What annoyed you today?Poll for PUBLIC ARTBIRDS: Weekly comp CHAT 1...BIRDS: Weekly Comp ENTRY ...What made you feel good t...Still here !!Poll - Up Close and Perso...PUBLIC ART - ENTRIES 2-9/...PUBLIC ART CHAT - 2-9/07/...UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL ENT...POLL-Summer Pastimes 18-2...UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL CH...What bemused you today?Full Colour PollCHAT - SUMMER PASTIMES 1...ENTRIES - SUMMER PASTIME...

Author Topic: Windows 10 Creators Edition - Nightlight  (Read 713 times)

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
Windows 10 Creators Edition - Nightlight
« on: May 10, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »
The latest Windows 10 (called the Creators edition) has just forced itself onto my PC without my consent, and installed a vast number of "improvements". Actually it seems rather good, though I'll never play with most of the new toys.

It has a thing called nightlight which  claims to change the colour temperature of the monitor between daytime and nighttime. It appears that you can set the temperatures you want, or just turn it off (thank goodness). But how useful is that for photo editing? Could it be an easy way of matching the monitor colours to a printer - and if so, exactly how, or is it just one more way to really screw things up?

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
Re: Windows 10 Creators Edition - Nightlight
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 06:49:57 PM »
Knew nothing about the nightlight - and as my main monitor is a calibrated one, then I've turned that off!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »
Been waiting for it to apply this update on my PC's for a while now, so far I've escaped it.  :) 
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline StephenBatey

• Old but still developing - in Rodinal
    • stephenbatey/
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 11:34:33 PM »
Mick, I read somewhere that MIcrosoft were staggering the updates to target the most recent PCs first - presumably they have the best chance of not being rendered inoperable by the first escape of the software - so I assume that your's isn't a very new computer.

How do you know if the update has struck? I have a year old laptop that spent the best part of a day on Tuesday downloading Windows updates before spending a few hours rebooting itself.

Offline Alfonso_Frisk

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007/
    • My Shipping images
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 08:11:48 AM »
Jeez, I hope I am back of the queue for this update.
Getting pished off with all these changes and so called "improvements" of W10.
On Thursday my lap top also spent hours doing updates and reboots and I assume these must be in prep for this "new" version.
They also keep trying to install updates for office which I do not have and then giving me errors of update failures for it.
For me W10 is getting close to being the crapiest system released. Not quite as bad as vista yet, but coming close.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 04:35:45 PM »
I must be your anti-matter Windows user. We still have an old desktop running Vista that has never missed a beat, and I really like Windows 10, although it is sometime a little flaky on our really old spare laptop at times, but all I use that for now is to run a DAW and amplifier software. Sorry ;)

And on the anti-matter subject, for me XP was a total disaster . . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 05:45:06 PM »
Mick, I read somewhere that MIcrosoft were staggering the updates to target the most recent PCs first - presumably they have the best chance of not being rendered inoperable by the first escape of the software - so I assume that your's isn't a very new computer.

How do you know if the update has struck? I have a year old laptop that spent the best part of a day on Tuesday downloading Windows updates before spending a few hours rebooting itself.

Thanks, yep I gathered it would be staggered, but didn't realise the reason was based on age of machine, thought it was for load on system etc. I learn something new every day. ;)

If your machine is currently running version 1607 then you haven't got it yet.  Start > Settings > System > About.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline jinky

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 05:50:48 PM »
I`m on a relatively new machine still on 1607 but have to say that I have had no problems at all with Windows 10 (touch wood). It came installed on this machine and whilst I found a hack to switch off auto updates I didn`t bother doing it in the end as I trust Microsoft more than I trust myself with a PC. Hated Vista, loved XP and Windows 7.

Offline anglefire

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 07:33:41 PM »
I like w10. One of the best out there. I have been using server 2016 on a job as well and that seems very good and is very much like w10. 
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Simple

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 07:54:18 PM »
This is all very topical for me. Coming back from Holiday, switching on the PC and it upgrades to something new. It all looks the same, but I now have Windows EDGE instead of chrome or explorer. No big deal, but I am unable to run Java scripts, even after Googling and performing all the stupid things they recommend. I have normally no problems, but now I am getting rather annoyed.

Offline anglefire

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 08:07:26 PM »
You do have explorer - you can find it on Edge by clicking on the 3 buttons on the task bar at the top right and is an option to open in IE. :)

Chrome has disabled Java for sometime - but IE works ok with it still, not sure about edge as I don't use it. (at the moment, if the speed is what is claimed and I can find the imported favourites, I might switch!)
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Simple

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 11:04:46 PM »
 :D Works, happy for now, Thanks for that.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 10:16:35 AM »
And on the anti-matter subject, for me XP was a total disaster . . .

And for the NHS as well, by the looks of it. Actually unfair, it's because of the numpties who work there - MS have stated publicly that the vulnerability had been patched through standard updates, but someone wasn't running them it would seem.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 412398/3687 Oldboy Last post July 22, 2017, 05:50:55 PM
xx Poll for PUBLIC ART International Weekly Comp Entries 309/5 jinky Last post July 21, 2017, 09:37:45 AM
xx BIRDS: Weekly comp CHAT 15-23/07/17 International Weekly Comp Entries 357/9 Oldboy Last post July 21, 2017, 08:05:27 AM
xx BIRDS: Weekly Comp ENTRY Thread 15-23/07/17 International Weekly Comp Entries 187/4 anglefire Last post July 21, 2017, 07:03:02 AM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 399935/3724 David Blandford Last post July 20, 2017, 06:01:17 PM
xx Still here !! General Discussion 84/0 David Blandford Last post July 16, 2017, 12:13:33 PM
xx Poll - Up Close and Personal International Weekly Comp Entries 622/14 jinky Last post July 16, 2017, 10:29:10 AM
xx PUBLIC ART - ENTRIES 2-9/07/17 International Weekly Comp Entries 336/5 Oldboy Last post July 10, 2017, 06:52:30 PM