What bemused you today?Full Colour PollENTRIES-FULL COLOUR-Weekl...Inspiring Image 13/5/2017POLL THREAD - Modes of Tr...CHAT-FULL COLOUR-Weekly c...CHAT - SUMMER PASTIMES 1...ENTRIES - SUMMER PASTIME...Wedding photography- ligh...What annoyed you today?ENTRY THREAD - - Modes o...ISPPoll - Something ModernPoll won't 'post'CHAT THREAD - Modes of Tr...ENTRY THREAD - Something ...

Author Topic: What bemused you today?  (Read 293932 times)

Offline Oldboy

Re: What bemused you today?
« Reply #2520 on: December 08, 2016, 09:57:38 PM »
What bemused me today was the Co op bank sending me an E-mail asking me to retrieve my account , Which they had locked for security reasons 

I'm certainly not stupid  and I don't have an account with them.

I had to clear my cookies and history after as I had clicked on the link to see what they wanted me to do   

they asked for my sort code  account number or credit card number. Ha ha ha

Be careful about clicking on links contained in spurious emails. I never do, but the reason for suggesting caution is that my anti-virus program gave me a pop up warning this week about an html file in an email that had just come in. I regularly see the signs of removed zip files in emails, but this is the first in a while that was html related.

Never click or open an email that you don't recognize or know who it's from. Click or opening any email could run code which you don't see running but could load all sorts of nasties on your computer. I just click the report spam button and then delete it from my mail.  8)

Offline Beryl

• Woldlife & Poetry
« Reply #2521 on: December 08, 2016, 11:22:24 PM »
Yes you are right.
 At first thought it was to do with my  loyalty card and was gong to ask them why, until I clicked on  "Click here to retrieve account" I cleared all the cookies and history.
My son is an IT consultant he told me about the codes when you click on a link and gathering info.
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

Offline StephenBatey

• Old but still developing - in Rodinal
    • stephenbatey/
« Reply #2522 on: December 09, 2016, 12:46:54 AM »
It's more than just cookies that's the issue. If you click on a link and open a page in a web browser, unless it's a very basic text only site, you're going to be executing html code on your computer. Html code, just like any other, can load a virus. Some browsers block sites known to be infected; some "big names" have been hacked and infected in the past. I never click on a link in an email unless I'm certain that I not only know the person it purports to come from, but am sure that they would send such an email as well. I often get emails supposedly from people I know which consist of a simple message like "Hi Stephen, you might be interested in this link". I know the people well enough to know that they would never send such an email, and it gets deleted.

I've used a basic Windows 3.1 email program for years (since I had to switch from a better OS/2 one when OS/2 was discontinued). It fails to respond to html code and shows everything text only, which is safe. The downside is that some people send htlm mail, so I get "From" appearing as ?utf-8?B?QnJpZ2h0b24gJiBIb3ZlIENpdHkgQ291bmNpbA==?= with a subject of ?utf-8?B?QnVzIHBhc3MgcmVuZXdhbCBhcHBsaWNhdGlvbiA=?= (actual example, using copy and paste of From and Subject of an email from Brighton Council about my bus pass renewal). This obscurity is a price worth paying for me, knowing that plain text doesn't actually result in anything being executed.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:48:50 AM by StephenBatey »

Offline Beryl

• Woldlife & Poetry
« Reply #2523 on: December 09, 2016, 07:39:49 AM »
Yes. You are right. My son explained it all to me. I didn't know about the links and the things that can happen when you click on them. Luckily I don't do any online banking and keep all my passes  else where. It's amazing what hackers can do.
This page just asked for you sort code account number or a credit card number. Bit of a give away.
My niece's mum fell for it and was taken for £550.
My eldest son is a policeman. The first time I had a scam was a phone call telling me I had a virus. I said "|No I haven't" my so said "Now you have just told him you have a computer" :uglystupid2:
You have to be so careful.
Thanks for the advice Stephen and Oldboy :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 07:42:50 AM by Beryl »
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #2524 on: December 17, 2016, 01:02:10 PM »
Been out this morning braving the crowds of bovine eyed Christmas shoppers. Normally I go into town early to catch the shops when they open, surgical strike, but Mrs H wanted to come with me today and getting a woman to move her *rse is a struggle at the best of times; first thing on a Saturday morning is not the best of times. So we were late, and hit the immutable mass of wandering vacuity and dull wit that characterises this time of year especially. Aargh!

