• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 169
  • Total: 169
  • Google
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

D3100 or D5100 for a beginner?

Started by Sarasocke, April 06, 2012, 04:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasocke

A friend of mine will be buying his first DSLR soon and has asked my advice. A difficult one, as I've not really kept up to date on these 4 figure cameras.

The difference in price for the body is 157€.

My friends will be going to Namibia at the end of the year and I recommended the 70-300 lense which I love. This costs around 500€. For 265€ he could get the 55-300 lense - do you reckon the 70-300 is worth almost double the price?

I have two lenses, a Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 ( Amazon), new price 537€, and a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 (Amazon), new price 340€, either of which I would sell to him for 50% of the new price to match up with the 70-300.

Either camera also comes with two kit lenses. The 3100 with 18-55 and 55-300 753€ and the 5100 with 18-55 and 55-200 for 839€.

So the question is: a 3100 or a 5100? Then with kit lenses or the combination of the 70-300 and one of my lenses?

What do you guys reckon?
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Carlj

Can't really comment on the lenses, but the 5100 every time for the body. The 16mp sensor whether in the Sony A55/580, Nikon d7000/5100 or Pentax K5 has won plaudits everywhere.

And doesn't the 5100 have a vari-angle screen - that's a bonus too.

Sarasocke

The screen would be a bonus for me if I were buying the camera, for sure. I have a little Pana G3 and I just love that screen!
With my Nikon (D700) I never use live view.

Thanks for your help, Carl!
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Sarasocke

Anyone else with any comments/ideas?

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Alfonso_Frisk

I am presuming your friend is off on safari?
Both my son and a pal have been on safari in the past year or so and both had 300mm lenses. They both commented that 300mm was not enough at most times during their stays.
Perhaps investing in some second hand gear including long zoom or tele-convertor might be the way to go ?
There are some decent bargains out there to be found. For example I just bought a second hand Fuji S5 pro with a shutter count of 800 for 445 notes.  :tup:
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Hinfrance

If it's Namibia I reckon it needs to be dustproof, which for that budget means it has to be a second hand Nikon (300 for example) or a Pentax. I can vouch for the K5, it's brilliant, but still a little too dear new I fear. But K20 and K10s are weathersealed too. And probably cheap second hand, although I've not looked. There is a reasonably priced Pentax 55-300 WR available too.

Although for a safari my main recommendation would be a peg for the nose (African wildlife absolutely reeks).
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.