Poll for ???scapeWeekly COMP: ENTRIES - ??...CHAT - A LITTLE BIT OF HI...Err codeWeekly COMP: CHAT - ???SC...ENTRIES - A LITTLE BIT OF...Poll for New LifeInfluential pictures. CHAT THREAD – NEW LIFEENTRIES THREAD – NEW LIFEPoll - Street FoodInspiring Image 13/5/2017Windows 10 Creators Editi...Missed ShotPOLL - Heat compWEEKLY COMP: ENTRIES - ST...

Author Topic: World Press Photo 2017  (Read 832 times)

Offline jinky

World Press Photo 2017
« on: February 14, 2017, 10:15:28 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-38955285
A unique moment captured or glorifying terrorism and giving the killer the martyrdom / celebrity he carved? Personally I cannot see how they gave this one the win. Other than it`s immediacy it gives nothing new.
In this clip I also fail to understand the 2nd place award in the long term project of the 2 Iranian girls (blurred ) dancing and appallingly lit.
I have always loved that Usain Bolt shot - deserved better for me, although the Grand National shot that won(not shown) was also very good.
Also love the Cuban truck shot, the panda and the poachers in handcuffs.
Where do you stand on the winner?

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
Re: World Press Photo 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 01:18:53 PM »
Below expectations was my immediate thought in response after opening the link.

Sensationalism's probably the worst thing from a photographic point of view when it obliterates achieving a photograph breathing Quality; but then it's instant media stuff where quality is usually the last in line of considerations. A big shame that the selection committee did not choose an image that celebrates and displays really good Photographic skills.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 02:06:54 PM by Beaux Reflets »

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 06:46:59 PM »
The Usain Bolt shot is class. One or two of the others are ok. The first one is nothing special photographically - but good for a news headline.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 08:05:30 PM »
The Usain Bolt shot is class. One or two of the others are ok. The first one is nothing special photographically - but good for a news headline.

Yes the Usain Bolt shot is way out in front  ;)  in my view as well.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 09:34:51 PM »
The whole point of the competition is to capture the event as it happens. The criteria is to get the shot and you only have one chance to do it. You can't recompose and redo the shot. You can't even get in the best position and, in a situation like that, people will be pushing past you, in a panic, to get out of the way. The photographer themselves, may be scared but they still got the shot. It's action shots that sell newspapers and the more graphic the higher the sales.  8)

Offline anglefire

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 09:01:19 PM »
Oldboy, I didn't look at the rules TBH - but 90% of the pictures didn't look like stressful once only shots - looked very staged and planned. Or is it just me!
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 10:13:18 AM »
Oldboy, I didn't look at the rules TBH - but 90% of the pictures didn't look like stressful once only shots - looked very staged and planned. Or is it just me!

I was mainly referring to the winning shot, at an art gallery in Ankara by Associated Press photographer Burhan Ozbilici, and I agree that some of the shots are staged.  :tup:

Offline anglefire

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 04:35:46 PM »
Yes the first shot is indeed stressful - but only because we know the circumstances.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Poll for ???scape International Weekly Comp Entries 56/0 jinky Last post May 23, 2017, 03:42:37 PM
xx Weekly COMP: ENTRIES - ???SCAPE - 14th - 21st May 2017 International Weekly Comp Entries 305/7 Oldboy Last post May 22, 2017, 07:38:00 PM
xx CHAT - A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY 21-28th May 2017 International Weekly Comp Entries 138/1 DigiDiva Last post May 22, 2017, 07:42:23 AM
xx Err code Photography Techniques and how to's 332/9 anglefire Last post May 22, 2017, 07:34:46 AM
xx Weekly COMP: CHAT - ???SCAPE - 14th - 21st May 2017 International Weekly Comp Entries 244/5 Jediboy Last post May 22, 2017, 02:05:25 AM
xx ENTRIES - A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY 21st-28th May 2017 International Weekly Comp Entries 45/0 jinky Last post May 21, 2017, 06:49:35 AM
xx Poll for New Life International Weekly Comp Entries 231/6 jinky Last post May 21, 2017, 06:45:01 AM
xx Influential pictures. General Discussion 329/8 jinky Last post May 18, 2017, 10:30:20 AM