And none of the shops had any ducks.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #2525 on: December 17, 2016, 05:07:41 PM »

And none of the shops had any ducks.

Take some bread to the local pond and you should find plenty!  :P

Offline chris2pher

« Reply #2526 on: February 02, 2017, 10:36:56 PM »
My very first dslr (canon 700d) that I've had a month fell off my tripod onto hard floor. Most of it works apart from in manual and press the shutter and the mirror goes up, but it doesn't fall until I press the shutter again. Majorly pissed off. Will this be expensive to fix?

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #2527 on: February 15, 2017, 09:08:33 PM »
I'm saying this here and not in either the annoyed or happy threads, because I don't know how I feel.

I've actually received the money for my Discovery that I technically sold at the end of January - but had to fix a couple of things before it went - one was a split (at the join) exhaust which took about 1/2 hour to sort and no cost - the other a self inflicted mistake that cost the thick end of £500 :(

Came to to the transfer online tonight - and the service is only available 7am to 7pm  :(

So I am annoyed I can't actually do the "paperwork" and happy that it is sold to someone that will use it properly and bemused that I don't know if I'm happy or sad.

It's the longest I've owned a car, except for a Rover P6 3500S, but that only did about 2000miles in 20years. I've done some 174000 in the 7 years I've owned the Disco - and driven all bar about 4or5k of them - the rest being a mate of mine on off road trips.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #2528 on: March 16, 2017, 08:00:22 PM »
The universe was created by a quantum fluctuation of the vacuum according to the scientists, also called a false vacuum which could collapse at any moment. Is this pixelated building precede the collapse of the vacuum?  :o

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #2529 on: June 07, 2017, 08:50:02 AM »
When I woke up this morning my allegedly 'radio controlled' alarm clock displayed 14:43, 24th March. Presumably it must have been hacked by the Russians, as they are responsible for everything that goes wrong with computery things.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #2530 on: June 08, 2017, 12:04:07 PM »
When I woke up this morning my allegedly 'radio controlled' alarm clock displayed 14:43, 24th March. Presumably it must have been hacked by the Russians, as they are responsible for everything that goes wrong with computery things.

How do you know a computer is at fault?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #2531 on: June 08, 2017, 02:14:59 PM »
You mean you think it might have been THEM interfering with the radio signal from Germany? Mmm, better reinforce the tinfoil hat.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #2532 on: June 08, 2017, 04:51:10 PM »
Or it could be correct, and you haven't realised you've lost all sense of time.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Simple

« Reply #2533 on: June 09, 2017, 09:22:09 AM »
I do not know how old your clock is, but the millennium bug might have finally arrived.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #2534 on: June 09, 2017, 06:00:17 PM »
I do not know how old your clock is, but the millennium bug might have finally arrived.

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx What bemused you today? General Discussion 293932/2536 Reinardina Last post Today at 08:57:28 AM
xx Full Colour Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 80/0 jinky Last post June 20, 2017, 06:40:22 AM
xx ENTRIES-FULL COLOUR-Weekly Comp 12-18 June 2017 International Weekly Comp Entries 258/6 kerry holt Last post June 19, 2017, 09:22:29 PM
xx Inspiring Image 13/5/2017 Golden Oldies / Most Inspiring Images 249/3 Reinardina Last post June 19, 2017, 05:03:05 PM
xx POLL THREAD - Modes of Transport - weekly comp 4 June - 11 June 2017 International Weekly Comp Entries 457/13 DigiDiva Last post June 19, 2017, 08:49:16 AM
xx CHAT-FULL COLOUR-Weekly comp 12-18 June 2017 International Weekly Comp Entries 246/5 Jediboy Last post June 19, 2017, 08:38:22 AM
xx CHAT - SUMMER PASTIMES 18-25th June 2017 International Weekly Comp Entries 134/2 jinky Last post June 18, 2017, 07:39:13 PM
xx ENTRIES - SUMMER PASTIMES 18-25TH jUNE 2017 International Weekly Comp Entries 43/0 jinky Last post June 18, 2017, 08:02:08 AM