• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 94
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 140
  • Total: 140
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Anyone got one? tried one?

Started by Karen, February 10, 2014, 01:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

I have been very impressed with a fellow photographers work and quality using the Samsung NX300 system and have been researching this camera. Does anyone have any input having owned or tried one?

Karen

Oh well Ive bitten the bullet and ordered one so I'll let you know  :)

donoreo

Karen

Took delivery of a samsung nx300 today so will let you know how i get on with it. Initially seems to have a good build quality and the lenses seem a good weight.

Hinfrance

Saw some examples in the Samsung shop over the weekend - very smart looking system.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

donoreo

Karen

Havent had one moment to get out this week. Hoping to try it out at weekend. Initial inside shots look excellent in low light

Karen

OK got out for a short time today although weather was the usual drab. Shot in Raw. It uses SRW files which my photomatix software wont recognise so any I wish to use with this have to go through lightroom first. No obvious shutter lag and the files wrote to the camera very quickly. I found it difficult to get used to no EVF and I think this will be on going with me so if they bring one out as an accessory as with the previous model I'll likely be first in queue. I just find it so much easier to frame with EVF but then I have been using one for 38 years...get with the times Karen lol
The screen however is very versatile and can pull out and tilt for high and low shots this helps with direct light as well.
There's an I-function button on the lenses which is very well designed to be pressed with your thumb this gives quick access to most popular controls.
Autofocus is quick and the beauty of the touchscreen is you can move the focus point to a particular area with your finger. You can also zoom in as you would do on your phone to check focus.
Exposure bracketing was simple to allow for HDR merges. You can set the bracketed exposure to what you are in the habit of using re stops and it will remain there as default till you change it then its just as case of one button press holding down the shutter and the camera will take the desired 3 exposures.
I purchased the 18-55mm and the 50-200mm lenses but hope to add a couple later.
The battery life was perfectly acceptable. I was out all morning taking different shots to try out different features, did a firmware upgrade and still had 3 bars on my battery by evening.
The battery charges in camera as you would your phone although I have purchased a battery charger as I bought extra batteries.
There are a number of smart modes one called best face lol which takes a number of shots of a group then picks the best faces and merges into the best shot...haha don't think I'll be using that much.
You can bump the camera with your phone once you've downloaded the Samsung camera app and it has capacity to send photos to your phone as soon as you take them if you so wish. It also ha wifi so you can upload your photos from the camera to your favourite social media site.
The camera is well built and to be honest not that much smaller than my first Olympus OM10. The lenses are a good weight with metal attachments.
On first use I am well impressed with the quality of the actual shots...I will just have to compromise with the screen but then that's my personal taste.
Hope this helps anyone thinking of going down the compact system route.

donoreo

Nice initial review.  Do keep us posted as you find out more about it.  Every camera has it's own little quirks. 

Andrew

and this is what is missing - reviews. :(

Reviews off real people not Mr Rockwell or DP.

If funds stretch any time soon to the new XT-1 you can rest assured I would upload a review on it.
Right - off to Kickstarter to raise some funds  ;)
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.