• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 241
  • Total: 241
  • Google
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Another returning 'newbie'

Started by Andrew, November 05, 2013, 08:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

Hi All,

have taken a bit of sabatical from the world for a while, including photography. For those who know from previosly (Picsfor) hi, how's it going, and for those who have joined in my absence from this site - hello.

During that absence, I sold all of my kit (2 x 5D2, 5 L lenses, 3 Speedlites etc...) and replaced it with a single Fuji X-Pro 1 with the gorgeous 35mm f1.4 prime lens. Things have expanded to include an old Sunpak flash, a cheap but very portable Manfrotto tripod with cable release (i know  how cool is that, just wire with coverd in cloth  :tup: ) and a single filter - still as yet to be used.

The fun part is - I've got to start all over again, well pretty much, because much of what I had learned previously has gone - so if I ask a question that I've previously been known to answer - don't shoot me, as I'm having to learn it again  :uglystupid2:  I remember the part about the triangle of light when using aperture, shutter and ISO - but beyond that - it really will be fun making those mistakes again.

The one thing on my side this time is - i've done it once, so i'm fairly sure i can do it again - take a photo that is  :2funny:

Anyway, catch up with you all via the posts, competitions, and if our paths cross at any time.
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

ABERS

Andrew welcome back, if I can be of any help please let me know mate.

Cheers Alan.

DigiDiva

Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Oldboy

Welcome back Picsfor. Are you still driving the trains?  :tup:

jimthetrain

I pop back every now and then to browse but not posted anything now for a long time. When I saw this thread I had to Comment. I had heard on the grapevine (rumour line) that you were no longer with us in this world, so to hear that you're still alive and kicking has made my night. :dance: Going to have a happy beer now. Welcome back Andrew and welcome back me as well.  ::)
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

jinky

Welcome back. I reckon in another year or so I`ll be doing the same and offloading gear and getting whatever is the equivalent of the Xpro then or some other Fuji model if they are still delivering. have fun re-learning. ;)

Graham

Welcome home Andrew (And Jimthe.) If your going to downsize your gear, the XPro1 and 35 1.4 is the way to go. Love mine to bits, make sure you've got the latest firmware updates, they really make a difference.
                               Graham.  :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Beaux Reflets

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

Picsfor, I remember your name, but I don't think I was actively involved in those days.
Welcome back in your new guise as Andrew!

Goes for you too, Jim the train! Welcome back.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Alfonso_Frisk

Welcome back guys. :beer:
Its good to have a couple of talented photographers like yourselves back in the fold :tup:
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Andrew

Thank you all for your welcoming words.

Alan, i think you#ve seen one of the only pics i've posted in 2 years - of the tramp with his 'bag for life' - on Flickr. Shows how i was thinking that i just closed my Flickr account over that awful Yahoo toolbar!

As for driving trains - haven't done that in over 2 years now - my former employers and i have an agreement whereby we only say nice things about each other  :-X But to be honest, I was getting past my sell by date on the railway - it's hard to have a new line manager try and explain why they're a manager and you're 'only' a driver when it transpires you drove the trains they caught to school when they were just out of nappies and into shorts.

Reinarda - we met once last year, or the year before, with Irv and Carol (think that's her name, the lady from Frankfurt) on a little jaunt to Portobello Road one very wet Sunday.
Graham, most definitely loving the Fuji - really does make life easy just putting it in your pocket instead of lugging a huge bag around with a DSLR & ass kit, especially in the street.

My current work status is 'long term study of being 50 and unemployed' on behalf of the government. According to the job centres, government are not interested in getting me into work (you have to be under 27 to get government help) and if you're nearing a pensionable age - they'd rather concentrate on tht, as it saves the government money. Sounds cynical but you can quite believe it. I've been hearing th above mantra for 2 years now - and it can certainly knock you for six, as it did me - hence my sabbatical.

So, now is the time to get out there and remind myself what that button does on the top right of my camera, and what all those sliders do in Adobe Lightroom. Then, once i remember how to post a picture, we can all have a laugh at my efforts  :2funny:

Oh, and just round things off - i no longer have a car - it was destroyed 4 weeks ago in a 3 car pile up (mine was the middle car) and grandson had to be cut out by the fire brigade, so now i'm just on my bike or public transport - but that's not so bad, because a bike goes slow enough to see and stop for scenes that normally you would miss in a car at 60mph or a train at 125mph. I got the insurnce money, and where i live - i don't really need a car - so quids in  :tup: As for grandson, his being cut out was one of those 'technicalities' that is required under modern H&S requirements. The grandson is a fan of Fireman Sam and the Transformers - so for him it was like having his own personal production  :dance:

Well, time to get the washing up done and take the rubbish to the various bins (recycle, glass, compost etc) - i have my duties to do as laid down by Mrs B - she insists that unemployment only exists outside the front door - can't help thinking i've got this all wrong some how  ::)
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!

Hinfrance

Welcome back Andrew - sounds like you have been having an interesting time, especially recently.

I haven't quite go the 'sell everything' idea, but I've definitely got the 'don't bother buying anything else' habit. Well as far a photography goes, although I do seem to be redeveloping my addiction to pretty guitars and basses.

Looking forward to seeing your new pictures!
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Andrew, thank goodness your grandson was okay.

And erm ... you must be thinking of another blonde, as it wasn't me who went on the little jaunt in London.

Don't despair about finding work. A friend of mine had been on the dole for four years and, at 59, found work earlier this year. Only part time, mind you, but he is thrilled to bits not to have to jump through all the hoops to get his benefits, but to earn his money.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Andrew

Quote from: Reinardina on November 06, 2013, 03:57:10 PM
Andrew, thank goodness your grandson was okay.

And erm ... you must be thinking of another blonde, as it wasn't me who went on the little jaunt in London.

Don't despair about finding work. A friend of mine had been on the dole for four years and, at 59, found work earlier this year. Only part time, mind you, but he is thrilled to bits not to have to jump through all the hoops to get his benefits, but to earn his money.

ah well, shows how my memory is still on its sabatical  :doh: Thanks for the pick me up on work. As things stand, I'm no longer bothered one way or the other.

I realised that as a boy, when i grew up i wanted to be a soldier, fighter pilot, astronaut or express train driver - i've spent almost 30 years driving all sorts of train over most of England including many Express Trains. I also got chosen to undertake quite a lot of 'special workings' for which i have personal memories, but for many others were 2 page spreads in magazines or newspapers. So if i never work again - i have no room to complain - how many boys grew up to achieve what i have?

I have my health, my wife, my daughters and grandchildren and other family. I have some amazing experiences from travel - so i'm just gonna let things happen and see where it takes me. Gives me time to learn how to use Wordpress (a blog can be enlightening and therapeutic i'm told), capture a photo and join in some forums. Probably won't travel much further than London but again, i've in Suffolk - the home of Snape Maltings, Felixstowe Dock, Bury St Edmunds (the founding home of the Magna Carter, not where it was signed & Newmarket  :)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.