• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 111
  • Total: 111
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What made you feel good today

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

Quote from: ABERS on July 19, 2010, 10:43:19 PM
Now why am I not surprised that this would evoke a response from two people that do not live in the UK?

Because they don't have to fear the knock on the door!  :'(

ABERS

Don't they have Jehovah Witnesses over there then? ::)

Oldboy

jinky

Use of volunteers could expose a lot of myths. You see references to youth work and community involvement - that makes you laugh. In my last 8-10 years of youth work people would have been shocked if they had known what work we did. Forget those nice ideas of working with all kids and coaching them in football and going off to scouting type camps. Our workforce was so small - and I am talking Leeds here, a major city supposedly benefitting from this generous Labour over spending - that our stated emphasis was only the most needy young people causing most disruption. At one stage me and my two staff were working in a  senior youth club where we calculated 80% of the 28-30 attenders were heavily into drugs including heroin and our main "service partner" was the local doctor and a methodone support structure. I had my car done 3 times to fund local habits - the final insult being when they threw my music in the bushes as unsellable  :D Another myth thrown out - work with kids and they respect you and what you build / do together - reality drugs destroy. We had kids selling their parents household possessions when they were out of the house to meet habits.

I guess I am one of the "bureaucrats" who got out on an early pension. Don`t overestimate the size of council pensions though  unless you were in the upper 5% there`s a fair chance you`ll have to pick up another job or cut your cloth with the average council pension being around £5,500.

I like to think I was value for money when I worked and seemed to get some appreciation from man of the young people and later community groups I worked with. My working week included many, many unpaid evening and weekend stints, loss of out of pocket expenses as they just were not paid, personal loss ( no compensation for damage to vehicles) and occasional assaults when things went wrong including being shot at once when tackling fraud by a local volunteer group in one centre whose members were involved in local gun and drug crime. Not quite the easy bureaucratic role many seem to see as being public sector and certainly in my 25 years first in the youth service I saw volunteer numbers tumble from the one or two when times were good to nil when they saw who we were working with.

If some are taken in by Cameron`s shame faced stupid plans to disguise major cuts with a sudden yearning for community control then people in this country are indeed getting dumber and dumber.

hevans

Quote from: ABERS on July 19, 2010, 10:43:19 PM
Now why am I not surprised that this would evoke a response from two people that do not live in the UK?

Sorry mr abers, sir. Perhaps you would be so kind as to provide a comprehensive list of subjects that those of us living in exile might be awarded the privilege of comment?

One of the advantages of living abroad but making frequent trips home is the greater awareness of change, for good or better. Much like a relative that sees the changes in a child once a year notices the rate of growth and maturity more than the child's parents.

The other advantage is that we can also see how a different culture handles similar issues with a different manner, and compare and contrast the successes of the varying approaches.

But then, if our comments upset you, don't read them. 

nickt

I thought this thread was called 'what made you feel good today' :legit:

ABERS

Quote from: nickt on July 20, 2010, 11:28:54 PM
I thought this thread was called 'what made you feel good today' :legit:

It did make me feel good when I posted the original 'tongue in cheek, Pythonesque view' of Dave's brave new volunteer world, all meant in a lighthearted way.

However I tend to get a bit angry when I see my country ripped into by people who, for one reason or another, have decided not to live here. Of course they are entitled to their opinions, as I am of the countries where they live, but I would never have the temerity or ill manners to make them public.

The word yUK I find particularly offensive and insulting.

spinner

Finally got out for a ride on my new bicycle. Damn near killed me, but I did it. ;D Now going to go collapse in my cool basement and not come out til the sun goes down.  :-[
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Hinfrance

Didn't mean to upset you Abers.

The fact is though, like Hugh says, because we live somewhere else we can see what mess our beloved homeland has become. If I didn't care about England I wouldn't have bothered commenting.

