• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 138
  • Total: 138
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Flickering monitor

Started by jinky, May 14, 2014, 10:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

After more than 3 years of faultless operation I am starting to get a flickering on my Dell 2310 LCD screen. I`ve tried the obvious of disconnecting / reconnecting cables. I`ve looked in the control panel at the refresh rate which is 60 and says is the required rate and the only available other figures are lower than 60 "which may damage the monitor". Currently running a Dell PC diagnostic programme  to see if it brings anything up. There are 2 small speakers either side of the monitor for sound  but they have never caused a problem before so not sure why they would be significant suddenly.

It`s only a mild slightly annoying flicker just now but wondering if anyone knows how I can resolve  :-\

Hinfrance

It might not be the monitor, it might be your video card. Is there another PC or laptop in the house you can connect the monitor to to make sure that it is actually the screen and not something else? Preferably with a lead other than the one you are using normally.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

donoreo

Two choices: monitor or card in computer.  From there is depends.  If it is the monitor it is probably the backlighting that is going or the power supply for the back lighting.  Plug it into another computer to see if it is the video card in the computer.  If you get the same thing it is the monitor.  The bad news, you will probably not find anyone to repair it.

Beaux Reflets

A bit of dust inside monitor bridging a circut or perhaps more likely, a loose connection on video card (they can work loose with the tiny vibrations in operation, and or when thumped during house cleaning wth the feather duster)
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

jinky

Thanks all - will have to give it a try with a netbook or laptop and see what happens. It never gets moved and I never dust around it - probably the problem but I am scared to open it up and check and noidea how to put in or even know which video card to buy if it`s that. I`ve only got the one lead but have a spare screen from my old computer upstairs so I`ll have a play when I have time.

Andrew

you could always use a hair dryer on cold air setting and point into vents - that is what we used to do to clear out dust without taking the back off or shaking.

Conversely, you could use a vacumm cleaner with tight nozzle to try and extract via vents...
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Hinfrance

Quote from: jinky on May 14, 2014, 05:41:24 PM
Thanks all - will have to give it a try with a netbook or laptop and see what happens. It never gets moved and I never dust around it - probably the problem but I am scared to open it up and check and noidea how to put in or even know which video card to buy if it`s that. I`ve only got the one lead but have a spare screen from my old computer upstairs so I`ll have a play when I have time.

Dust will do it, pretty much every time. Fingers crossed I seem to have got my homebuild sorted now - jolly good clean inside and redoing all of the connectors - looks like it might have been the main connection to the motherboard not seated properly  - in other words my own fault.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

Well I tried the monitor on a netbook and still the same flickering. Then today I fired up and the whole screen was much dimmer and hard to see the cursor and impossible to edit on. I`ve dug out my old Medio square LCD that must be 17 ins diagonal max compared to my 23 inch Dell and whilst so disappointing in size at least it works properly with no flicker. At least I`ll be able to edit my weekend family shoot until I get a new one.

Now can anyone recommend the best screen to buy? It`s to go with a windows 7 machine though I am guessing it doesn`t matter as this one I am using went with XP and older.
This one looks a good deal:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/monitors-and-projectors/pc-monitors/philips-227e4lhab-full-hd-21-5-led-monitor-21853516-pdt.html?srcid=3&cmpid=comp~Pricerunner~Computing~21853516

Reviews talk of poor sound but I have a decent set of speakers attached to pc anyway.

Or is this one better:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/monitor-projectors/pc-monitors/acer-s236hltmjj-23-full-hd-ips-led-monitor-with-mhl-21313401-pdt.html

What do I look for for the best - I am using it primarily for editing, emails/ word processing etc and the odd game - just a golf game I have become addicted to  :)

Any advice welcome as I need to move fast and buy for the weekend as this square screen is not for me anymore!
I seem to remember it is contrast ratios you are looking for but don`t know what is native and what is dynamic which only the latter gives figures for.

jinky

Meant to say I am not wanting a high end one - under £200 or even £150 is fine if it does the job. I remember oldboy talking highly of Samsung I think. I won`t be going Dell again.

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on May 15, 2014, 09:42:29 PM
Meant to say I am not wanting a high end one - under £200 or even £150 is fine if it does the job. I remember oldboy talking highly of Samsung I think. I won`t be going Dell again.

Yes, I using a samsung now to read and reply to this question. http://www.dabs.com/category/computing,desktops-and-monitors,monitors/11109-50429  :tup:

2Beers

I  am looking at getting one of these for about £220 only trouble is its from Korea

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120984272351?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Hinfrance

I had an email from eBuyer the other day - they had 23" Acers on sale for £119.99 with free delivery.

Oddly, monitors are one of the components that are really much more expensive here than in the UK.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

jinky

Thanks again all - I`ll check them out. One more question - connection leads.
I`ve always used what comes with the monitor which I think  is a VGA connector - 3 rows of 5 pins. Always worked fine for what I do. I`m reading that I should connect with a DVI adaptor. The Dell computer handbook I have says  I have "integrated video connectors and to connect using either the integrated HDMI or DVI connector "- yet I am sure came with the VGA one I described. It talks of being able to buy a DVI- VGA adaptor.The monitors I am looking at say they have vga and dvi interfaces and makes no mention of coming with a cable. 1 reviewer has said it does  not come with an HDMI cable in one instance but evidently don`t need that unless using blueray.

Is there a real difference - should I be choosing a dvi over VGA? One monitor I am looking at only comes with an HDMI cable - but I don`t seem to have an HDMI port on my pc. Looking at the back of the old monitor and pc there is another input with 3 rows of 8 pin receivers and a side bank of 4 which I assume is a DVI cable. Help!

The irony is not lost on me that in the week I posting a weekly comp  picture of potentially working old monitors dumped at the tip mine breaks down! ;D

Hinfrance

Older monitors have VGA connections. More recent ones tend to be DVI and HDMI. Ditto the video cards. Ignore HDMI for your purposes.

I have a 23 HP monitor with VGA only input running off of a DVI out from the video card (which does not have a VGA output), through an adaptor plug that came with the card. I bought a spare one from eBay for about £1, and now have that plugged into what is now my spare PC in the same way (I pinched my daughter's desktop because she never even turns it on).

FWIW, I have found that the biggest gain in image quality comes not from the monitor but from the video card. Both the Radeon 7000 (which packed up just out of guarantee) and the replacement NVidia GT660 have vastly improved sharpness and clarity on the same monitor compared to my old lower spec'd video card. Chalk and cheese - the difference is huge.

As for leads, I'm sure that you can acquire whatever you need from just about any tech supply source.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

jinky

I might just keep with the VGA. May be daft question but is the video card only likely to be connected to one output - the vga in my case as it has been working. If I bought a dvi lead for the dvi connectors mention ed on monitor and existing on my pc rear panel would it also be connected to the video card or would I have to do something. I`m wary of that hence thinking sticking to vga.

In fact looking at my preferred monitor it only offers HDMI or VGA so likely to go vga I guess

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.