• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 40
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 31
  • Total: 31
  • Baidu
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

It had to happen sometime!  :o

It sounds like a contradiction in terms, but scientists have created "dry water".
The substance resembles powdered sugar and is expected to make a big commercial splash.
Each particle of dry water contains a water droplet surrounded by a sandy silica coating. In fact, 95% of dry water is "wet" water.  :doh:

Graham

Quote from: Oldboy on August 25, 2010, 10:55:22 PM
It had to happen sometime!  :o

It sounds like a contradiction in terms, but scientists have created "dry water".
The substance resembles powdered sugar and is expected to make a big commercial splash.
Each particle of dry water contains a water droplet surrounded by a sandy silica coating. In fact, 95% of dry water is "wet" water.  :doh:

Brilliant idea! Just stock up untill there's a drought and then just dilute it with...Oh hang on...forget that.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

Quote from: Graham on August 26, 2010, 05:47:43 AM
           Brilliant idea! Just stock up untill there's a drought and then just dilute it with...Oh hang on...forget that.

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

picsfor

spinner

I've been having ongoing issues with a company in Alpine Utah. Guy took my camera and money and promised an IR conversion. That was 6 months ago. Was very chatty email wise up until he got my money. Since then he won't respond to my inquiries. Filed a complaint with the UTAH Better Business bureau. Today they sent an email saying they're closing the file because he won't respond to them either. So I went and Googled Alpine Utah. Their local police don't have a web site, so I went to the Town's web site where I found a message from their Mayor dated fall 2007. I guess I won't get satisfaction from this Mickey Mouse operation.   ???>:( :(
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

ABERS

Read this yesterday...

'The papers they read were filled with vague and alarming accounts of the quantities of foreign merchandise imported into this country, the enormous number of aliens constantly arriving and their destitute conditions, how they lived, the crimes they committed, and the injury they did to British trade. These were the seeds which, cunningly sown in their minds, caused to grow up within them a bitter undiscriminating hatred of foreigners.'

.... in a book that I've been promising myself to read for ages, 'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists'  by Robert Tressell. It describes the attitudes of a group of workers, painters and decorators, and their conversations during their lunch break.

Written in 1906!

Cabbyjohn

in a book that I've been promising myself to read for ages, 'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists'  by Robert Tressell. It describes the attitudes of a group of workers, painters and decorators, and their conversations during their lunch break.

Written in 1906!

I first read the R T Ps over 50 years ago, and I have read it a number of times since, One of my favourite quotes was when the "Hero" Barrington  stated, " If this government  could remove all of the oxygen from the atmosphere,  store it in giant gasometers and issue us all with back packs and charge us to breathe. They would".  I think that we are heading that way. (Grin)

anglefire

I watched a repeat of Yes Prime Minister Yesterday. It is just so relevant today, you have to laugh, else you'd cry.  :D
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

After the furore of the woman dumping the cat in the bin, here the cat gets his revenge.  :2funny: :2funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYyI51a463E&feature=player_embedded

hevans

Quote from: anglefire on August 27, 2010, 01:27:21 PM
I watched a repeat of Yes Prime Minister Yesterday. It is just so relevant today, you have to laugh, else you'd cry.  :D

That show never stops being relevant. It's repeated in Whitehall every business day (there are about 12 per year at the current count) regardless of the state of government.

H.

