• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 91
  • Total: 91
  • Bingbot
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Wnna see me "in action"?

Started by Jonathan, March 12, 2010, 08:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

S-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o......I just hired a videographer and took a client out into an incredibly muddy field and dragged along a make up artist and a lighting Ninja and a Hasselbald and a ton of lighting gear......

Two weeks later the video is ready.  Want to see?

http://peoplebyryan.com/weddings/behind-the-scenes-trash-the-dress

I'm planning to run a series of "behind the scenes at a pro shoot" videos but they are expensive and time consuming.  So if you like the vid, and like the idea then please

1. Mention that page to all your mates (Twitter, Flickr etc)
2. Leave me a comment on the web page.

Then I'll know you care.  And I'll make more.
It's Guest's round

picsfor

And you still wanna go Irv?  :tup: ::)

Lovely clip Jonathan - it seems to go hand in hand with your photography ethos - have fun. Probably the only thing that didn't have fun was the dress!
One comment on the video - the sound seemed like it was overlaid in a hollow room.
I would have preferred to have heard it whilst out doing the shoot - sort of in between shots maybe.
Otherwise - look forward to the next one, and doubtless the DVD and book to accompany :doh:

Jonathan

Quote from: picsfor on March 12, 2010, 08:47:03 AM
One comment on the video - the sound seemed like it was overlaid in a hollow room.

Yeah, because it was......

Overlay sound was recorded in the gallery.  Apparently sound on location is tricky sicne we only had shotgun mikes.

"Next time" I'll try a recording studio :)
It's Guest's round

Sarasocke

Have left a comment Jonathan - superb idea!

Some friends of mine are getting married and had never heard of "trash the dress" ..... they have now  :D
It's not for a while yet, but we're already looking for a suitable location.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

picsfor

Quote from: Jonathan on March 12, 2010, 08:54:05 AM
Quote from: picsfor on March 12, 2010, 08:47:03 AM

Yeah, because it was......

Overlay sound was recorded in the gallery.  Apparently sound on location is tricky sicne we only had shotgun mikes.

"Next time" I'll try a recording studio :)

I think with your work Jonathan - you really do strive to achieve the 'best' result no matter what and we get used to things being spot on. So something like that became a bit more surprising. Hadn't really considered the science of getting that 'natural' sound. But knowing you - it won't take long to achieve it! I suppose to some degree i have no room to talk as i'm not remotely close to achieving what you do and have done with this video - i justknow that you like things to be the best they can be...

CML-1591

Good Video and behind the scenes, is this an intro sort of thing as i guess behind the scenes stuff would show more of the lighting and such and where it was rather than pointing the camera at the tog. Or is that more tutorial kind of stuff? Can't wait to see more though :tup:

One note. That picture at the top of page, looks like he is filming up her dress or something...

seen these behind the scenes stuff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy_o9bu1jk0

Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Jonathan

Quote from: Sarasocke on March 12, 2010, 09:09:10 AM
Have left a comment Jonathan - superb idea!

Some friends of mine are getting married and had never heard of "trash the dress" ..... they have now  :D
It's not for a while yet, but we're already looking for a suitable location.

Thank you!  Comments on the website really help me.

Quote from: picsfor on March 12, 2010, 10:06:38 AM
I think with your work Jonathan - you really do strive to achieve the 'best' result no matter what and we get used to things being spot on. So something like that became a bit more surprising. Hadn't really considered the science of getting that 'natural' sound. But knowing you - it won't take long to achieve it! I suppose to some degree i have no room to talk as i'm not remotely close to achieving what you do and have done with this video - i justknow that you like things to be the best they can be...

No seriously - I'm grateful for the feedback.  I never even thought about the echo (we knew about the MUA sending texts causing the phone noise).  I'll look at it for the next one.

Quote from: CML-1591 on March 12, 2010, 11:33:44 AM
Good Video and behind the scenes, is this an intro sort of thing as i guess behind the scenes stuff would show more of the lighting and such and where it was rather than pointing the camera at the tog. Or is that more tutorial kind of stuff? Can't wait to see more though :tup:

TBH I'm not sure.  I created this to see how interested people were and create a bit of a buzz.  It's going down a storm on Twitter.

Tutorials is an option.  I'm trying to figure out what demand there would be.  As with everything the problem is covering costs and making money.  If I sold training I'd be all over it.  As it is the current one was designed to show people who might hire me what they can expect so it's a very different slant.

What do you think?  Good idea to do more?  What would you want to see?
It's Guest's round

jinky

Great idea Jonathan and nice to watch. Left comment on website - love to see more

Simple

Jonathan

Mmmmmm OK.....so people seem to like these.

Maybe a couple more won't hurt.

BTW if you have a Twitter account then do me a favour...just visit the story and hit the "retweet" button.  Ta ever so ;)  And if you don't have a Twitter account you really should........
It's Guest's round

ABERS

Quote from: Jonathan on March 12, 2010, 05:32:56 PM
And if you don't have a Twitter account you really should........

Why.... ???

Graham

Yup. Kept me entertained and interested.
                       Graham. :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Hinfrance

Super effort Jonathan.

Don't worry too much about the sound - it was fine, really. The spoken word is one of the hardest things to record without it sounding weird. A padded room, sibilance shield and a very expensive condenser or valve mike with a noiseless pre-amp ought to do it. Oh, and don't move anything more than your mouth while you talk or it will end up on the soundtrack.

Or you can just carry on as you are - why waste the money and effort on something that's not required?

And for conicindence, a wedding at High Rocks is the only one I've ever been involved in shooting. It could have gone better . . not the wedding, the pictures. I'm afraid that as I was first and foremost a guest there may have been some alcohol involved.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

hevans

Interesting video. If the target audience is future wedding clients, then it's good. It gives a flavour of what to expect on the location shoot and a hint at your motivation and history. But you mention making tutorials, etc. For those you'd really need to get more technique into it and behind the scenes shoots, preparation for the shoot (day before, morning before the talent arrives, selection of lighting, etc.). Also really be harsh about whittling down the content to the target audience.

Some suggestions/comments:

There are a lot of "Umms" in the narrative. Need to cut those down.

the YouTube system of using a frame from the middle of the shot should be exploited better, as the non-playing view is of a bride with her head cut off in a puddle. Stick one of the shots mid way through.

It didn't seem a particularly extreme trashing of the dress, though. It got a bit wet and muddy. I thought there was going to be some mud wrestling.  :o

For me the most interesting part was just seeing and hearing J. Ryan. Quite different from what I expected - with the avatars you've presented and postings about the rowing machine I was expecting more of an rough and tumble chap with an east end accent, Mitchell brother type of thing, but without all the "shut-its!".  :D

And finally, Yes, I'd be interested in seeing some more. Need to really think hard about the audience and carefully target the video.

Hope this helps, and was constructive.

Ta.
Hugh

CML-1591

Quote from: ABERS on March 12, 2010, 06:19:50 PM
Quote from: Jonathan on March 12, 2010, 05:32:56 PM
And if you don't have a Twitter account you really should........

Why.... ???

Even better, we were MADE to get one!
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.