• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 274
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 283
  • Total: 283
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

I stopped using 3rd party AVs a long time ago. They just screwed up everyday use of the PC, either by knackering legitimate applications or simply making it run like treacle flowing up hill on a cold day. Maybe that's why I have had only minor niggles with MS operating systems over the years. As an aside, my sister-in-law has a 27" Mac, and that had slowed to the point of almost being useless because of OS and application upgrades over time, she had to go back to square one with that to get it usable again. Tech eh? Who'd have it?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on April 22, 2017, 03:43:25 PM
I stopped using 3rd party AVs a long time ago. They just screwed up everyday use of the PC, either by knackering legitimate applications or simply making it run like treacle flowing up hill on a cold day. Maybe that's why I have had only minor niggles with MS operating systems over the years. As an aside, my sister-in-law has a 27" Mac, and that had slowed to the point of almost being useless because of OS and application upgrades over time, she had to go back to square one with that to get it usable again. Tech eh? Who'd have it?

Rest assured I will get rid of them total if it is possible, when I finally get Windows10 back working again. And I will never buy a Acer laptop again as this is the 2nd or third time it has crashed in the booting up processing area; the PC came with a Third party antivirus installed and the Recovery backup section has faulted & failed each time.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

Good luck getting it going again. I'm using Mrs H's old Acer laptop as my mostly non DAW music computer - I've got all my modelling amplifier presets on it. And Reaper for occasional sequencing. It still runs OK with  W10. It's been repurposed 😀
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

StephenBatey

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on April 22, 2017, 04:48:13 PM
And I will never buy a Acer laptop again as this is the 2nd or third time it has crashed in the booting up processing area;

Perhaps the name should have told you something - "acer" in Latin means irritating or bitter. Our word "acrid" is derived from it.  ;D :legit:
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: StephenBatey on April 22, 2017, 10:14:40 PM
Quote from: Beaux Reflets on April 22, 2017, 04:48:13 PM
And I will never buy a Acer laptop again as this is the 2nd or third time it has crashed in the booting up processing area;

Perhaps the name should have told you something - "acer" in Latin mean irritating or bitter. Our word "acrid" is derived from it.  ;D :legit:

Irritating to say the least  :knuppel2: into 3rd day now without being able to process images from camera as I usually can  >:(

Anyone heard from Reinardina yet? I hope she is OK

anglefire

I've been using Eset antivirus for sometime and it is very very good - and their support is excellent as well - and don't just fob you off it is turns out to be something else, they will sort you out if they can!

I have a Apple laptop that is painfully slow - though I think I might have gone back to a previous OS as upgrading it slowed it to unusable - same problem with a Nexus tablet - but I can't seem to roll that back, so its on light duties now!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: anglefire on April 23, 2017, 10:53:09 AM
I've been using Eset antivirus for sometime and it is very very good - and their support is excellent as well - and don't just fob you off it is turns out to be something else, they will sort you out if they can!

I have a Apple laptop that is painfully slow - though I think I might have gone back to a previous OS as upgrading it slowed it to unusable - same problem with a Nexus tablet - but I can't seem to roll that back, so its on light duties now!

Microsoft help desk implied that lots of third party Antivirus software programs were causing conflicts that multiply unhindered behind the scenes, and in my case it appears the disruption is within the booting up of Windows 10 . There was no warning ......... just hope they can reinstate it.

Mick

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on April 23, 2017, 11:06:49 AM

Microsoft help desk implied that lots of third party Antivirus software programs were causing conflicts that multiply unhindered behind the scenes, and in my case it appears the disruption is within the booting up of Windows 10 . There was no warning ......... just hope they can reinstate it.

Doesn't sound good Andy.  I'm still using a Norton internet security, which I have to say it's not without its glitches, but seems to work nicely for me.  But are we now at a stage where Microsoft's own built in security no longer requires third party security software?
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Mick on April 23, 2017, 12:04:53 PM

Doesn't sound good Andy.  I'm still using a Norton internet security, which I have to say it's not without its glitches, but seems to work nicely for me.  But are we now at a stage where Microsoft's own built in security no longer requires third party security software?

That is exactly where we are in my interpretation of the conversation. The lady I spoke with gave the clear impression that Microsoft's Windows 10 is now a self healing all in One package. And third party software was the biggest problem, due to the conflict / corruption of data it imposes upon the Window 10 processing / operating system. It may also be that viruses are effectively cloning or mirroring third party antivirus script/data, and according go undetected by the third party antivirus and Windows defender until it becomes to late!

jinky

I use the free Avira Connect which had good reviews when I bought my new pc and it seems to hasve been running fine without incident / viruses. I`d read in the same review that windows defender scored very low. had anyone that is having problems been using Avira?

Oldboy

I use McAfee which is now owned by Intel. As Intel works closely with Microsoft, with low level code access, I don't think you should have problems with McAfee. I've never had a problem with this AV, and even when I used both Microsoft Defender and McAfee together then, I didn't have any problems either.  :tup:

StephenBatey

I always look on the gloomy side. If there is only one target for hackers to crack, they are more likely to succeed. It must take more work to find the loopholes in four or five antivirus programs than just one, so it ought to be easier to produce viruses if there is only one program to defeat. Microsoft have never had a good reputation for writing error free code, and I suspect that modern software development methods are more prone to easily found errors.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Alfonso_Frisk

I found McAfee very hungry on resource the same as Norton. Both were a pain as well to uninstall.
In the past I have used most of the freebies for years and in the main had few issues.
For the past 4 years I have been using Bullguard which has proved very good and easy to use. Their support team are quick and very helpful as well.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Paul Montgomery

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on April 23, 2017, 01:26:43 PM
Quote from: Mick on April 23, 2017, 12:04:53 PM

That is exactly where we are in my interpretation of the conversation. The lady I spoke with gave the clear impression that Microsoft's Windows 10 is now a self healing all in One package. And third party software was the biggest problem, due to the conflict / corruption of data it imposes upon the Window 10 processing / operating system. It may also be that viruses are effectively cloning or mirroring third party antivirus script/data, and according go undetected by the third party antivirus and Windows defender until it becomes to late!

As the saying goes, they would say that wouldn't they. I'll admit that my experience with Win10 is very limited, but the bigger the target, the more people will go for it. The only machine in my house without a virus checker on it is my raspberry PI - just because I don't use it for anything critical and I can always bin the memory card if it all goes horribly wrong...

anglefire

Got a problem with one of my NAS drives - I can get into it via the web admin page and FTP, but can't get in as a windows share  - I get this error "the local security authority database contains an internal inconsistency" - same on two computers so don't think it is the windows boxes, but the NAS.

Now, having just rebooted it, it is now working - but still not sure if I should be concerned or not !
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.