• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 89
  • Total: 90
  • Mick
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Non photo magazines

Started by irv_b, January 20, 2010, 09:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irv_b

I was wondering do you guys still analyze the pictures that you see in non photo specific magazine. Do you grow out of it once you've been into photography for a while or does it become second nature and you find yourself doing it without thinking?
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

skellum

I do look at football pictures in the press and sometimes think why did the picture editor pick that one. Also take a quick look at local county type magazines in the supermarkets to see what they have been photographing in the North West but thats about it, I also passby the photo mags now......... :legit:  

picsfor

Rarely consider pictures in non photo magazines. Don't always consider them in photo magazines either.
Am getting less and less magazines altogether.

I think i used them at work when on jobs where we had a 15 -30 minute turn round to fill in the time

ABERS

I think I tend to look at the non-photographic more than the photographic, except for the two that I subscribe to. Wait a minute I only 'subscribe' to one now Ag. My subscrption to B+W Photography is free for a year following the picture of mine that they published in December. :tup:

You can almost bet your boots on what you will see in the photographic mags, dependant on the time of the year. Don't forget most periodicals, magazines of all types , newspapers ect. are illustrated by photographs taken by professionals, more than you can say about the images appearing in photo mags.

Take B+W for example ::)

Cabbyjohn

I will sometimes look at an advert in a magazine, it could be a bar of chocolate or a box of cornflakes. I will then try to replicate the ad as closely as possible just to see if I can. this is mainly done out of boredom, I have only been retired for three weeks and the boredom is kicking in already.  :D

Malcolm1938

Not magazines as such but Travel Catalogues for an area I'm going to visit often point to some of the better photo locations. Also County magazines can give a lot of help.

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

ABERS

It's amazing what you can find while you're waiting in a take-a-way. :tup:

Forseti

Quote from: irv_b on January 20, 2010, 09:26:16 PM
I was wondering do you guys still analyze the pictures that you see in non photo specific magazine.

Yes very much so although I tend to avoid paying too much attention to front covers as these are either heavily montaged or *photoshopped* to death it's difficult to make out what the original must have looked like. Most press photographs I also pay little attention to as most are, for obvious reasons, opportunist shots where the capture takes priority over quality. Of the images that I do view I analyse (to use your expression) composition and lighting, both trying to understand and possibly learn something from them - like the wolf jumping over a gate for example.  :tup:
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.