jinky

Last night really.
Balloon Flights for pressies! My wonderful daughters bought me one for my birthday in July. I booked the first available flight in the North near me last night - 7 weeks after getting the pressie. I read of people making 10-11 attempts to fly so was smug when I got the go ahead when dealing a lengthy premium rate phone number to confirm in the afternoon. Turned up on site - blue skies and barely a breath of wind. Thought it odd he set up towards the woods at the bottom of the field rather than top end but he`s the expert. With 7 others I helped unfurl the shoot, tether the basket and start to inflate with the fan getting the heavy job of being the two man anchor to hold balloon steady when the burner was set off. Waited and nothing happened. After an hour of preparation the pilot decided to advise and incredulous group that it was too dangerous to fly as such wind as there was (not enough to blow a grass blade on dropping one!) would take us into a nearby tree before the burner took us high enough. So on one of the stillest days in Yorkshire I have seen for months no go and next available booking is 18th October before their season ends in early November. We then had to spend an hour packing up said balloon and lifting it and the basket into the truck. As a watching mate said the basic idea would not have got through Dragon`s Den.
"So your business is to charge everyone £100, get them to unpack / lift and inflate the balloon, maybe - maybe not get a flight after following travel advice and getting to the site and then another hour`s hard labour packing up go away. You`ll also charge premium rate calls for information on flight plans which are not to be relied on and have interminable speech and options. In his words " I`m out - it will never take off"  :)

Ah well - might get some pics in October. The good thing is that I have leaned not to take my D700 with me next time.  was amazed that in this age of scientificwonders  would be hanging in a glorified wicker picnic basket with a piece of thin black rubber for padding and two rope handholds to grab with instruction to lay my camera on the floor as we prepared to land.It`s the compact or the back up D80 next time.

rksmith51

Paul, I had a similar experience trying to get a flight in a tiger moth, traveling from Edinburgh to yourkshire twice only to be let down, I got a refund in the end.
I feel your frustration mate  ::)

Bob
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

CML-1591

I don't think I like the 5D Mrk II LCD
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

SimonW

I was given a balloon flight for my 60th birthday and flew locally (Scotland) at the third booking. I agree cancellations are frustrating (and on my first attempt conditions also appeared perfect). But it is well worth it, the experience is magic. Don't spend all the air time on photography (though you'll be tempted to take hundreds of shots) but enjoy the peace and quiet of the flight for its own sake.

I had a second trip, this time while on holiday in Egypt. There must have been at least 30 balloons flying every morning from that one site, doing two trips each before conditions got too rough. Magic again all the same.

For landing I recommend you put your camera in a well padded case with the strap round your neck and one arm so it can't swing far. Not loose on the floor.  You can't take photos of the actual bump, your head should be below the top of the basket at the time.

Enjoy the trip when it comes.  Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on September 01, 2010, 10:48:40 AM
Last night really.
Balloon Flights for pressies! My wonderful daughters bought me one for my birthday in July. I booked the first available flight in the North near me last night - 7 weeks after getting the pressie. I read of people making 10-11 attempts to fly so was smug when I got the go ahead when dealing a lengthy premium rate phone number to confirm in the afternoon. Turned up on site - blue skies and barely a breath of wind. Thought it odd he set up towards the woods at the bottom of the field rather than top end but he`s the expert. With 7 others I helped unfurl the shoot, tether the basket and start to inflate with the fan getting the heavy job of being the two man anchor to hold balloon steady when the burner was set off. Waited and nothing happened. After an hour of preparation the pilot decided to advise and incredulous group that it was too dangerous to fly as such wind as there was (not enough to blow a grass blade on dropping one!) would take us into a nearby tree before the burner took us high enough. So on one of the stillest days in Yorkshire I have seen for months no go and next available booking is 18th October before their season ends in early November. We then had to spend an hour packing up said balloon and lifting it and the basket into the truck. As a watching mate said the basic idea would not have got through Dragon`s Den.
"So your business is to charge everyone £100, get them to unpack / lift and inflate the balloon, maybe - maybe not get a flight after following travel advice and getting to the site and then another hour`s hard labour packing up go away. You`ll also charge premium rate calls for information on flight plans which are not to be relied on and have interminable speech and options. In his words " I`m out - it will never take off"  :)

Ah well - might get some pics in October. The good thing is that I have leaned not to take my D700 with me next time.  was amazed that in this age of scientificwonders  would be hanging in a glorified wicker picnic basket with a piece of thin black rubber for padding and two rope handholds to grab with instruction to lay my camera on the floor as we prepared to land.It`s the compact or the back up D80 next time.

Sounds like breach of contract to me. I think you should sue him for out of pocket expenses plus the cost of the flight.  :(

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.