Jinky, I know your usual council employee is not going to be retiring to the Bahamas, but if you have seen any of the thousands of jobs for idiotic positions at exotic salaries that councils have been advertising in the Grauniad, then you will know what I meant. I was also, for a brief period, a council employee - Gloucester City Council, Parks and Cemeteries - I dug graves and mowed the grass. I got paid more if the weather stopped me working than if I did what I was supposed to be paid for. The argument ran like this: 1) If it wasn't pouring down I would be able to work 2) If I were able to work I could earn my productivity bonus 3) So the weather stopped me from earning my maximum bonus 4) So if the working week was a write off because of the weather, I should be paid the maximum bonus, because the bad weather wasn't my fault. It was, of course, impossible to earn the bonus if the weather was good enough to work outdoors . . we used to pray for rain.

And, damn, we do have Jehovah's Witnesses - but they are ex-pats  ;) I shut the gates if I see them coming, if not I explain that I have got to find a virgin to sacrifice, can they help?

OK, so what made me smile today? I ordered some new headlights, and they arrived today. One of them was broken, so I emailed to parts company to tell them. They replied in less than 10 minutes to say that they were sending a replacement today. Then I asked them if I should mail the damaged unit back to them or hand it to the courrier to be returned to them. They replied instantly, throw it away.

Now this is France - customer service here usually consists of the vendor considering the buyer to be privileged to purchase from them, followed up by 'go away and stop bothering me' as after sales service.

Not only was this cash on delivery (receive and pay) where I had to confirm online that the goods were OK before my card is debited (it hasn't been because they weren't), but they are replacing without question.

Miracles may never cease . . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Hybridphotog

Wmmfgt?

I've (well, my solicitor has) finally reached a compensation agreement, regarding my injured elbow.

Let's just say, DMT and I will be splashing out. ;)

Jonathan

A magazine I've had on my list for a little while "happened" to see some of my underwater pics from yesterday.

Not only do they want to run a feature on the shoot, they have called me in for a portfolio review to talk about shooting a regular feature for them :D  There are a lot of steps between here and there and these things often fall apart.  But they called me ;)
It's Guest's round

Hybridphotog

Quote from: Jonathan on July 21, 2010, 05:48:03 PM
A magazine I've had on my list for a little while "happened" to see some of my underwater pics from yesterday.

Not only do they want to run a feature on the shoot, they have called me in for a portfolio review to talk about shooting a regular feature for them :D  There are a lot of steps between here and there and these things often fall apart.  But they called me ;)
Well done. :)

Graham

Quote from: Hybridphotog on July 21, 2010, 05:36:23 PM
Wmmfgt?

I've (well, my solicitor has) finally reached a compensation agreement, regarding my injured elbow.

Jeez, how long ago's that now!
                                                       Give my regards to DMT. I remember that pic she took of you and posted on the old dcm site. A wonderfully natural and joyous shot!
                                                                       All the best to you both.  Graham.

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: Hybridphotog on July 21, 2010, 05:36:23 PM
Wmmfgt?

So you managed to convince them it was nothing to do with the Absinthe. (BD will know what I mean)
RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Hybridphotog

Quote from: Graham on July 21, 2010, 06:22:13 PM
Jeez, how long ago's that now!
Too long, to be honest. It'll be three years, next month, which is the deadline the solicitors had to deal with. The figure's on the low side, but it's taken so long to reach an ideal amount, that pushing for "case law history minimum" would involve courts... and no guarantee about the outcome.
Give my regards to DMT.
Will do. :)
Quote from: Graham on July 21, 2010, 06:22:13 PMI remember that pic she took of you and posted on the old dcm site. A wonderfully natural and joyous shot!
When DCM finally croaked it, DMT and I lost a lot of memories. I'm still a bit narked off about the closure without warning, but... PR's another story, etc. ;)
All the best to you both.  Graham.
DMT will wish you the best as well, Graham. :)
Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on July 21, 2010, 06:30:16 PM
So you managed to convince them it was nothing to do with the Absinthe. (BD will know what I mean)
RR
Alf
Heh... I'm sure the solicitor laughed about how the injury first happened, and no doubt uttered "Wonder what you'd be like if you *were* drunk!" ;)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.