• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 29
  • Total: 29
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Help, getting error message on Nikon D80

Started by Andy Price, November 09, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Price

Please can anyone help, keep getting error message on my Nikon D80 and nothing works???????? :-[

Andy
Andy

Life is a series of pictures waiting to be taken.

Mick

Hi Andy.  What's the actual error message you're getting?
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Andy Price

Thanks for the reply,

On the top display next to the battery symbol getting (ISO Auto) Err flashing when depressing the focus/trigger button when Auto ISO selected and just get the Err flash when ISO set to manual.

Andy
Andy

Graham

Hi Andy.
                   Does it look like any of these?
                                                                                        http://www.richardpeters.co.uk/blog/2011/01/07/nikon-dslr-error-codes-what-do-they-mean/
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

Two things to try. It could be the lens if it has an Aperture ring, make sure the Aperture setting is on the highest number, like F22 then switch off the camera and back on, this might clear it. If it's not that, then take the lens off and put it back on incase it's a bad contact causing the problem.  :tup:

Andy Price

Thanks everyone for your replies, however it appears that there is a serious problem.
Changing lenses, recharging the battery, switching on and off, removing the battery for several hours all made no difference. The camera appears to have locked up.

Looks like I will have to get in touch with Nikon.

Regards
Andy
Andy

Graham

Quote from: Andy Price on November 09, 2011, 09:00:54 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies, however it appears that there is a serious problem.
Changing lenses, recharging the battery, switching on and off, removing the battery for several hours all made no difference. The camera appears to have locked up.

Looks like I will have to get in touch with Nikon.

Regards
Andy
OK. Don't panic, give Nikon a ring, have your camera to hand with a charged battery, preferably two, have 'tinterternet switched on, ask them to talk you through it.
   Let us know how you get on
                       Graham.  :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

One last thing to try is a reset. Press the Qual and exposure +/- together and hold down for two seconds to reset. If this doesn't work then try the reset button/hole under the base of the camera. Will need a small nail to press this reset button. If this still doesn't work then it's back to Nikon.  :'(

Andy Price

Thanks all

Have tried all that has been advised with no luck. it looks like its back to Nikon.

Regards
Andy
Andy

Jonathan

Good link to the error message site but the information on Err is wrong....

Err means "something is up".  The only way to clear it is press the shutter button somewhat harder than normal and hold it in until it clears (often you get a thunk too).

If it never comes back - you're fine.  If it appears again it's a job for Nikon.  The cameras contain a "black box" which Nikon can access to find out what caused the error.  For example, last time I had this it was the mirror box, previous time it was the shutter.
It's Guest's round

Jonathan

BTW, second hand D80s are changing hands for about £220.  Nikon charge about £75 + vat per hour labour.  Plus parts.
It's Guest's round

Beryl

Mine does this when I forget to put a card in and then nothing works
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

Jonathan

Quote from: Beryl on November 10, 2011, 03:18:27 PM
Mine does this when I forget to put a card in and then nothing works

Usually that's an -E- rather than an Err
It's Guest's round

Beryl

Ah yes. Your right. Sorry 

I get -E- if no card and CHR with every thing flashing and a 0 where the -E- would be ........If the card is right protected

A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

Alfonso_Frisk

My D200 made some funny shutter noises today then refused to fire. I then got the Err message and the low batteries icon.
I removed the card and batteries from the grip, put it all back together and the Err disappeared, but I then got low battery icon flashing again. (batteries ain't flat as i checked them on  my return home)
Put 1 fresh battery in the grip and all seemed to be OK. However that shutter noise
I heard is worrying me as to what it could have been or whats to come.
I'm hoping there has been an issue with the grip contacts rather than a cam malfunction.
I was shooting continuous mode at the time with a bigma attached.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.