• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 117
  • Total: 117
  • Google
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Poll for POT LUCK

Started by greypoint, December 01, 2009, 08:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please vote!

Madge - Sarasocke  

Bonnie - oRGie  

Wagtail - Greypoint  

Money Shot - jimthetrain

Dunnock - Oldboy

Last rose - Tringle WP

Teenage Smiles - Irv_b  

Seagull on the dock of tyhe bay - jinky

Cathedral - Alan 1572

Telephones and Christmas Wheel - Dave

greypoint

alan1572

voted
why is mine bigger? ( and it's cold )
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

bones615

Quote from: alan1572 on December 01, 2009, 08:32:11 PM
voted
why is mine bigger? ( and it's cold )

Too much manipulation???????? perhaps your eyesight has been affected :D :D

magicrhodes

Had to go for Preston, have spent many a rain night queuing for Squires behind Dave then in the chippy behind and to the right of Dave!

skellum

Quote from: magicrhodes on December 03, 2009, 04:13:56 PM
Had to go for Preston, have spent many a rain night queuing for Squires behind Dave then in the chippy behind and to the right of Dave!

You mean this Chippy & this night club less the preachers. By the way the Market St Chippy is still one of the best we use it when on the market. As for Squires well I've not been in there for many a year.

Jonathan

'k, I don't get as much time to do this as I'd like but here goes with my take on the shots.  Apologies if I run out of time and please remember this is only my opinion....

Sarasocke: I like this shot a lot and probably spent more time looking at it than any other.  Overall I think the greys are a little muddy (something I often struggle with) and would have like to see more light on the part of her face close to us and possibly more of the far eye.  A tiny change in pose might have done this.  Maybe bug Abers to write a tute on his B&W conversions ;)

oRGie: very cute.  But really, I want a back light on this.  I don''t really care how you do that but ATM his head is vanishing into the b/g.  A backlight/kicker would have set this on fire.

Greypoint: nice leading lines, good colour palette etc.  But it's not a picture of a wagtail.  It's a pic of a massive metal thing with a wagtail next to it.  The metal is bigger, sharper and better lit.  Not sure how you could have fixed this without frightening the bird off though.

jim:hmm, yeah.  Very clever, very sharp.  But I'm afraid it's just some money standing on edge.  In shots like this detail is everything.  The 20p is duller than the rest.  Some are new style coins, some are old etc.  The angle's a little odd too.  Ultimately it's a nice shot but with no real point for me.

Oldboy: very nice.  Doesn't suffer from the aggressive sharpening that often afflicts your bird pics ;)  Looks pretty sharp (though I can only see a small version)but the focus fall off looks a bit weird.  Any post processing you want to own up to?

Tringle:  Very nice and you've done a good job of exposing this because yellows can be pretty tricky.  I suppose it suffers from lots of the same issues as Jim's.  Doesn't make it (or his) a bad shot but I don't feel any connection here.

Irv: love it.  Lovely relaxed portrait with lovely lighting.  On the down side there's that shape in the bottom left (a knee?) and his hand is getting more light than his face which makes it dominate the picture a little.  If I was being picky I'd say move the light up in the frame  alittle to move the nose shadow.  But that's really a matter of taste.

Jinky: yeah.  Like it a lot.  As I said in the gallery I really want light on the bird.  If the ISO's high enough you'd be surprised how far a pop up flash can reach.

Alan: nice.  I don't know if you're shooting through glass or your tripod isn't heavy enough or you're hand holding.  Either way it's soft.  If it was razor sharp this would be stunning.  I'd probably crop the yellow thing on the bottom right and touch out the row of blue lights in upper left.

Dave: oo yeah.  Isn't there a popular postcard like this? ;)  Ultimately I want more contrast in this.  Longer exposure to let the light soak in and stop down to like f18 and then punch the colours and this would rock.

You can only vote for one but my top 3 are
1: Irv
2: Sarasocke
3: Dave
It's Guest's round

Oldboy

Thanks for the comments Jonathan, and I don't apply sharping except what I've set in the camera. In fact this was posted as from camera and just resized in Photoshop.  ;D

I voted for Tringle WP's rose.  :tup:

Thanks to the people who voted for my shot.  ;D

oRGie

Jonathon, love the crit  :beer:  "Let the light soak in"  ooh I like that, should be on a t'shirt ;)

Sarasocke

Oohh, super to have a crit ! Thanks Jonathan.

All points taken on my pic, although I wouldn't have been able to take it any differently. She wasn't posing for me, the photo was a candid and I thought she looked so melancholy sitting there. The light was just the window in the very small sitting room. She's used to me playing around with the camera and wasn't aware that I was actually taking a picture of her until it clicked. I suppose there's a lot of my own personal feelings in the photograph.

I voted for Irv's portrait, it seems so positive somehow. The knee did bother me a bit, I must admit ;)
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

alan1572

jonathan, i was at the top of an open air tower hand holding in a gale, other than that it was just fine ;D,
i take onboard what you say about the crop, cheers
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

irv_b

Many thanks for the crit Jonathon  :tup: I tried cropping the knee out but I thought it seemed to throw out the balance of the photo off maybe I should have got him to re-pose but it was an off the cuff shot. You are right about the flash maybe I should have flagged it
Thanks Carol and the other guys who voted for my pic :beer:
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

magicrhodes

Quote from: Dave on December 03, 2009, 07:07:26 PM
Quote from: magicrhodes on December 03, 2009, 04:13:56 PM

You mean this Chippy & this night club less the preachers. By the way the Market St Chippy is still one of the best we use it when on the market. As for Squires well I've not been in there for many a year.

Glad it is all still there, BTW seeing those pics has caused be involuntarily to jump to the left and step to the right, basically I've just done the timewarp...  it was good, I might even suggest doing it again!  :D :D

Would you mind emailing a small image of Squires so I can put a reminder to my mates on Facebook? It's cheaper to ask than drive to Preston!

jimthetrain

Well done Jonathon for reviewing all the pics, a very time consuming thing to do. I take your point on the detail side of things in these types of shots and sometimes its the most obvious things in a staged photo that we tend to overlook  :-[. (well some of us anyway  :2funny: )

Its good to have these things pointed out.  :tup:

Jim
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

Hinfrance

Big thanks to Jonathan for the crits - always helpful. Can't argue with your remarks on mine - it's just a flower record shot.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Well done Dave for winning this week's competition.  :tup:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.