• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 89
  • Total: 89
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

D4 announced

Started by greypoint, January 06, 2012, 07:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff I

One can only dream for a camera like that.  :)

Oldboy

Hinfrance

Very lovely I'm sure, and a boon to working professionals for whom it will make commercial sense.

The cash for that would buy our next two cars . . . but I bet Oldboy is working out how to get his hands on one right now  :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

spinner

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 06, 2012, 09:43:51 AM
The cash for that would buy our next two cars . . . but I bet Oldboy is working out how to get his hands on one right now  :tup:

Really? I'm moving to France. I couldn't get a decent WinterBeater for that money.
On the upside, used D3's will hopefully become plentiful.  :D
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Simple

I hope to get my hands on one in March. My colleague has pre-booked one for the business. We have been looking at adding some video footage to our weddings without using extra people/equipment. This might just do the trick. If it does not work we should end up at least with a decent camera. LOL

Jonathan

I read an article on this yesterday (OK, skimmed it - it was in French).  Apparently Nikon have basically been snookered into releasing the D4 because there are very few D3S left in the supply chain due to the Thailand "situation".

It looks nice.  But doesn't have anything I'd sell a D3/D3S for.  I'd expect a fairly slow upgrade from pros meaning that the majority of 2nd hand D3S around will be, um, well used.  Plus resale values will remain relatively high since the D3 series is still try desirable (totally the opposite from when the D3 eclipsed the D2X).

Rich amateur market will probs flock to it to have the latest and greatest.  I bet guests will have them at weddings later this year.  I'll struggle by without for a while.
It's Guest's round

picsfor

Yes, it's been doing the rounds for a week on Canon Rumours web site - interesting response to the 1DX.

The only real bonus seems to be the QXD card that means you can shoot 100 full RAW images without overloading the buffer.

I'm gonna agree with Jonathan here, in as much as i don't see many Nikon Pros jumping to upgrade, though i bet those attending the Olympics will all be sporting them, as will those at Euro 2012.

The Canon 1DX is much more of a leap for Canon people, but i can't really see either body forcing the big brand jump that the 1D3 caused with its failed AF just as Nikon released the D3 that seemed to work out of the box. So, roll on D800 and 5D3 announcements  :tup:

spinner

Quote from: Jonathan on January 06, 2012, 10:08:06 AM

It looks nice.  But doesn't have anything I'd sell a D3/D3S for.  I'd expect a fairly slow upgrade from pros meaning that the majority of 2nd hand D3S around will be, um, well used.  Plus resale values will remain relatively high since the D3 series is still try desirable (totally the opposite from when the D3 eclipsed the D2X).

Oh, go ahead, burst my bubble. First it was not winning the Lotto now this. :( :'(
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Alfonso_Frisk

Something I meant to ask before regarding new upgraded cam sysytems.
Do pro/semi pro togs actually use and find useful the video capability on these cams?
Personally I cant see the point, but perhaps I am missing something ??

RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Hinfrance

Quote from: spinner on January 06, 2012, 09:54:34 AM
Quote from: Hinfrance on January 06, 2012, 09:43:51 AM

Really? I'm moving to France. I couldn't get a decent WinterBeater for that money.
On the upside, used D3's will hopefully become plentiful.  :D

I won't be buying them in France - I get them from the UK where second hand cars are dirt cheap. Our current #2 car is a Mercedes A Class. It was 9 years old with 74,000 miles on the clock. Cost £2000, but probably could have got one cheaper if I hadn't used a broker. Had it for two years now, spent only a couple of hundred on it in the meantime. When it breaks expensively it'll be straight to the breakers and another one bought in short order.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

picsfor

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on January 06, 2012, 01:36:48 PM
Do pro/semi pro togs actually use and find useful the video capability on these cams?

RR
Alf

Um, without a doubt - the Video is seen by many is one of the reasons the 5D2 has been so popular. Pop over to CR and see the raging arguments about needs for video to be improved on the 5D3 - and how the video imporvements on the 1DX make it worth buying just for that alone.

I've used it a couple of times, but it's not really usable on a standard carry around 5D2 - you need to hook it up to a video rig etc...

Also, a lot of colleges etc that teach video use the DSLR's for tuition because of the huge price saving over pro video kit...

Thing is, you can get adequate video from an iPhone or similar that more than meets the needs for You Tube...

Simple

Quote from: picsfor on January 06, 2012, 03:43:18 PM
Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on January 06, 2012, 01:36:48 PM

RR
Alf

Um, without a doubt - the Video is seen by many is one of the reasons the 5D2 has been so popular. Pop over to CR and see the raging arguments about needs for video to be improved on the 5D3 - and how the video imporvements on the 1DX make it worth buying just for that alone.

I've used it a couple of times, but it's not really usable on a standard carry around 5D2 - you need to hook it up to a video rig etc...

Also, a lot of colleges etc that teach video use the DSLR's for tuition because of the huge price saving over pro video kit...

Thing is, you can get adequate video from an iPhone or similar that more than meets the needs for You Tube...

We did over 20 weddings last year and 90% of the time a video was requested, they showed up with a 5Dll. Short video bursts in between the photographs makes for some classy dvd's for weddings/events.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.