• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 110
  • Total: 110
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Drones??

Started by Jediboy, June 22, 2017, 10:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jediboy

Hi,

Does anyone here have any experience of drones? Ideally one that will take a Go Pro to record. I know GoPro have their own but I'm looking for something cheaper. I am making a video for my work, using my DSLR and GoPro but want to grab some aerial video so thought a drone would be good.
Thanks
Chris
May the Force be with you.

Chris

justinyoung

I have such experience. What exactly do you need?
Hello to everybody here!

Jediboy

This is pause at the moment. Still interested but other things are a bit more pressing at the moment.

Chris

Hinfrance

I've got my eye on a Xiaomi 4k machine, but the import duties on the last thing I bought from outside the EU we horrific, 40% on top.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jediboy

That sounds excessive.
I am still interested but its going to have to wait until after Christmas.
A friend has just purchased a Mavic Pro and the footage does look very good but its £1000! Maybe I will have a look in the sales.

Chris

Hinfrance

A friend of mine has a Mavic Pro too - as you say jolly pricey, but everso good and very portable. Easy to fly, but they are noisy. Apart from the eye watering cost, the only potential issue is that the camera and gimbal are not user replaceable. That means that if you were unlucky enough to damage either of them you are into a world of pain.

The Xiaomi is about £500 on Amazon, but there is also a much cheaper 1080p model, an Aosenma CG035 which is about $150 on Bangood, and so won't attract any import duty. I think I might get the cheap drone an a 4x10 bass cabinet :)

Forgot to mention DJI Phantom 3s are a lot cheaper now that the 4 is out. That should carry your GoPro.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jediboy

£429 at Argos. That's not too bad.
The Xiaomi looks good too and not stupid money. I'm still making a work video and the drone would be great for some of the bits I have in mind.

Chris

Jediboy

I received a Star Wars X-Wing fighter drone for Christmas. Its loads of fun but is a toy really and therefore limited, and no camera!!

A friend has a Mavic Pro which I have now seen in action and its very impressive. But he paid £1300 and I can't justify that so have been looking at the Spark again. Reading up on it it looks like it will be well suited to my needs.
So keeping an eye out now for a bargain. But still also considering the BUGS drone which looks good for under £80.https://www.amazon.co.uk/DROCON-High-Speed-Quadcopter-Brushless-15-Minutes/dp/B073XHK9K6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514546378&sr=8-2&keywords=bugs+drone

Chris

Hinfrance

The good news, the camera wasn't on it; bad news, my drone went on an adventure all on its own. Controls were ignored and neither the 'return to home' nor auto return to home out of range or with low battery operated. It was in GPS mode with 14 satellites locked. No idea where it's gone. Last seen heading south east at, according to the remote control display, 55 metres up and 8 metres per second.

I've narrowed down a replacement choice to between a Mavic Air (most expensive option, but rather lovely), a Xiaomi 4k (long range, modular but quite big), and an Upair One plus 4k (cheapest but still has 3 axis gimbal). Lots of sleeping on it required. I can just about afford any one of them, but which one?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Hinfrance

Well, I've gone and done it. A Mavic Air in Onyx black is on it's way. Amazon finally caved in to all my clicking on things and suddenly the price dropped by more than €50 for the black version - I was going to get red or white, but a discount is a discount and I really don't care that much. With the unexpected bonus I bought a hard case, a 64gb card and a foldable landing pad (on account of it having short legs).

I decided against the 'fly more' package as I didn't like the bag that comes with it, and although the extra charger holds more than one battery it only charges one at a time. I'll buy an extra battery when I have had a bit more experience with it.

I'm so excited I think I'll go and mow the lawn.  :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Jediboy

Very nice too H. You won't be disappointed with that. Looks like a very nice bit of kit. Interested to see how you're well get on with it. And glad to see you're rewarding yourself well.
I'm still waiting for the Typhoon this come back into stock where I found it at a good price. It's an oldish drone so hopefully will come back into stock.

Good luck with the Mavic Air when you get flying it.

Chris

Hinfrance

Quote from: Jediboy on April 23, 2018, 01:01:52 PM
Very nice too H. You won't be disappointed with that. Looks like a very nice bit of kit. Interested to see how you're well get on with it. And glad to see you're rewarding yourself well.
I'm still waiting for the Typhoon this come back into stock where I found it at a good price. It's an oldish drone so hopefully will come back into stock.

Good luck with the Mavic Air when you get flying it.

Should be here by the weekend. Any idea how long you will have to wait for your Yuneeq?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Jediboy

No idea. The company are not sure when they will get it back in stock. Its available elsewhere but for quite a bit more money so was happy to wait.

Chris

Hinfrance

Fingers crossed they get it back in stock soon - can't wait to see the footage and stills from it.

Looks like mine will arrive just in time for the weather to change for the worse - but I have ordered two extra batteries - it was cheaper to get them from DJI France than Amazon, and I know I'll be getting genuine batteries - there seems to be some doubt as to the precise provenance of the ones from Amazon marketplace (no surprise there), and they're up to €20 more each.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.