• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 52
  • Total: 52
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What made you feel good today

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 15, 2017, 10:25:05 AM
For those of you who have not driven a recent BMW, the reason drivers hardly ever indicate is because it is almost impossible to turn the bl**dy things off once they have started. I drove a 3.0D M5 Sport from here in SW France to Reading (a visiting friend had to fly back to the UK urgently, I drove it home for him) - and spent most of the trip trying to turn the indicators off, they don't work in a sensible way like they do in most cars. You have to turn them 'on' again to cancel them, but most of the time they just stay on. So you flick the stalk to the opposite side and then that one starts and won't stop. Much easier to just not bother. The cruise control was just as weird. And as for the entertainment system, I just gave up. Did nothing for me to be honest. The Beemer was obviously faster than my humble Mondeo (but nowhere near my Predator tuned 'vette, obv) but rolled a lot more in the corners (probably because my friend is an animal behind the wheel and it was completely worn out). The biggest shock of the journey was the price of a last minute one way ticket through the Chunnel. I told the guy I only wanted to go through it once, not buy it . .

I didn't have a major issue when I drove it - apart from judging how far to press it to get them on and not just three flash. It's not the first car I've driven with this sort of indicator though but can't say I'm a major fan!

It will be the quickest car I've ever owned - sub 6seconds to 62mph and onwards to 155limited. Which I'll never see except perhaps Germany if I'm lucky! ut I've not bought it for the out and out figures.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

Those performance figures are very impressive. Enjoy it, and the fuel economy too. Great all rounder car, but those indicators would be a deal breaker for me.  ::)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

anglefire

Got it tonight. Indicators are ok so far - but no gone far in it yet. Working out the computer/media/st nav is going to take some time.

I do like it that you can set the destination from your phone - or from the contacts list address.
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

SimonW

Remember when a new car was all about the engine and suspension?
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

anglefire

True - but this has that too - the 3ltr BMW unit is legendary and the suspension seems to work nicely even on the roads around here - but got to drive it in anger yet - Lincoln on Tuesday and Sheffield Thursday should give it a good test.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Paul Montgomery

The thing I like about cars like that isn't the out and out performance (though that is fun under the right circumstances  :) ) But how effortless everything is - you arrive at the bottom of a steep hill doing 40mph and it carries on up the hill at 40mph - no changing down and revving it to try and avoid slowing down...

anglefire

I've done about 500miles now since I got it last weekend - averaging 43mpg without really trying - same sort of speeds as in my Disco, though I have booted it a couple of times to get the feel for it - so about 18mpg better  :tup:

I went up a small hill last night at 60 (The limit) and it just went up, no gearchange, nothing just sat in 8th at about 1400rpm - the Disco would have dropped a cog for sure.

I updated the satnav to the latest version from BMW - £70 for 2years worth of updates - thought that very reasonable for a manufacturer - especially when the same version from a "independent" site is £40 for a once only update.

When I filled up yesterday from about 20miles range left, it only took 65ltrs and the range then jumped to over 700miles  :dance:

A couple of things irritate - the door mirrors don't drop to the curb when putting it into reverse - no rear reversing camera (The former I never even gave a thought about, the latter I knew) - its amazing how much you miss that sort of thing!

As for the indicators - not a problem. The function may have changed since you tried - the only time it has caught me out is when they have self cancelled just before I do it - but flicking the stalk either way makes them stop as far as I can see.

But on the whole I am liking it.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

Sounds like you're really enjoying your new motor - long may it continue. Not sure I could live with 'only' 43mpg - although that is exactly what I got out of my friend's manual 3.0 BMW over the 650 miles I drove it. That auto box sounds superb, why go manual any more? My Mondeo always does over 50mpg and the Skoda nearer 60mpg. Yeah, OK, the Corvette only does 25 or 30 on a motorway run. But you can't have everything ;)

I'm looking forward to when the current generation of cars are old enough for me to actually buy one  :o
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 27, 2017, 08:40:34 AM
My Mondeo always does over 50mpg and the Skoda nearer 60mpg. Yeah, OK, the Corvette only does 25 or 30 on a motorway run. But you can't have everything ;)

By the sound of it, you've got everything!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Paul Montgomery

Sounds good, Mark.
I thought they all came with the dipping mirrors. IIRC Only the passenger side dips - and then only if the mirror control selector switch is set to *drivers* side...

anglefire

I'd assumed they all did Paul - but no, its not got memory seats, so no dipping mirrors - I've adjusted them a little lower as standard - still see behind normally absolutely fine, but see more road - TBH they were probably too high and seeing too much "sky"!

But WMFGT - last trip out off road in the Land Rover - off to Wales in a little while to do some green lanes - shame the weather is forecast to be so bad we may not get the good views. :(
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

QuoteNot sure I could live with 'only' 43mpg

When you are used to an average of just under 25mpg for the last 170000 miles it feels good! Just don't do the sums!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

Just sold my Metz macro flash on eBay for twice the amount I paid for it. That's a result I feel.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

jinky

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 30, 2017, 12:52:22 PM
Just sold my Metz macro flash on eBay for twice the amount I paid for it. That's a result I feel.
Result! What is it with some online shopping? I sold a Nikon sb600 for more than I paid for it too but on a Facebook gear group. Didn`t realise how much I`d paid for it until I found the receipt in the box when I packed it up for him. Felt guilty - he used it once for a wedding (which it really isn`t strong enough for) and then was trying to sell it for the same again without success! Ah well  ;)

jinky

All a bit of a shock but yesterday, 3 weeks early my first grand-daughter arrived! Having been pulled in for an emergency scan after the midwife detected that the baby had not grown in the 3 weeks since last visit my daughter`s waters broke, she started contractions and 24 hours later  our 6lb 5 oz  precious one arrived. No name yet unless you count TBC (to be confirmed in the words of my son in law). So exciting but I have both daughters in hospital just now with the other one having had surgery this week. It never rains... Seems I`m not allowed to go on facebook or post pictures on the net yet but the collection will grow after my first visit today.  :) :) :)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.