• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 50
  • Total: 50
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Gear failure

Started by Double5, September 12, 2013, 08:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double5

I was covering the Calke Abbey 10k event for a race photo company on Sunday.
I had just taken a shot of the winner coming to the finish line, when my 40D locked up and refused to fire. Luckily I had taken my son's 1100D along with me to save time swapping the 24-70 with the 70-200. So I quickly put the 70-200 on the 1100D and carried on. I had hardly ever used the 1100D so I was struggling to remember where all the controls were.
A couple of lessons learned. 1 always have a backup and 2 make sure you are familiar with the backup if it's not the same as your main body.
Looks like I will be trawling ebay for a second 40D :rofl:
Just had the estimate from Lehmanns, £162.00 just tom clean and service it and a they will then let me know if it will cost any more to repair it. Luckily it is covered on my house insurance, but the excess is £100.00, so I will just about break even on this one :'(

Here are a few shots from the day. No pp other than  resized for the web.

Oldboy

Quote from: Double5 on September 12, 2013, 08:12:48 AM
Just had the estimate from Lehmanns, £162.00 just tom clean and service it and a they will then let me know if it will cost any more to repair it. Luckily it is covered on my house insurance, but the excess is £100.00, so I will just about break even on this one :'(

My Nikon D3 cost £569 to repair so, £162 isn't too bad.  :'(

Great series of shots.  :tup:

Hinfrance

It must be horrible when a camera just locks up like that on a job.

I once borrowed a Canon from my neighbour (just for some snaps) and that packed up after about half a dozen shots (E06, whatever that means), most frustrasting, but luckily I have not so far had any similar issues with my Pentax bodies, even though I once had to chisel a flash lead off of my K20D when I stupidly out it on the wrong way around. Amazingly everything still worked, but I have to admit I thought it was going to be goner after that.

I'm impressed that your household insurance covers mechanical failure. Don't tell everyone who they are or we'll all want a policy. ;)

Seriously, hope you get it back soon and that it does only need the basic service.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Double5

I think the camera took a knock in transit, as 1 of the pins on the lens mount was depressed, meaning it would not communicate with the body.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.