• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 51
  • Total: 51
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinner

This post was supposed to go in the "What made you feel good" thread. I designed and submitted a logo for an artist group I belong to. It was one of several and mine got picked, made me feel good. The two co-founders then asked me if I could add a tag line one of the other members came up with, so I did, 3 different versions. They picked a design, but asked if I could reduce the font on the tag line. Which I did. They agreed that was what they wanted and sent the "final draft" out to all the members. Now someone has emailed me and asked if I couldn't make the font on the tag line bigger and bolder. Don't know if he's trying wind me up as a joke, but I don't find it funny.  >:(
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Oldboy

McAfee decided to install new software which included a disk scanning program running all the time, without telling me? It resulted in my PC freezing and locking up whenever I tried to use various programs including Task Manager. After a lot of messing around and reboots I found the cause and stopped it. I run scans at various times between a week and a month but I don't need it running at all times on my disk and using all the resources. If I hadn't paid for a two year subscription I would have deleted the whole program and installed Norton.  >:(

Graham

Quote from: Oldboy on July 31, 2010, 12:23:54 AM
McAfee decided to install new software which included a disk scanning program running all the time, without telling me? It resulted in my PC freezing and locking up whenever I tried to use various programs including Task Manager. After a lot of messing around and reboots I found the cause and stopped it. I run scans at various times between a week and a month but I don't need it running at all times on my disk and using all the resources. If I hadn't paid for a two year subscription I would have deleted the whole program and installed Norton.  >:(

Hi OldBoy.
                       Was there no warning that McAfee were going to do this or was it "Hidden" in a general update?
                       I have Norton on my Desktop and McAfee on my Laptop.
                                   Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

picsfor

Mcafee & Norton both have 'form' for this type of scanning activity.
Norton was usually the more aggressive of the two and i've seen many a good (and powerful) computer brought to its knees by this activity.

It was for that very reason that about 3 or 4 years ago i moved over to Kaspersky.
What a breath of fresh air.
No back ground activity to note, no scanning of every key stroke, opening or closing a file etc.

It does it's job very well and people i've recommended it to have all made the same comment - they're not moving from it while it runs like that.
The only slightly down side i've come across is an increased rate of having to disable it whilst installing some software - but that's only because it's doing its job thoroughly!

Oldboy

Quote from: Graham on July 31, 2010, 06:33:31 AM
Quote from: Oldboy on July 31, 2010, 12:23:54 AM

Hi OldBoy.
                       Was there no warning that McAfee were going to do this or was it "Hidden" in a general update?
                       I have Norton on my Desktop and McAfee on my Laptop.
                                   Graham.

No warning at all, it just did it and even changed the opening screen as well.  >:(

I've always had Norton and had very little problem with it, but McAfee was already installed on this PC so I used it.  :(

Oldboy

Just been reading the online edition of Computer Active and came across this video of the lastest scam. You are cold called about a problem with your PC and to prove their point, they get you to open the event viewer which lists warnings and error messages, which are always present on your system, regardless of which Widows operating system you have. They claim to be working with/for Microsoft but Microsoft don't do this.  >:(

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/video/2266990/call-windows-service-centre%20

If you get one of these calls then hang up.  :tup:

picsfor

yellow triangles and red circles in event viewer eh?

If M$ were to make it clear that this feature has been deliberately put into Windows and is the last hing that is likely to record malware or a virus then they might eliminate the opportunity for this type of scam.

Graham

Had a call this morning from some chap wanting me to discuss my home security with him over the phone. :o
   Needless to say, it was a very short 'phone call!
                                       Graham.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

michaelb104

The other half and I were in stop start traffic this morning coming up to a busy roundabout and this stupid c*w nearly tail ended us because she was lighting up a cigarette, it makes me so bl**dy angry  >:( >:( >:(
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

ABERS

Watching the apples on my neighbour's and my own apple trees beong decimated by a large flock of Green Ringnecked Parakeets. The most annoying thing is they don't just take the odd apple, I wouldn't mind that, but they proceed to take a lump out of each apple in turn ruining the whole crop.

They may add some exotic flair to the garden but they are noisy green destructive bas*tards whose necks I would cheerfully 'wring'. >:(

picsfor

Quote from: ABERS on August 01, 2010, 07:21:44 AM
They may add some exotic flair to the garden but they are noisy green destructive bas*tards whose necks I would cheerfully 'wring'. >:(

Begs i get first dibs at getting the pictures of you wringing said birds necks  :o

Graham

Quote from: ABERS on August 01, 2010, 07:21:44 AM
Watching the apples on my neighbour's and my own apple trees beong decimated by a large flock of Green Ringnecked Parakeets. The most annoying thing is they don't just take the odd apple, I wouldn't mind that, but they proceed to take a lump out of each apple in turn ruining the whole crop.

We have two old apple trees in our garden and the birds tend to leave them alone. However the Blackbirds do like to get as Pi$$ed as F&£ts picking at the rotting windfalls. :beer:

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Hybridphotog

What's currently making my hair go grey(er)?

Prices for the Canon 50D are slowly creeping up. I started out with a price of £549 at Ffordes (sole secondhand body). It stayed at £549 at Cameraworld. It's currently £569 at somewhere called "Simply Electronics".

Friday can't come soon enough... for more than one reason.

picsfor

Quote from: Hybridphotog on August 02, 2010, 08:20:22 PM
It's currently £569 at somewhere called "Simply Electronics".

Let's put you out of your misery then...

Simply Electronics is not a place you wish to do business with. It was on the "to avoid" list when PR was still DCM and still in its youth!
I see Park Cameras have a used 50D on their books. Don't know the price - but if its in your range they're very good on delivery etc. Failing that i can drop it off to you when i visit Suffolk next weekend (not this weekend). Clacton's only an A133 diversion  :tup: (or is it A120?)

Hybridphotog

Quote from: picsfor on August 02, 2010, 08:46:51 PM
Let's put you out of your misery then...

Simply Electronics is not a place you wish to do business with. It was on the "to avoid" list when PR was still DCM and still in its youth!
I see Park Cameras have a used 50D on their books. Don't know the price - but if its in your range they're very good on delivery etc. Failing that i can drop it off to you when i visit Suffolk next weekend (not this weekend). Clacton's only an A133 diversion  :tup: (or is it A120?)
Thanks for the information. Do Park Cameras have something against listing their second-hand prices, or is it just that particular 50D that they can't/won't show a price online for?

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.