• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 288
  • Total: 288
  • Google
  • Bingbot
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

At the right hand end of the "To" box I have both CC and BCC buttons. Hopefully yours is the same.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 18, 2014, 09:46:07 AM
At the right hand end of the "To" box I have both CC and BCC buttons. Hopefully yours is the same.

Staring me right in the face!

My blind spots are getting bigger, I wasn't awake yet (even though I managed to set up the poll without hiccups), or Gmail had a glitch. (I did look in the 'To' box, even adding more recipients, to see if I could conjure up the button.) I'll never know the truth.

Thanks H.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

Lightroom print module - again.

I really am a sucker for punishment. Tried to print a 'contact' sheet: changed the page size to A4, the printer settings to A4, and LR still displays a non A4 shaped preview - then prints with the edges missing.

They should just remove the print module - it's rubbish.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

donoreo

Do you have the language settings for Lightroom set correctly?  I am just wondering if you have it set to US English rather than UK English.  I have seen programs where that messes with all sorts of settings because it assumes measurements, etc, are set to match the language. 

Hinfrance

Don the only choice for English in LR is, well, English, which I presume is US English. The default page size is US legal, which is why I always have to change it to A4 to match my printer. Only this morning with LR 5.6 it didn't change the paper size: this afternoon after today's update to 5.7 it appears to be co-operating for the time being.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

ABERS

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 19, 2014, 09:46:07 AM

Not having heard anything from you on the subject for quite a while Howard, I thought you had got the hang of it.

Best thing since sliced bread!

I've got the same sort of problem with a digital timer that I bought recently.It now resides somewhere at the back of the workshop!

donoreo

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 19, 2014, 02:18:55 PM
Don the only choice for English in LR is, well, English, which I presume is US English. The default page size is US legal, which is why I always have to change it to A4 to match my printer. Only this morning with LR 5.6 it didn't change the paper size: this afternoon after today's update to 5.7 it appears to be co-operating for the time being.
I hate when they do they. The spellings are all wrong :)  Apple annoys me, they have US English, English, UK English, AUS English, but not Canadian.  We use a mix of UK and US spelling - colour and the other "our" words but we do things like realize the US way. 

ABERS

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 19, 2014, 09:46:07 AM

I really am a sucker for punishment. Tried to print a 'contact' sheet: changed the page size to A4, the printer settings to A4, and LR still displays a non A4 shaped preview - then prints with the edges missing.

Howard you are not alone in your frustration.

I attended a session last night in a newly created group within the club for B+W enthusiasts and those that have expressed an interest in the genre. The first meeting concerned the production of a print using different papers and inks that suited the image and people were asked to bring images printed on at least two different paper types for comparison.

The majority of those present used the LR print module and invariably the question was asked  'How do you proceed with the module?' I was amazed at the number of different answers! Some used the straightforward step by step approach that I'm familiar with whilst others went off on a confusing and intricate mazey type of method, that eventually led to a print, but seemed to go around the houses two or three times in getting there.

Two other things that came out of the session, and of which I was already  aware and in great cost in paper, was that B+W print quality can be compromised adversely by using the wrong paper/ink match with the image in question.

That's the beauty of a club, close cooperation and the sharing of ideas and procedures is much easier than distance learning.

Hinfrance

Well Alan, luckily I don't do much home printing, only having an A4 printer, just the odd little picture for here and there in the house. I use plain old Epson Matt paper and whatever the ink is in the printer. I am still very happy with my now 'retired' software, Qimage, which always does a far better job than Lightroom. There is a new all singing all dancing version HERE, but it's way too fancy for me ;)

Alas there isn't a club any where near me, so I have to rely on your advice here.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

spinner

Adobe Flash, seems every time I log into my browser I'm getting nagged to update Flash. Whats wrong with Flash it needs updating every week it seems.  >:(
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

spinner

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 27, 2014, 01:07:03 PM
Well Alan, luckily I don't do much home printing, only having an A4 printer, just the odd little picture for here and there in the house. I use plain old Epson Matt paper and whatever the ink is in the printer. I am still very happy with my now 'retired' software, Qimage, which always does a far better job than Lightroom. There is a new all singing all dancing version HERE, but it's way too fancy for me ;)

Alas there isn't a club any where near me, so I have to rely on your advice here.

I've pretty much given up on home printing. The infrequency of my printing is such that I seem to end up with 4 out of 6 cartridges dried out every time I turn on the printer, even after installing refills. They don't seem to last more than a couple of months idle.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

ABERS

For me a print is the culmination of the photographic process. I learned my photography in the days when to be regarded as some sort of photographer you took the picture, you developed the film, you printed the image and finally mounted and presented it. Each step was an important part of the whole.

I suppose I produce perhaps on average two to three prints a month, but then again that's all the images I produce, those that I think are worth looking at at least. Getting prints done by an outside facility is like assembling all the ingredients for a cake and then getting someone else to bake it!

Everyone to his/her own. ;)

Hinfrance

I learnt my photography in the black and white darkroom I had installed in my basement (sounds expensive, it wasn't, just the old coal cellar part with a worktop, sink and a few power points). Even then I would rarely print a larger version of anything and even more rarely show it at the club or otherwise.

So infrequent printing is something I am used to.

As for getting prints done by an outside facility, for many of us it is the only option for anything above A4. We have already done all of our image manipulation in the digital realm, all the printer has to do is accurately reproduce that, which in my experience they generally do very well.

Besides which, you don't make your own car do you? You leave that to the experts  :legit:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 29, 2014, 09:55:14 AM
Besides which, you don't make your own car do you? You leave that to the experts  :legit:

Unless you are the expert, of course.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

jinky

Quote from: Reinardina on November 29, 2014, 10:05:54 AM
Quote from: Hinfrance on November 29, 2014, 09:55:14 AM

Unless you are the expert, of course.

But of course even the experts might struggle to keep running a full darkroom to print colour and B&W nowadays. I too learned  my photography initially  with film and have great memories of using the dark room for B&W work. never made it to colour printing though and I`m glad of the properly set up printers who deliver the results for me now on the rare occasions that I ask them too. The difference between the pro lab results and the likes of Photobox etc are often quite marked though ... and recently I feel the gap is widening. Just got 2 calendars and a set of Christmas cards back from Photobox having finally used the £30 credit they gave me for their last shambolic attempt to print a book properly that took 4 attempts to get it right. I haven`t the heart to say that the cards are adequate but the calendar colours are markedly out being a little dark and unsaturated. I`ll let then off this time  :doh:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.