• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 159
  • Total: 159
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Big Stoppa Filter

Started by Andrew, November 18, 2013, 09:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

I recently acquired one of those 'big stoppa' (ND10) filters wit which to experiment - i do like the pearlescent water or blurred cloud look that is gaine by attaching a piece of welding glass to the lens.

My thought though is this - i've always been given to believe that when using such a filter you have to manually focus then slide filter into place and hold remote release for a substantial numbers of seconds (usually enough to make a cup of tea).

Well, tested mine out and was somewhat amazed to discover that the camera could actually focus right through this piece of commercially produced welding glass, and i didn't have time to make the cup of tea - 15-20 seconds seeming to be as long as i need  :-\

Has any one any experience of using these filters and can you enlighten me on your usage in relation to my expectations and experience...
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Jediboy

That's interesting. I've never tried focussing through my filter. I always focus then attach the filter.
I will definately try your method.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

donoreo

I have done both.  In bright light my 10 stop will allow me to focus through it. 

Andrew

Quote from: donoreo on November 19, 2013, 05:35:54 PM
I have done both.  In bright light my 10 stop will allow me to focus through it.

that may explain it then - more 'sunnier' days give the extra light to allow the AF to work as designed. I think my test day was getting near the end of daylight and probably had low sun which often producers that much brighter light.

Waiting for the weather to be a bit more suitable for those wonderfuls effects this filter can produce - but clear skies and water at either low or high tide is not really dooing it  :-\
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.