• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 51
  • Total: 51
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

Quote from: irv_b on September 28, 2010, 04:08:28 PM
WAMT
Well yesterday we had a power cut in the street and when the electric was restored one of the computers wouldn't boot up so after several tries and plenty of swearing (I know nothing about computers) I phone the Mesh computer helpline  (in India) get passed around 3 depts to be told I need a total restore of windows. 2 and a bit hours later at £2 /min  :o we finally get the computer back on - I may as well of spent another couple of hundred quid gone out and bought a brand new one at that cost  >:(

Should have posted the problem on here first.  ???

My guess is the computer was on when the power went, so a file/files became corrupt. Should have been able to boot into safe mode, and used the Windows system disk to replace the corrupted files.  :tup:

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on September 28, 2010, 10:59:09 AM
I get nagged by the family to get down to the docs after wrestling with a nasty stomach bug for best part of 5 days and he tells me what I already know re: that - I`m on  the mend with that.
Then he tells me I have an "incisional hernia" which requires treatment of an op in hospital as soon as they can get me in. I had a strangulated hernia a few years ago where to be honest they made a bit of a mess -stitching me up badly - leaving me a pronounced scar after a bout of infection around it. This leaves a weakness in my abdominal muscle evidently that can rupture again and that`s what`s happened, some years after the surgery rather than the 3-6months it usually takes. I cannot believe how my body is falling apart at the moment! :(

Sorry about that.  :'(

spinner

Quote from: Jonathan on September 28, 2010, 07:48:07 AM

Can't wait to discuss with the garage who will pay the £2 - 3K to get it fixed.

You can't get a used one from a Salvage yard? $4-6 K for an ECU, you people are getting jacked. I had to pay $800 for one for my Jeep a couple of years ago, how much more complicated can a Skoda be?
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Sarasocke

Paul, I'm really sorry you're not well. I hate hospitals too, I hope you don't have to stay in too long.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

jinky

Thanks Carol but when I get it done it is just a day job now. Moaning really as on top of a virus that is giving my stomach problems still it was just the last straw to find this when visiting the docs. seems like one thing after another sometimes...

ABERS

Sorry to hear your problem Jinky, let's hope it's quickly resolved. :tup:

Oldboy

Had a letter from 3 mobile today saying hello, and welcome. It detailed my new phone account and that I had choosen the £35 a month plan. Very interesting, except I hadn't ordered any phone or opened an account with them.  >:(

Just spent half hour on the phone to them to cancelled this contract/bills. Tried to contact them via the internet but couldn't find any link to customer support/ contact details to raise this problem unless I had an account!  :o Only a number which charged 5p a minute from a BT landline, so called them on the free account number for sales.  :P

rksmith51

Quote from: Oldboy on September 29, 2010, 07:16:18 PM
so called them on the free account number for sales.  :P

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :tup: Good for you.
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

spinner

Hmmm, sounds like a scam. Our local ISP provider tried something similar a few years back, they upgraded everyone's account, free trial for a month, but neglected to tell people that if you didn't specifically call before the month was out and cancel you were on the hook for the upgrade.  The gov't eventually stepped in and slapped them.  ;D
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Oldboy

Quote from: spinner on September 29, 2010, 07:26:23 PM
Hmmm, sounds like a scam. Our local ISP provider tried something similar a few years back, they upgraded everyone's account, free trial for a month, but neglected to tell people that if you didn't specifically call before the month was out and cancel you were on the hook for the upgrade.  The gov't eventually stepped in and slapped them.  ;D

My ISP keep trying to flog me System Mechanic by a tab on my email read/write options and via a pop-up box when I log on.  >:(

Jonathan

Quote from: spinner on September 29, 2010, 03:10:02 PM
You can't get a used one from a Salvage yard? $4-6 K for an ECU, you people are getting jacked. I had to pay $800 for one for my Jeep a couple of years ago, how much more complicated can a Skoda be?

Salvage yard?  Nope.  They are coded to the vehicle and you need the precise part to even stand a chance of reprogramming it.  The PD vRS is actually a rare beast - mine is one of the first and they swapped to CR after a couple of years.

There are 3rd parties who can supply ECUs for most cars but the PD vRS is "too new" for them to have it in their database.  As I understand it somebody has to reverse engineer some of Skoda's code to do it.

The mighty charge appears to be "because we can".  The chip will be no more or less expensive than one for a Jeep or a Bentley but the code on it is proprietary so manufacturer gets to set the price.
It's Guest's round

greypoint

Just did a quick price check on the VW ETOS parts system - ECUs for diesels of that age seem to vary between £670-£970 inc VAT depending on engine code. Should be able to get the exact figure if I had the chassis no. - fitting approx 2 hours or so. £2000- £3000 seems a little excessive unless there's another problem - or this ECU is one that's so rare it's gold plated and not on the system ;)

Jonathan

Ooo thanks for that.

It's guaranteed to be the most expensive one on the list but 970 isn't actually too bad (apart from the whole "I already sold me car and if the new one were ready on time I wouldn't need to spend any money at all" bit).

2 hours' labour at a main dealer?  Yep - should tip it over £2K.... :D

ETA: actually I'm pretty sure they are gold plated.  Lots of high end computer stuff is....
It's Guest's round

greypoint

if you pm me the chassis no I can try to get the exact price if you want.

greypoint

Well, the good news is that the chassis number throws up 03G 906 018 EL as the part number for your engine ECU and the current price is £672 inc. VAT. That should be correct as I'm using VW's own search facility and I've just updated the prices.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.