• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,407
  • Total Topics: 5,700
  • Online today: 30
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 30
  • Total: 30
millets
JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...Photography and Seasons.Favourite Photography Tec...Photography Challenges.What's your favourite pho...

I should be getting a new camera

Started by StephenBatey, June 24, 2017, 11:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenBatey

The Kickstarter campaign on behalf of a new 10x8 camera from Intrepid has just ended, with the target of £18,000 reached (12 minutes after the campaign opened apparently) and then slightly exceeded (by almost £200,000). I was one of the backers, so I should eventually get a camera and move up into a larger format than my current miniature 5x4.

I've gone for a reducing back as well, to let me use 5x4 film; the camera is lighter than my current 5x4, and has longer bellows. In the large format world, lenses don't have focusing mounts but rely on the camera's bellows. As infinity focus requires a lens/film plane distance equal to the focal length (except for telephoto and retrofocus lenses) the size of the bellows controls the longest lens you can fit. My 5x4 has 430mm bellows; the 10x8 should have 600mm. This isn't as much as it might seem as the standard lens for 5x4 is 150mm and for 10x8 300mm; so proportionally, the bellows are shorter.

Apologies for using this section to announce, but it's the closest fit. The Intrepid 10x8 does tick two of the four letters in that it's a single lens camera, although neither digital nor reflex. And I seem to be alone here in using film.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.