, then point roughly 53 degrees up to the north and say "Polaris" and the stars of Ursa minor.

Oldboy

Quote from: Graham on March 14, 2012, 12:37:04 PM
Quote from: Hinfrance on March 14, 2012, 12:20:53 PM

H.

I find reality to be overrated. :-\

Unreal!  :legit:

irv_b

WMMFGT

it's a Mamiya j 645
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Hinfrance

You lucky man Irv.  I'm speechless. I always wanted one of these, not least because most of them can take a digital back . . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Graham

Lucky chap indeed. I presume you'll be putting some film through it?
                 Graham. :tup:

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.